Chauvin Verdict

I haven't seen that yet. I've also been a victim of a cop on a power trip. It would be extremely naive to say therr are no cops out there that are racist, but cops being assholes because a suspect is black is probably a tiny percentage compared to cops being assholes because they are assholes.

The cops are often scared as well. If you watch the Police Activity channel on YouTube there are a lot of situations where the cop will just be talking to someone and the person will just pull a gun or take a swing at the cop completely out of the blue. It goes from 0 to 100 instantly. There are a lot of people on drugs (including prescription crap) or with serious mental health issues who will just flip out. It transcends race. It transcends age. It transcends gender. The media fanning the flames with nonstop rage stories every time there is an officer involved death doesn't help either because it conditions people to think they will be murdered by the cops, which can be a self-fulfilling prophecy once they resist, refuse to comply or attempt to escape.

I've had the cops point a gun at me. It is disconcerting. Very disconcerting. I can see how some people lose their shit when it happens. But I understand why cops do it. If the cops walk up to a car at night they are terrified.

So you're saying you believe she decided she wanted to kill him and used the "taser taser" and the act of surprise after as a cover up? As far as your last sentence goes, I think anyone who says that has a hard time comprehending the huge number our population is. When you factor that in, it doesn't happen "too often to be random". It does happen too often to not be addressed tho.

Maybe she did. Maybe she was influenced by a number of things, possibly even her own ptsd. Who knows. 55% of Republicans think the decision of the Floyd trial jury was wrong. I'm in the 45%. I would guess the 55% would be split between outright racism, lesser racism, not caring as he was a criminal and so on. Police wouldn't be less racist than the general public. It's moe than just a few.

About the taser cop, watch this (get through the commercials) and think something wasn't up with the taser cop. Not saying premeditated murder, but something was beyond normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe she did. Maybe she was influenced by a number of things, possibly even her own ptsd. Who knows. 55% of Republicans think the decision of the Floyd trial jury was wrong. I'm in the 45%. I would guess the 55% would be split between outright racism, lesser racism, not caring as he was a criminal and so on. Police wouldn't be less racist than the general public. It's moe than just a few.

About the taser cop, watch this (get through the commercials) and think something wasn't up with the taser cop. Not saying premeditated murder, but something was beyond normal.
Well there are only two options. One is a legit accident and the other was straight up murder disguised as an accident. If she actually had the wherewithal to act like that while killing someone, she needs to have her life looked into because she's probably a serial killer. Since I've literally heard nothing about this one in the last couple days, I'm pretty sure the concensus is it was just an accident. BLM isn't even talking about it. As far as I've seen anyway.

One thing I know from conversations with you is you think there is a lot more racism out there then I do. Get on social media and you would think everyone was racist. But just look around and it's not happening. At least not around me.

Also I couldn't even get to an actual video in that link that showed cops other than a bunch standing around in a subway. Was that the wrong one? The taser lady was in a car.

Who knows. 55% of Republicans think the decision of the Floyd trial jury was wrong.
False.

55% of Republicans thought it was the correct verdict (according the the survey you're quoting). You're talking about the snap survey done by Ipsos. 23% thought it was the wrong verdict. That's a 32% error in what you're saying which (because most people don't verify other poster's statements) derails the conversation and steers it in another direction. I'm no fan of either party, but falsely making one party look way "worse" to push a narrative is worse than picking a side. It does nothing to help the conversation. If you're going to toss stats and poll numbers out there, quote them in their entirety and get the numbers right.

If I said to a democrat that only 39% of Democrats thought the verdict was correct (same error you quoted) how would that change the narrative? It would be laughable. Honest mistake or not, it doesn't matter. It's still bad info that could easily be checked with a source.

When you get fired up on social topics you have a long history of dropping statistics and studies and all sorts of other "fact" with no citations to prove your points. The reasons for that have been argued ad nauseum and there's no need to rehash it. If you're going to start doing that crap again either cite where you got it or leave it out. If you don't have a source, you need to at least qualify your statements like, "I thought I read somewhere that 55% of Republicans thought the verdict was incorrect..."

If you watch the Police Activity channel on YouTube there are a lot of situations where the cop will just be talking to someone and the person will just pull a gun or take a swing at the cop completely out of the blue. It goes from 0 to 100 instantly.
This channel should be a required subscription and protected by name in the Constitution.

