Chicago Cubs 2014 Season Thread (super-official)

Dude is throwing really well lately. Sad to see another no no go late, but maybe it's a sign he'll get one soon. Some of those pitches in the 8th were sick.

That's nice to think about, but they aren't built for the playoffs right now. They're built to receive a high draft pick and trade bait. Next year, though, and two years from now, look out. Studs at Iowa are fun to watch play.

Dude is throwing really well lately. Sad to see another no no go late, but maybe it's a sign he'll get one soon. Some of those pitches in the 8th were sick.

However, a shutout is always welcomed....great game last night...good way to start the series...

That's nice to think about, but they aren't built for the playoffs right now. They're built to receive a high draft pick and trade bait. Next year, though, and two years from now, look out. Studs at Iowa are fun to watch play.

I think the pitching staff is a almost ready for a go at things. My real hope is they would hit the button sooner rather than later. I'm ok with trying and failing rather than saying we are not trying. I just think as a leadership group that sounds better to me as a player than the Cubs current message. Rizzo and co have done a great job on keeping their mouths shut on this i think.

I think the pitching staff is a almost ready for a go at things. My real hope is they would hit the button sooner rather than later. I'm ok with trying and failing rather than saying we are not trying. I just think as a leadership group that sounds better to me as a player than the Cubs current message. Rizzo and co have done a great job on keeping their mouths shut on this i think.

The pitching staff has been pretty solid. I think Shark, Jake, Wood, and Hammels is a pretty solid top 4. I would be good with trading Jackson, though we know that's not going to happen. Unfortunately, 2 or 3 of the other 4 will probably be gone this year. It's the right move, but the overly optimistic or hopeful side of me says if we could keep the core starters, maybe a couple of these kids will be ready next year. Go out and sign one big bat, and another bullpen guy and you might be a playoff team. The truth is the young guys probably won't be ready to make a real difference until 2016.

Sounds like Cubs/A's might be working a trade. Either Hammels or Samardjza on the way out.

Ken Rosenthal‏@Ken_Rosenthal·27 mins
#Cubs in serious talks with #Athletics on big trade, sources tell me and @jonmorosi. If completed, Hammel and/or Samardzija would go to A’s

I know Theo is stressing patience, but ****...only 7.5/8 back of the Wildcard. Part of me wants to see them go for it.

Sounds like Cubs/A's might be working a trade. Either Hammels or Samardjza on the way out.

Ken Rosenthal‏@Ken_Rosenthal·27 mins
#Cubs in serious talks with #Athletics on big trade, sources tell me and @jonmorosi. If completed, Hammel and/or Samardzija would go to A’s

I know Theo is stressing patience, but ****...only 7.5/8 back of the Wildcard. Part of me wants to see them go for it.

My heart agrees with you. I know how rare it is for the Cubs to make the playoffs, so I want to see them go for broke when they have any sort of shot. My head knows that Theo and Jed have a minor league foundation that could set up the Cubs to make the playoffs for the next decade and it would probably be foolish to rush the process in a (probably futile) attempt to win now.

Deal appears to be done. Both Samardjza and Hammels are on their way out. **** ...****....****...

Ken Rosenthal‏@Ken_Rosenthal·3 mins
DEAL IS DONE: #Cubs send Samardzija and Hammel to #Athletics for Addison Russell, per sources. May be other players and team(s) involved.

FWIW, the Cubs got the A's best two minor league prospects in Russell and McKinney. Still, Samardzija AND Hammel?!

Don't know what to say....

Jason Parks‏@ProfessorParks·32 mins
Addison Russell will rank #6 overall on the upcoming #BPTop50. That would give the #Cubs the #3, #5, #6, and #18 best prospects in MiLB.

Don't know what to say....

Jason Parks‏@ProfessorParks·32 mins
Addison Russell will rank #6 overall on the upcoming #BPTop50. That would give the #Cubs the #3, #5, #6, and #18 best prospects in MiLB.

i do:
giphy.gif

FWIW, the Cubs got the A's best two minor league prospects in Russell and McKinney. Still, Samardzija AND Hammel?!

A follow up on this. Bleacher Nation says that McKinney, while the A's 2nd best prospect, will be in the "10-12 range" in the Cubs system. That's how good the Cubs minor league system is right now.

Count this Cub fan as excited for the future and firmly behind what the front office is building. Yea, it's hard to not look at what could be this season, but that's also the line of thinking that has kept the Cubs from being serious and consistent contenders. Besides, one or two of these perceived log jam players could be trade bait down the road. I think it's exciting, and, heck, go catch some I-Cubs games while the talent is there, they are fun to watch! Baez and Bryant each homered again yesterday. That Schwarber looks good, too.

OK guys, mark yesterday down as the date that everything starts to turn towards our decade of dominance. Alcantara gets 4 hits in his 2nd MLB game, and remember he is not one of the most talked about prospects. Then Molina gets hurt for the Cards and is out 3 months. Yesterday is the day the tides turn and the Cards start getting the bad luck and the Cubs start getting the good. Be forewarned Card fans, the Cubs Decade of Dominance is arriving very very soon!!! :D

OK guys, mark yesterday down as the date that everything starts to turn towards our decade of dominance. Alcantara gets 4 hits in his 2nd MLB game, and remember he is not one of the most talked about prospects. Then Molina gets hurt for the Cards and is out 3 months. Yesterday is the day the tides turn and the Cards start getting the bad luck and the Cubs start getting the good. Be forewarned Card fans, the Cubs Decade of Dominance is arriving very very soon!!! :D

And Rizzo wins the fan vote, so the only two current position players who are being counted on as part of the future both make the all-star team.

And Rizzo wins the fan vote, so the only two current position players who are being counted on as part of the future both make the all-star team.

AND the Cubs got another approval from the Landmark Commission, pushing Wrigley renovations one step closer to reality.

AND Addison Russel got his first hit(s) as a member of the Cubs' organization.

Yesterday was a very good day for the Cubs organization.

Latest posts