Carton Ready to Cut It Down to Top 3

Not surprised. We can chalk it up to "Coach's son playing PG" or simply say that Fran can't recruit. Better lock him up for another 10 years, Gutless. Quickly!

Unless something great happens in the next two years (a Sweet 16), the ending of Fran's tenure will not be smooth.

This one might not be on Fran totally. DJ's list of offers is rather impressive. Instate loyalty has been lacking for a while.....

Landing JoeW is a big one. Now we have to keep Xavier instate at Iowa.....

Would have been very nice to have Carton, but we will be OK, not the best, but OK without him. Connor will surprise people with the manner he runs the team. Savvy Cat.....

:cool:

All we can hope for now is for him to not win a single game against Iowa.

Yeah, actually, if I remember correctly, none of the highly rated recruits that have been stolen by the elites have won the National Championship. Kansas and the Tarheels came close. I loved Villanova nailing the winning shot with the clock running out.....

Rafe, Heinrich, Harrison, Marcus, none of them finished on top.....

F them, DJ also

This one might not be on Fran totally. DJ's list of offers is rather impressive. Instate loyalty has been lacking for a while.....

Would have been very nice to have Carton, but we will be OK, not the best, but OK without him. Connor will surprise people with the manner he runs the team. Savvy Cat.....

I hope you're right about Connor, but Wieskamp would have been a Hawk even if Lickliter was the coach.

I hope you're right about Connor, but Wieskamp would have been a Hawk even if Lickliter was the coach.

What I saw last season with Connor playing much less than 100% was impressive. The team seemed under control. The Colorado game was a good one for the Hawks and he was somewhat instrumental in that win. The thing I like about him is his court savvy and the ability to pass the ball immediately. Ball movement has was lacking last season. Jordan was covered so completely, almost the entire game, that he couldn't get open to pass efficiently. That should end with Connor at the helm.....

I can see Connor eventually starting with Jordan at the 2, Joe at the 3, Tyler at the 4 and Luka manning the 5.....

That will give us 4 scoring threats inside and out with an effiicient passer at the helm.....

Theoretically, that is.....

When MAC schools have better point guards than Iowa......yes, it is on Fran.

Yeah, actually, if I remember correctly, none of the highly rated recruits that have been stolen by the elites have won the National Championship. Kansas and the Tarheels came close. I loved Villanova nailing the winning shot with the clock running out.....

Rafe, Heinrich, Harrison, Marcus, none of them finished on top.....

F them, DJ also

I may be totally wrong and this name is the ultimate of obscurities, but I believe Cedar Rapids Prairie prep Justin Wessel was on Arizona's 1997 National Championship Team.

I may be totally wrong and this name is the ultimate of obscurities, but I believe Cedar Rapids Prairie prep Justin Wessel was on Arizona's 1997 National Championship Team.

I was afraid to mention Oglesby who was ranked and a valuable recruit for Fran, all things considered. This was just after the Lick disaster. Nobody, NOBODY wanted to play for the Hawks then.....

Didn't have the courage to mention Oglesby and probably won't.....

I was afraid to mention Oglesby who was ranked and a valuable recruit for Fran, all things considered. This was just after the Lick disaster. Nobody, NOBODY wanted to play for the Hawks then.....

Didn't have the courage to mention Oglesby and probably won't.....

Least of all, Marcus Paige, Chasson Randle, Kaylon Williams, Wes Washpun....

All would have been solid choices to run Iowa's offense.

All steered well clear of the Hawkeyes.

Unless something great happens in the next two years (a Sweet 16), the ending of Fran's tenure will not be smooth.

Fran was quoted this week as saying Iowa has one of the best PG's in the country returning in Bohannon and one the best players in the nation returning in Cook. Never mind how inaccurate that is, Fran is saying it publicly which further demonstrates his ineptitude as a head coach and coming off of a 4-14 conference record.
In all seriousness, nobody should be upset with Carton. He made the best decision and Fran and the Iowa basketball program made it easy on him. Whatever brand of basketball Iowa is playing (the one where you don't play any defense or take care of the ball) is not going to prepare Carton for the NBA.

Fran was quoted this week as saying Iowa has one of the best PG's in the country returning in Bohannon and one the best players in the nation returning in Cook. Never mind how inaccurate that is, Fran is saying it publicly which further demonstrates his ineptitude as a head coach and coming off of a 4-14 conference record.
In all seriousness, nobody should be upset with Carton. He made the best decision and Fran and the Iowa basketball program made it easy on him. Whatever brand of basketball Iowa is playing (the one where you don't play any defense or take care of the ball) is not going to prepare Carton for the NBA.
What games was Fran watching last year? Jordan is a good shooter and decent system passer but makes questionable decisions in the open floor and couldn't stay in front of a fire hydrant.

Cook needs to improve shooting and foul shooting and frequently loses his man inside, finding him just in time to foul him. He and Jordan, along with Moss and Dailey, were known to quit on plays last year.

It's now four months removed from the end of last year and I'm more upset now than I was then about how they flat out quit in some games. I've seen bad Iowa teams in the Raveling, Davis, Lick, and early Fran years. Those teams generally at least fought, competed, and gave effort. That effort wasn't worth five wins last year. They were damn lucky to get to 4-14. As a forty year fan of Iowa Basketball I'm ashamed of last year's team. And others should be, too.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, nobody should be upset with Carton. .

Certainly not. Young man has to make the best choice for himself. (if you've heard his interviews, he sounds like a pretty focused, good kid) Would have been nice to have him play at IOWA, but can't blame him for shooting higher.

Latest posts