I've seen every video and in my opinion there is not a more unbiased news source on the planet when it comes to police reporting. No commentary, no edits (done by the channel itself), and there are bad cop, neutral cop, and good cop situations all displayed with the same emphasis.

That channel is a national treasure of documentation.

This channel should be a required subscription and protected by name in the Constitution.

I've seen every video and in my opinion there is not a more unbiased news source on the planet when it comes to police reporting. No commentary, no edits (done by the channel itself), and there are bad cop, neutral cop, and good cop situations all displayed with the same emphasis.

That channel is a national treasure of documentation.

Did you see that video from New Mexico last week? Holy balls. Police Activity had the scrubbed one but someone had the original and posted it on Reddit. Guh. Cop pulled over a meth dealer on the interstate. Cop is totally relaxed and guy gets out with AR and domes the cop with it then shoots him several times on the ground and again point blank in the back of the head. Absolutely horrible. They said on Reddit that border patrol or the DEA or some fed agency wanted the local cop to pull him over so the feds would have cover for the stop. Turns out the feds didn't tell the cop that the suspect was some deranged meth dealer who was heavily armed. Oops.

Did you see that video from New Mexico last week? Holy balls. Police Activity had the scrubbed one but someone had the original and posted it on Reddit. Guh. Cop pulled over a meth dealer on the interstate. Cop is totally relaxed and guy gets out with AR and domes the cop with it then shoots him several times on the ground and again point blank in the back of the head. Absolutely horrible. They said on Reddit that border patrol or the DEA or some fed agency wanted the local cop to pull him over so the feds would have cover for the stop. Turns out the feds didn't tell the cop that the suspect was some deranged meth dealer who was heavily armed. Oops.
I did see the video on PA, not the scrubbed version thank god. Don’t want to. The only lucky thing about that was the cop didn’t suffer and he was only scared for about 1.5 seconds before he died. You could tell the fed who showed up to give him medical help knew he was dead. I’ve seen what an AR will do to an animal and I’m fairly sure there wasn’t much left of the police officer.

Well there are only two options. One is a legit accident and the other was straight up murder disguised as an accident. If she actually had the wherewithal to act like that while killing someone, she needs to have her life looked into because she's probably a serial killer. Since I've literally heard nothing about this one in the last couple days, I'm pretty sure the concensus is it was just an accident. BLM isn't even talking about it. As far as I've seen anyway.

One thing I know from conversations with you is you think there is a lot more racism out there then I do. Get on social media and you would think everyone was racist. But just look around and it's not happening. At least not around me.

You summed things up pretty well. We see differently what constitutes racism. What I'm mainly suggesting is that something inside her (maybe ptsd) clouded decision her decision making. Cops need to be more carefully vetted on an ongoing basis. As mentioned, pilots are grounded. Cops generally are not. The video of the guy in DC clearly shows a taser being used (in a bad way), but there is no mistaking what a taser looks and feels like. I"m not suggesting she's a serial killer. I'm suggesting that her past traumas and ptsd needs to be closely looked at with all cops. PTSD clouds the thinking process.

I'm guessing that if you and I were at Selma, I would have been a Republican marching and you would have sided with the State.

False.

55% of Republicans thought it was the correct verdict (according the the survey you're quoting). You're talking about the snap survey done by Ipsos. 23% thought it was the wrong verdict. That's a 32% error in what you're saying which (because most people don't verify other poster's statements) derails the conversation and steers it in another direction. I'm no fan of either party, but falsely making one party look way "worse" to push a narrative is worse than picking a side. It does nothing to help the conversation. If you're going to toss stats and poll numbers out there, quote them in their entirety and get the numbers right.

If I said to a democrat that only 39% of Democrats thought the verdict was correct (same error you quoted) how would that change the narrative? It would be laughable. Honest mistake or not, it doesn't matter. It's still bad info that could easily be checked with a source.

When you get fired up on social topics you have a long history of dropping statistics and studies and all sorts of other "fact" with no citations to prove your points. The reasons for that have been argued ad nauseum and there's no need to rehash it. If you're going to start doing that crap again either cite where you got it or leave it out. If you don't have a source, you need to at least qualify your statements like, "I thought I read somewhere that 55% of Republicans thought the verdict was incorrect..."

Got me. I mispoke.

I hate this thread. Just me, not an overall judgement.

