Chicago Cubs 2014 Season Thread (super-official)

Congrats to Donaldson. I forgot all about him after the Harden deal. The big piece from the 2007 draft was supposed to be Josh Vitters selected 3rd overall. He was once considered the top hitting prospect of the 2007 draft. Hopefully he can stay healthy and figure things out.

Alcantara playing some OF allows a possible opening for Baez and Russell at 2B. It should be fun to see what position they all end up playing. I'm sure a few of the prospects will end up as trade bait, only time will tell. For once their is a glimmer of hope for the future being a bright one.

Congrats to Donaldson. I forgot all about him after the Harden deal. The big piece from the 2007 draft was supposed to be Josh Vitters selected 3rd overall. He was once considered the top hitting prospect of the 2007 draft. Hopefully he can stay healthy and figure things out.

Alcantara playing some OF allows a possible opening for Baez and Russell at 2B. It should be fun to see what position they all end up playing. I'm sure a few of the prospects will end up as trade bait, only time will tell. For once their is a glimmer of hope for the future being a bright one.

Vitters just isn't ever gonna pan out, that ship has sailed I'm afraid.

Sounds like Baez turned 3 Double plays last night at 2B, which to me the footwork of the double play turn there and arm angle are the toughest parts to learn about the position. From reports looked smooth last night there. I've heard Russell is a better defensive SS than Baez even, but who knows. I'd be really interested in seeing Castro or Baez at 3B, then either Castro/Baez or Russell in the middle...think of the range our infield would have! Move Bryant to a Corner OF spot, Alcantara to CF (who could still play 2B if someone hits the DL). Then hopefully in a few years Schwarber or Soler takes over another Corner spot. What would be sweet is if Schwarber could play C for us for along time though, thus leaving a corner spot for Soler and Bryant and possibly Almora down the road. I hear rave reviews about Almora's "make up" all the time, he was out of high school so still very young.

Heading 65 miles down I-35 to Round Rock to see the Iowa Cubs this evening. Hoping that Bryant and Baez can keep up their hot streaks.

Darwin Barney has been designated for assignment. Too bad he couldn't be traded. Just never put it together this year. There is so much young talent in the organization at middle infield, you have to wonder if that had any affect on him. Or it just simply could be that he is what he is, and not much else should be expected of him.

Darwin Barney has been designated for assignment. Too bad he couldn't be traded. Just never put it together this year. There is so much young talent in the organization at middle infield, you have to wonder if that had any affect on him. Or it just simply could be that he is what he is, and not much else should be expected of him.

Part of the Barney DFA was activating Emilio Bonifacio. Rumors are that the Cubs are going to try everything to ship Bonifacio by the trade deadline. He's on a one-year contract, so that was probably the plan from the start, but his injury really threw curveball at that plan. The other rumor is that when/if Bonifacio is traded, the Cubs will call up Baez to be the starting 2B.

One thought I keep coming back to about all the infield talent the Cubs have, specifically in Baez, Castro, and Russell--

Maybe the Cubs' front office thinks that as they use the over-shift more and more, the 2B/SS/3B positions are becoming less and less different from each other, so it will be ideal to have 3 true shortstops on the field at the same time. This thought struck me last Friday when Miguel Montero laid down a bunt against the shift and Valbuena couldn't make the play. If Castro was playing "3B" in the shift, he probably gets over there and makes the play.

One thought I keep coming back to about all the infield talent the Cubs have, specifically in Baez, Castro, and Russell--

Maybe the Cubs' front office thinks that as they use the over-shift more and more, the 2B/SS/3B positions are becoming less and less different from each other, so it will be ideal to have 3 true shortstops on the field at the same time. This thought struck me last Friday when Miguel Montero laid down a bunt against the shift and Valbuena couldn't make the play. If Castro was playing "3B" in the shift, he probably gets over there and makes the play.

The great thing about SS is they can move to about any other position sans C really. If you are a decent fielding SS, you can usually be an above average fielding 3B, 2B, or OF.

Rizzo is freaking amazing. As much as the Cubs suck this year, his rise has made it bearable. Excited to see him in a Cubs uniform for a long time.

Rizzo is freaking amazing. As much as the Cubs suck this year, his rise has made it bearable. Excited to see him in a Cubs uniform for a long time.

Agreed. Thinking of Rizzo and Bryant batting 3-4 for the next decade makes this season worth it.

Soler being called up to Iowa. After starting the year out with an injury, he has batted around .400 in AA Tennessee.

Looks like Almora is also being promoted, heading to AA Tennessee to take Soler's spot.
I've never been this excited about the minor leagues in my entire life. I hope some of these guys end up being as good as it seems they are.

Mike Olt has been demoted to Iowa too. Tremendous power but straight guesser at the plate, just can't recognize a pitch to save his life. Will be interesting to see how they play both him and Bryant as far as playing time. I would really like to see them getting Bryant some OF time now myself. I'd be alternating him almost every game OF/3B. Russell still could be a couple years away too, so we may need Alcantara in the INF still? We are very thin at OF, take out Alcantara and there really isn't a guy in our OF we want to build around obviously right now. Soler might be coming soon, he still need to put a whole year together IMO. But he and Bryant at the corner OF spots is intriguing.
I agree Bonifacio will be gone soon if he shows he's healthy.
Barney was just never going to hit, we gave him plenty of time over the years.

Mike Olt has been demoted to Iowa too. Tremendous power but straight guesser at the plate, just can't recognize a pitch to save his life. Will be interesting to see how they play both him and Bryant as far as playing time. I would really like to see them getting Bryant some OF time now myself. I'd be alternating him almost every game OF/3B. Russell still could be a couple years away too, so we may need Alcantara in the INF still? We are very thin at OF, take out Alcantara and there really isn't a guy in our OF we want to build around obviously right now. Soler might be coming soon, he still need to put a whole year together IMO. But he and Bryant at the corner OF spots is intriguing.
I agree Bonifacio will be gone soon if he shows he's healthy.
Barney was just never going to hit, we gave him plenty of time over the years.
Olt has a lot to figure out, he isn't hopeless, but he clearly needs more time in the minors. We are a little thin in the OF, but I believe when the time is right, when Theo is ready to make the push, he will get an impact player in the OF and some pitching. We can't build the entire thing through the Farm system, BUT, we have some great pieces that will help this team reach the promise land..........I hope.

Olt has a lot to figure out, he isn't hopeless, but he clearly needs more time in the minors. We are a little thin in the OF, but I believe when the time is right, when Theo is ready to make the push, he will get an impact player in the OF and some pitching. We can't build the entire thing through the Farm system, BUT, we have some great pieces that will help this team reach the promise land..........I hope.

I agree they'll make one big signing sometime soon, really not much for free agents next year OF wise. Nelson Cruz only one, not a huge fan of his though. I see them going more for Lester or Scherzer myself this year. Otherwise letting the kids play a season and then going hard after FA in 2016. Cespedes & Heyward possible 2016 Free Agents.

You probably won't be seeing any huge signings for another year or so. The plan has been to build up the farm system until the renovations and new tv deal are done. Then with a bigger budget to work with, go and get some vetran players. I'd guess the 2016 free agency is when you will see them go after some bigger fish. Like bogeyman mentioned, OF and pitching are what they are likely to go after.

You probably won't be seeing any huge signings for another year or so. The plan has been to build up the farm system until the renovations and new tv deal are done. Then with a bigger budget to work with, go and get some vetran players. I'd guess the 2016 free agency is when you will see them go after some bigger fish. Like bogeyman mentioned, OF and pitching are what they are likely to go after.

Can we add a solid catcher to that list also :D

Latest posts