Carton Update

I don't know about that. Does Cook have a better chance being at Iowa and being a 1st team all conference player, or at Kansas being a 7th or 8th man?

DiVenzco(sp?) was Villanova’s sixth man and came off the bench. Duke had 4 guys drafted and they didn’t play a bit of defense this year.

I just don't know how good the blue blood schools are at developing talent. I know they are great at recruiting it. But just not sure about developing it.

Too lazy to do the homework on this, but on average how many one and done are there in any given year? 8 or 9 would be my guess. That averages out to about 1 per team. The blue bloods have to do some developing, even Calapari. Coach K who had no choice, but to join the one and done crowd still has a kid or 2 he needs to develop.

Too lazy to do the homework on this, but on average how many one and done are there in any given year? 8 or 9 would be my guess. That averages out to about 1 per team. The blue bloods have to do some developing, even Calapari. Coach K who had no choice, but to join the one and done crowd still has a kid or 2 he needs to develop.

I would say "developing" White, Marble, and Uthoff into borderline NBA guys is more of a feat than most of the examples you could give me of a Duke or Kentucky development. Even the non one and dones they get are guys who look like potential NBA guys in high school.

The majority of one-and-dones would have gone straight from HS if the rules allowed it. The NBA is all about talent, not so much about development.

That said, I do think it's a little short-sighted to propose that the blue-blood coaches can't develop. Starting with a bare cupboard every year and molding a bunch of talented HS freshmen into an effective team takes coaching acumen.

Nevertheless, at the end of the day, personally, I'd rather have a program that recruits at just short of that one-and-done level and competes at a high level year in and year out, as opposed to being a farm system for the NBA.

I would say "developing" White, Marble, and Uthoff into borderline NBA guys is more of a feat than most of the examples you could give me of a Duke or Kentucky development. Even the non one and dones they get are guys who look like potential NBA guys in high school.

I am not on the "Fran can't develop talent" bandwagon. I am just pointing out that guys like Calpari are doing more than just rolling out a basketball and telling kids just go play.

The majority of one-and-dones would have gone straight from HS if the rules allowed it. The NBA is all about talent, not so much about development.

That said, I do think it's a little short-sighted to propose that the blue-blood coaches can't develop. Starting with a bare cupboard every year and molding a bunch of talented HS freshmen into an effective team takes coaching acumen.

Nevertheless, at the end of the day, personally, I'd rather have a program that recruits at just short of that one-and-done level and competes at a high level year in and year out, as opposed to being a farm system for the NBA.

Your 3rd paragraph basically describes Villanova. Villanova had a one and done this year, but the run they had the last 4 years have been done with players you are describing. In a private moment, I think most coaches would love to have what Jay Wright has. Moving forward I wonder if Jay Wright will succumb to the pressure of going after the one and dones the way Coach K had to.

Your 3rd paragraph basically describes Villanova. Villanova had a one and done this year, but the run they had the last 4 years have been done with players you are describing. In a private moment, I think most coaches would love to have what Jay Wright has. Moving forward I wonder if Jay Wright will succumb to the pressure of going after the one and dones the way Coach K had to.
Yeah, I would agree. Villanova came to mind while I was typing it, as did Michigan, MSU, Maryland and Wichita State, just to name a few off the top of my head.

I am not on the "Fran can't develop talent" bandwagon. I am just pointing out that guys like Calpari are doing more than just rolling out a basketball and telling kids just go play.

I'm not saying they can't develop talent. I'm just saying that them getting 5 stars into the NBA isn't exactly good proof that they do.

I'm not saying they can't develop talent. I'm just saying that them getting 5 stars into the NBA isn't exactly good proof that they do.
There's very little "developing" that you can do over a 9 month period of time. If it was a one on one basis, that would be different.

There's very little "developing" that you can do over a 9 month period of time. If it was a one on one basis, that would be different.

Michael Porter was the #1 high schooler the year before last, he went to Missouri was injured, and then was the #14 pick in this years draft. I doubt coaching had little to do with it. Some guys are just gifted in the game of basketball. There are a lot of guys that might have part of the package, but only a few have the full package with some work. They all have to work at it, but most guys will never equal a truly gifted guy that does half of the work no matter how much he puts into the game. Life doesn't work that way.

Iowa needs tenacious defenders to compete at a higher level...especially given the type of talent, or lack thereof, that Iowa tends to draw in the new world of BB and recruiting.

Heart is needed...no one likes to play against a team of tenacious defenders who refuse to quit and keep in your face the entire game.

This is different than running up and down the court...doing Fran Willy Nilly Hoops

DiVenzco(sp?) was Villanova’s sixth man and came off the bench. Duke had 4 guys drafted and they didn’t play a bit of defense this year.
Duke switched to a zone defense and had one of the better points allowed per game after the change.

Duke switched to a zone defense and had one of the better points allowed per game after the change.

Yeah, I know they went primarily zone in February. It is just hard to understand why a team with 3 1st rounders and 1 second rounder could not figure out how to man up at least part of the time.

If he is an NBA talent type of guy...Iowa isn't his best choice...given the current scenario.
if he is nba type talent it doesn’t matter where he goes to school. NBA scouts just recently acquired the World Wide Web—and it’s on their computers, too.

Michael Porter was the #1 high schooler the year before last, he went to Missouri was injured, and then was the #14 pick in this years draft. I doubt coaching had little to do with it. Some guys are just gifted in the game of basketball. There are a lot of guys that might have part of the package, but only a few have the full package with some work. They all have to work at it, but most guys will never equal a truly gifted guy that does half of the work no matter how much he puts into the game. Life doesn't work that way.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

Yeah, I know they went primarily zone in February. It is just hard to understand why a team with 3 1st rounders and 1 second rounder could not figure out how to man up at least part of the time.
No doubt. Zero chance I'm coaching zone defense with Duke's (or any) roster. Maybe that was the only way to keep Grayson Allen from tripping opposing players.