That said, go to Hawk Central and read the remarks by Kelvin Bell. This is the kind of guy we need to listen to, admire, and take to heart. Based on what he said, I am super happy to have Coach Bell on our football staff.

You summed things up pretty well. We see differently what constitutes racism. What I'm mainly suggesting is that something inside her (maybe ptsd) clouded decision her decision making. Cops need to be more carefully vetted on an ongoing basis. As mentioned, pilots are grounded. Cops generally are not. The video of the guy in DC clearly shows a taser being used (in a bad way), but there is no mistaking what a taser looks and feels like. I"m not suggesting she's a serial killer. I'm suggesting that her past traumas and ptsd needs to be closely looked at with all cops. PTSD clouds the thinking process.

I'm guessing that if you and I were at Selma, I would have been a Republican marching and you would have sided with the State.
When you say "clouded her judgement" do you mean her judgment to shoot him with a guy or her judgment to accidentally pull the wrong one out?

I know it's easy to say you can tell the difference when it's in your hand, but I've gone as far as to look for my phone when it was in my hand, so I get how it could happen.

I hate this thread. Just me, not an overall judgement.
It’s not an easy topic, but....

One thing I hope you’ve noticed is that having a dedicated forum for this sort of thing has been a benefit in a couple ways. First, you can choose what content you do or don’t want to read. If something here bothers someone, they can leave and be fairly confident that I’m going to nuke anything like that off the sports board and ban repeat offenders.

More importantly...

What I’m seeing on this sub forum is lively discussion, not the shit show troll fests that went on before we separated this stuff from the main board. Like I predicted, 90% of the folks posting social/racial/etc posts on the main board were doing it to piss other people off and bait people into dumb arguments, and now we’ve taken their toy away. They don’t post the trolling bullshit because they know they’re gonna get bounced, and they don’t come here for rational (if heated) debate because they’re not in it for that anyway.

To be honest, sometimes I think you pool everything under racism and completely forgot at prejudice. No fault of your own as I think this is a systemic issue in our nation and world now.

There now doesn't seem to be a classification of prejudice and now is either "Not racist" or "Racist". Either on or off. I think there is more prejudice in our nation today then true systemic racism. People have moved the needle on what the true definition of racism is. It's suppressing a certain group because of certain reasons. I'm talking a owner/boss not hiring an individual just based on the color of their skin. Not serving a customer based on same or religion, etc.. Not letting a student into a college based on ........... That crap is not really systemic anymore and is racism.

People need to understand the definition of racism vs prejudice. Rosa Parks would roll her eyes at what some people think is racism in 2021. She'd be like "You have no idea!".

The taser lady thing was an accident. It was an unbelievably crazy brain fart and I don't care what anyone says, every living adult has had at least one serious one in their lives.

Two or three years ago I was driving in Sioux City in the middle of the day, no texting or any other weird distractions. I was the first one at a red light at an intersection with Lewis Blvd which was ridiculously busy. I drove up to the intersection, stopped like I would at a stop sign and proceeded to drive right through like a total idiot. People started honking like crazy and when I looked in my rearview I could see the light was still red and a semi going through doing probably 45 or 50. Tons of other cars too. I could've killed someone or myself, left my kid fatherless...I have no explanation for it, it just happened.

To be clear, this lady fucking killed a kid and she needs to go to prison for some amount of time that a judge decides. You cannot excuse doing that. As a police officer you are given a heavy burden that not only includes the benefit of the doubt in most cases, but also a much higher standard of judgement and action. You know that signing up for the job. If you fail that and kill someone, there's no do-overs.

Where that whole fiasco went wrong was everything leading up to it before weapons even came out. My cousin is a cop in Mesa and they have a lot of weird situations, non-standard traffic stops etc. with a lot of drug use and drug traffic out of Mexico. We talked on the phone the other day and he basically said that whole squad of officers did everything wrong. He said if they ask someone to get out of the car and the person does, the absolute first thing they do without question is shut the car door. If the guy bolts, you at least have a few seconds bought to try and restrain him. After that they move the guy away from the car and if there's an officer available he/she stands in front of the suspect's car door. Anything to keep him from getting back in and causing a shooting or a chase.

