Chicago Cubs 2014 Season Thread (super-official)

Cubs have claimed Cole Hamels off waivers. It will be very interesting to see if the Cubs can swing a deal for him. I think Hamels has 4 years left on his contract.

If I understand the rules, the Cubs have 2 days from the time they claimed him to reach a deal. Addison Russell and another prospect or two is most likely the asking price. It could be an interesting next couple of days.

If I read the stat correctly, Baez is the first player in more than 60 years to hit at least 3 HRs in this first 3 MLB games, and he's the first Cub to ever accomplish that feat.
That's an incredible stat. Initially I though of Tuffy Rhodes hitting 3 on opening day for the Cubs, but I believe he played in the majors for Houston for a few years prior to coming to the Cubs.

On a side note, Bryant homered for Iowa again tonight.

If I understand the rules, the Cubs have 2 days from the time they claimed him to reach a deal. Addison Russell and another prospect or two is most likely the asking price. It could be an interesting next couple of days.

Giving up Russell seems like a steep price for a 30-year old pitcher, especially considering the Cubs are still probably 2 years away. Maybe Hamels is worth it if Theo and the gang think this team is a legit playoff contender next year, but otherwise, I think they have to keep Russell.

Giving up Russell seems like a steep price for a 30-year old pitcher, especially considering the Cubs are still probably 2 years away. Maybe Hamels is worth it if Theo and the gang think this team is a legit playoff contender next year, but otherwise, I think they have to keep Russell.
Agree, Russell has been compared to guys like Jeter and Barry Larkin. Will he ever be that good? Hard to say. The point is, he as much or more potential than anyone in the organization so I would consider him untouchable at this point.

Cubs claim Jacob Turner from Marlins today. Good move for the Cubs. This kid is only 23 and was a major prospect at one time. It appears the Cubs will not have to give up much for him.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24650555/reports-cubs-claim-jacob-turner?

Sounds like they gave up Tyler Bremer and Jose Arias, both were A-Level relievers. If they can finish the Hamels deal, they'll have the makings of a pretty solid pitching staff. They'll just be a true ace (Max Scherzer in the offseason?) away from a playoff-caliber group.

True Ace
Hamels
Arrieta
Turner
Wood

Sounds like they gave up Tyler Bremer and Jose Arias, both were A-Level relievers. If they can finish the Hamels deal, they'll have the makings of a pretty solid pitching staff. They'll just be a true ace (Max Scherzer in the offseason?) away from a playoff-caliber group.

True Ace
Hamels
Arrieta
Turner
Wood
I have confidence in the pitching coach. All things considered, outside of Jackson, the starting pitching hasn't been too bad this year. If you put a true ace with that group, it could be a solid staff. I truly expect the Cubs to be more competitive this year, and then to really make a run in 2016. They are set up for long-term success.

IowaCubsGameDay‏@IowaCubsGameDay·49 mins

Jorge Soler doubles home Bryant! Soler is 2-2 with a HR, 2B, 2BB,and 3RBI...only in the 6th inning! Iowa leads 8-3. T6.

Scherzer is going to cost way too much...think 200 million.

Give Lester 5 years/100-120 million and swing the trade for Hamels and next year could be a lot of fun.

I would give up what we got from Oakland in order to get Hamels in a heartbeat. I would even be tempted to make the deal if they asked for Russell and Almora.

This is why Theo/Hoyer stocked the cupboard full ot top shelf position prospects...to acquire pitching. Bryant, Castro, Baez and Rizzo would look just fine in the infield next spring. Alcantara, Soler and Coghlan in the outfield. Schwarber could be up at the end of next year to play OF or catcher, I think he is destined for the OF though.

The Phillies have pulled Hamels back from waivers. I'm guessing they asked for Russell and Theo said no. A low risk high reward type of deal getting Turner. He was once one of the top pitching prospects in all of baseball. Hopefully a change of scenery will benefit the Cubs here.

Scherzer is going to cost way too much...think 200 million.

Give Lester 5 years/100-120 million and swing the trade for Hamels and next year could be a lot of fun.

