Chicago Cubs 2014 Season Thread (super-official)

The Cards must have been really happy with Choate giving up 6 runs in the 9th haha prolong their misery 2/3 of an inning. Great team win.

It all depends on the cost. He may have miles left, but who knows if he will be the pitcher he is now in a few years let alone at the end of this year. Last year he started great and fell apart in the 2nd half. I want to keep Shark because healthy TOR arms are tough to find, but he's not worth breaking the bank for, especially with the prospect return he could have if he keeps pitching this way through July.

Remember, Samardzija has only been a starter for three years so he has a lot less wear and tear on his arm than a lot of 29 year old pitchers. I agree about breaking the bank, but if they can sign him, great. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening and the better he pitches, the more likely he will be gone. It's all part of the (fill in the blank here) year building project the masterminds have developed.

Remember, Samardzija has only been a starter for three years so he has a lot less wear and tear on his arm than a lot of 29 year old pitchers. I agree about breaking the bank, but if they can sign him, great. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening and the better he pitches, the more likely he will be gone. It's all part of the (fill in the blank here) year building project the masterminds have developed.
I realize he's got a "young" arm, but so did Fernandez of the Marlins. Elbows blowout at all stages of careers and though I think he's worth a 5/75 year contract, at the end of the contract he will be 34. Not very many pitchers that are power pitchers can do it that effectively that long, and Shark is still such an unknown even after 3 years as a starter.

I think Shark is dead set on testing free agency and if that is the case then the Cubs need to get everything they can out of him in a trade. Hopefully they will get MLB ready players and not a load of prospects. The farm system looks good, it is time to improve the team at the major league level now. He should get a haul better than Garza.

I think Shark is dead set on testing free agency and if that is the case then the Cubs need to get everything they can out of him in a trade. Hopefully they will get MLB ready players and not a load of prospects. The farm system looks good, it is time to improve the team at the major league level now. He should get a haul better than Garza.

I am not 100% sure on this. My believe is he would like a long term deal with the Cubs. He seems to have strong ties to the area and is pretty comitted to the turn around.

As for guys talking about his arm. I think his pitching is not as tramatic on the arm. Some of these guys are coming in throwing sliders are randy johnson levels. Randy could do it because he is randy and huge. The motion required for these other guys to have the same pictch seems to burn them out quicker.

Can't base any of that on fact. Just opinion about slider heavy young pitchers.

Smarmy wants in excess of 100 million...for 5 years. Cubs are not biting, yet. I think they should do it, tho, as pitching is always going to be expensive, no matter when they pursue it. Smarmy sees this as his one huge contract, at his age, and will seek to maximize his total guarantee.

I think Samardzija's desire to win, along with the money, are the motivating factors for him to wait it out and the Cubs cannot take the chance of him walking and they end up with nothing more than a compensation pick. But the fact that he would like to remain in Chicago is a reason why I think there is a chance he would resign with the Cubs even if he was traded. I remember a no trade clause being an issue when the Cubs tried to extend him.

So Samardzija throw 7 scoreless today, lowers his ERA, and still can't win. At what point does he say **** you Cubs

So Samardzija throw 7 scoreless today, lowers his ERA, and still can't win. At what point does he say **** you Cubs

I would think today is the breaking point. Rondon and Veras were absolutely awful. Just totally $$$$$$. Samardzija really can't keep his cool after that lousy relief job. Unbelievable!

I would think today is the breaking point. Rondon and Veras were absolutely awful. Just totally $$$$$$. Samardzija really can't keep his cool after that lousy relief job. Unbelievable!

I'd be so PO'ed right now. Jeff. S should've had his first win yesterday, but the bullpen coughed it up.

0-4 with a 1.46. Yeah.

I want to see if he'll become the first ever pitcher to win a cy young award without winning a game

The Jeff stat just proves this team is closer than Ricketts wants to admit. They are a bat and maybe a closer away from being pretty respectable in the NL. If they would have spent some money this off season people would be talking about how the Cubs are on the rise. As long as Ricketts keeps the Cubs bad he can blame Wriggley and the Rooftops for the bad play yadda yadda to try and get his agenda for scoreboards, hotels, parking garages, restarants, etc.

Ricketts and theo are banking off all this bologna and the only ones being put out here are the fans.

Go Cubs Go rant over. :)

ESPN stats and info tweeted out that JS is the only pitcher in MLB history with an ERA < 1.50 and 0 wins in his first 10 starts in a season

The Jeff stat just proves this team is closer than Ricketts wants to admit. They are a bat and maybe a closer away from being pretty respectable in the NL. If they would have spent some money this off season people would be talking about how the Cubs are on the rise. As long as Ricketts keeps the Cubs bad he can blame Wriggley and the Rooftops for the bad play yadda yadda to try and get his agenda for scoreboards, hotels, parking garages, restarants, etc.

Ricketts and theo are banking off all this bologna and the only ones being put out here are the fans.

Go Cubs Go rant over. :)

Ok - Rant not over........

Just saw this posted today and it proves that Ricketts needs the Cubs to be bad in order to make is development case. Without the Cubs being the worst team in baseball he can't successfully make the we can't compete arguement. Don't like this guy one bit!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/chc...md=20140521&content_id=76326626&vkey=news_chc

Just saw this posted today and it proves that Ricketts needs the Cubs to be bad in order to make is development case. Without the Cubs being the worst team in baseball he can't successfully make the we can't compete arguement. Don't like this guy one bit!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/chc...md=20140521&content_id=76326626&vkey=news_chc

So I take it you're against the renovation.

The Cubs' facilities are garbage, and it's well known that it hurts them in the free-agent market. This has gotta get done. It's long past due. More revenue, better facilities = better chance to win.

If the renovations happen and the Cubs payroll remains low, and they still stink, then I'll start singing a different tune. Until then, I'm giving the guy a chance. Besides, I guess it's hard to have a huge payroll when you're trying for a $500M renovation that you are paying for privately.

Last edited:

So I take it you're against the renovation.

The Cubs' facilities are garbage, and it's well known that it hurts them in the free-agent market. This has gotta get done. It's long past due. More revenue, better facilities = better chance to win.

If the renovations happen and the Cubs payroll remains low, and they still stink, then I'll start singing a different tune. Until then, I'm giving the guy a chance.

I am torn as I can see both sides. I know the renovations need to get done. The place is so historic, but at the same time it's a dump.

On one hand, I understand the strategy of building up the franchise from the base, but on the other hand, is he just trying to put as many butts in the seats as possible while profiting what he can? Or is really interested in winning a championship? I guess only time will tell. It's been pretty frickin' miserable lately though. :(

Latest posts