According to my cousin, it's a nightmare to get someone out of a car when they don't wanna go. They have the steering wheel, shifter, seats, seatbelts, and 100 other things to grab onto, and all they need to to is straighten out their legs and push against the seat to lock themselves in the seat. There's also a whole lot of places to grab a gun from, or a knife, or a hammer, anything. I'm obviously not a cop, but it seems to me that letting this kid have the chance to make a dumb decision like getting back in the car was what allowed this shit show to happen.

Most bad incidents are like that though. A series of stupid little mistakes that add up into a big one. Would that lady have shot the kid if all of those officers had had the training and experience to know enough to keep him from making a break for it? Probably not.

The worst groups that actually receive little attention are the private railroad police. That I only know due to my work with farmers and farm owners.
If I remember correctly, a railroad cop in Mason City shot someone for just walking along the railway. This happened a year ago or so.

The taser lady thing was an accident. It was an unbelievably crazy brain fart and I don't care what anyone says, every living adult has had at least one serious one in their lives.

Two or three years ago I was driving in Sioux City in the middle of the day, no texting or any other weird distractions. I was the first one at a red light at an intersection with Lewis Blvd which was ridiculously busy. I drove up to the intersection, stopped like I would at a stop sign and proceeded to drive right through like a total idiot. People started honking like crazy and when I looked in my rearview I could see the light was still red and a semi going through doing probably 45 or 50. Tons of other cars too. I could've killed someone or myself, left my kid fatherless...I have no explanation for it, it just happened.

To be clear, this lady fucking killed a kid and she needs to go to prison for some amount of time that a judge decides. You cannot excuse doing that. As a police officer you are given a heavy burden that not only includes the benefit of the doubt in most cases, but also a much higher standard of judgement and action. You know that signing up for the job. If you fail that and kill someone, there's no do-overs.

Where that whole fiasco went wrong was everything leading up to it before weapons even came out. My cousin is a cop in Mesa and they have a lot of weird situations, non-standard traffic stops etc. with a lot of drug use and drug traffic out of Mexico. We talked on the phone the other day and he basically said that whole squad of officers did everything wrong. He said if they ask someone to get out of the car and the person does, the absolute first thing they do without question is shut the car door. If the guy bolts, you at least have a few seconds bought to try and restrain him. After that they move the guy away from the car and if there's an officer available he/she stands in front of the suspect's car door. Anything to keep him from getting back in and causing a shooting or a chase.

According to my cousin, it's a nightmare to get someone out of a car when they don't wanna go. They have the steering wheel, shifter, seats, seatbelts, and 100 other things to grab onto, and all they need to to is straighten out their legs and push against the seat to lock themselves in the seat. There's also a whole lot of places to grab a gun from, or a knife, or a hammer, anything. I'm obviously not a cop, but it seems to me that letting this kid have the chance to make a dumb decision like getting back in the car was what allowed this shit show to happen.

Most bad incidents are like that though. A series of stupid little mistakes that add up into a big one. Would that lady have shot the kid if all of those officers had had the training and experience to know enough to keep him from making a break for it? Probably not.
I like everything you said in this. I will add tho that a punishment for a cop who makes a mistake should be less severe when they happen while someone is resisting. You have to give some sort of leway there. I just hate the idea of a cop who has a family having their life completely ruined over a mistake that would have never been made if the person didn't resist.

I just hate the idea of a cop who has a family having their life completely ruined over a mistake that would have never been made if the person didn't resist.
I understand what you mean but in 2021 it’s too late. That lady’s life was over the minute she grabbed her gun.

In the days of Twitter, Facebook, camera phones and body cams she could go completely Scott free and she’d never get a job again or be able to set foot in a public place. Her adult kids will have to dissociate from her as well. Even if she were to get a job at Subway making sandwiches it’d last about a day and a half before someone takes her picture and posts, “Check this out, apparently Subway hires murderers...” and then it’ll go viral on Twitter, make the news, and Subway would put out a statement how she’s being terminated so they don’t lose half their business and their CEOs don’t end up like Papa Murphy.

That chick’s life is over.

If I remember correctly, a railroad cop in Mason City shot someone for just walking along the railway. This happened a year ago or so.

I had no idea until I had to deal with railroads through farms. One RR was harassing me as they new I was crossing to get to the other side of a field, but never caught me. I found an area where ties were collapsing into a culvert and went out of my way to call Internation HQ and they were quite thankful and left me alone after that

Latest posts