I would give up what we got from Oakland in order to get Hamels in a heartbeat. I would even be tempted to make the deal if they asked for Russell and Almora.

This is why Theo/Hoyer stocked the cupboard full ot top shelf position prospects...to acquire pitching. Bryant, Castro, Baez and Rizzo would look just fine in the infield next spring. Alcantara, Soler and Coghlan in the outfield. Schwarber could be up at the end of next year to play OF or catcher, I think he is destined for the OF though.

Why the heck would Theo give up his highest level prospect when they aren't even competing right now? That would be sheer insanity, as they will have a chance to sign someone WITHOUT giving up a prospect. They can always trade going forward, now isn't the time.

Why the heck would Theo give up his highest level prospect when they aren't even competing right now? That would be sheer insanity, as they will have a chance to sign someone WITHOUT giving up a prospect. They can always trade going forward, now isn't the time.

Who said Theo should give up Bryant?

If you thnk all these position players are going to make it to Chicago, you are wrong. The Hamels situation is a moot point now, as noted above.

And they have a CHANCE to sign somebody this offseason, why not take the guarantee of acquiring Hamels instead of bidding against all the other big spenders in baseball and only have a chance of landing a player?

Who said Theo should give up Bryant?

If you thnk all these position players are going to make it to Chicago, you are wrong. The Hamels situation is a moot point now, as noted above.

And they have a CHANCE to sign somebody this offseason, why not take the guarantee of acquiring Hamels instead of bidding against all the other big spenders in baseball and only have a chance of landing a player?

I never said all of those position player will be successful in Chicago.

Well we both know that Theo agrees with me, cause the deal didn't happen. It is just a dumb idea for a bottom 10 team to trade away a top level prospect. Contending isn't in the cards for this year, so you build for next year in the offseason. The goal is to GAIN high level talent now, not trade it away.

I never said all of those position player will be successful in Chicago.

Well we both know that Theo agrees with me, cause the deal didn't happen. It is just a dumb idea for a bottom 10 team to trade away a top level prospect. Contending isn't in the cards for this year, so you build for next year in the offseason. The goal is to GAIN high level talent now, not trade it away.

And Hamels has 4 years left on his deal. There is no guarantee an arm as talented as his will be there in a year or two and will want to sign with the Cubs.

And where are you seeing Russell is the highest rated prospect in the Cubs system? Link please.

And Hamels has 4 years left on his deal. There is no guarantee an arm as talented as his will be there in a year or two and will want to sign with the Cubs.

And where are you seeing Russell is the highest rated prospect in the Cubs system? Link please.

IPA, no biggie, Theo and I just disagree with you, thats all.

I should have said top ranked prospectS. Russell, Baez, Bryant, Solar, Almor, Alcantara....any of them. Hamels isn't worth giving up any of them THIS YEAR. When/if they are in the playoff hunt, it is a different story. Reportedly they wanted Russell, as he didn't have to go through waivers, and Theo said no.

Randy Wehofer‏@RandyWehofer·54 mins

Kris Bryant blasts HR #38 into the OKC bullpen. Back into a tie for MiLB HR lead. Now has 97RBI #Cubs

IPA, no biggie, Theo and I just disagree with you, thats all.

I should have said top ranked prospectS. Russell, Baez, Bryant, Solar, Almor, Alcantara....any of them. Hamels isn't worth giving up any of them THIS YEAR. When/if they are in the playoff hunt, it is a different story. Reportedly they wanted Russell, as he didn't have to go through waivers, and Theo said no.

Lulz, it's Soler and Almora.

Randy Wehofer‏@RandyWehofer·54 mins

Kris Bryant blasts HR #38 into the OKC bullpen. Back into a tie for MiLB HR lead. Now has 97RBI #Cubs
Bryant is a monster who I strongly believe will be successful at the major league level.
Baez said yesterday that he's not changing his approach because he strikes out a lot. I would like to see him shorten up his swing with 2 strikes.

What impresses me most with Bryant is his OBP .448 on the year .533 in his last 10 games. That suggests he has great plate dicipline to go along with his ability to hit for average and power.

Latest posts