Canzeri Practicing

In pads, no red Jersey, I'd say he's practicing. Even if he's just running routes. Blew out the knee in a non contract drill. Probably a good sign.
blowing out a knee is blowing out a knee, contact or not. i'll assume given he had surgery that it was a grade 3 tear. what i don't know if other structures were involved.

Sorry, I should have quoted the post I was responding to. the post asked if he was really practicing. my point was that he hurt his knee in a non contact drill possibly similar to this 1, and even if he was just running routes that was still practicing which is a good sign.

Must have eaten a bunch of these

Powersauce.jpg

I'm the outlier here...I think we're in better shape this year than last. Coker was rubber stamped to get 95% of the carries...despite his plodding style.

His "total rushing" numbers are meaningless... when you take into account his yds/rush and our team rushing game. (poor compared to the rest of the conference) Those numbers tell the real story.

It may be a little rough at first, but in the long run we'll be a better team.

I think Iowa is in decent shape as well with the corp they have. They will be at least serviceable & they seem to have more backs that can catch the ball pretty well which will give the O a few more options. The key is that they stay pretty healthy throughout the season. That is the key & the only reason that I may think they could be in trouble, if a couple get hurt for extended period of times. That's the only thing.

If Canzeri can be back 100%, play him. Anything less than 100% of what he was, I just don't see playing him because if he's not as quick laterally and as fast as he was before the injury, I don't know what kind of help he will be.

He is a 10-12 carry per game back, but getting 5 or so touches in the passing game and a part of the return game. He's a chance of pace player.

Also something to consider- Canzeri is a high level athlete that is receiving top notch rehab services. It probably doesn't hurt that he had his surgery performed at a top 15 orthopedic hospital in the country. All of these factors likely make it more conceivable that he is ready to start practicing after only 5 month post-op, whereas most of the general public would need 12-18 months to get back to near 100%.

Obviously a completely different injury with wildly different recovery time, but even Terrell Owens made it back from a severely sprained ankle and broken leg in late December and played well in the Super Bowl when no one thought he would be ready. I think that illustrates what the combination of modern medicine and elite athleticism can do for recovery time (and that was back in 2004).

At first I thought Jordan C. meant Jordan Cotton when I saw the picture tweeted so I didn't look closely at the picture...this is good news, not that J. Cotton making a catch is good news, but getting another RB in the mix is great.

HeRe is a link to an article comparing performance of NFL running backs after an ACL:

Major leg injuries and running backs do not mix, and it takes time (typically two full years from the season when the major leg injury occurred) to recover to the pre-injury form that these backs enjoyed when punishing NFL defenses on a regular basis. Jamal Lewis, Deuce McAllister (first ACL tear in 2004), and Ronnie Brown are the only running backs to produce numbers extremely similar to their pre-injury form on their first year back from a major leg injury.

Running Back Two Year Major Injury Rule - FootballDocs Fantasy Football

If Canzeri can be back 100%, play him. Anything less than 100% of what he was, I just don't see playing him because if he's not as quick laterally and as fast as he was before the injury, I don't know what kind of help he will be.

He is a 10-12 carry per game back, but getting 5 or so touches in the passing game and a part of the return game. He's a chance of pace player.

I totally agree. And I find it hard to believe he will be back to that point anytime soon.

His effectiveness is certainly an issue, but I don't think another injury to the same ACL is probably a huge concern. In fact, his other ACL is probably much more likely to be injured than the one that has been repaired.

If he is cleared to play, his knee is ready.

i honestly dont understand why people have such a hard time with this.

after acl injuries the knee is structurally sound after 4-6 mos. that means it is strong enough to perform all physical tasks without an abnormal risk of reinjury.

however to regain full function in terms of power and explosiveness it typically takes 12-18 months. this typically takes even LONGER if you are a skill position player who relies heavily on speed, agiligy, and explosiveness.

canzeri will not be in a position to contribite on the game field for iowa until the 2013-14 season.

i honestly dont understand why people have such a hard time with this.

after acl injuries the knee is structurally sound after 4-6 mos. that means it is strong enough to perform all physical tasks without an abnormal risk of reinjury.

however to regain full function in terms of power and explosiveness it typically takes 12-18 months. this typically takes even LONGER if you are a skill position player who relies heavily on speed, agiligy, and explosiveness.

canzeri will not be in a position to contribite on the game field for iowa until the 2013-14 season.

Duff is correct for the most part, but contribute, or contribite;) probably isn't the word to use. Will he be what he was before the injury? No, of course not. It has as much to do with how much he trusts it as anything. Some people heal and recover much quicker, and elite athletes are more likely to do so. Then there are complete freaks, whose bodies seem to almost be superhuman. I really hope Jordan is the latter.

Does anyone know how fast he's been looking in practice. And for those in the know on orthopedic surgery, how long would it take for him to regain full speed?

Todd Blythe tore his ACL in the spring and came back in the fall as well, didn't he? Had a pretty good year, if I recall.

He tore it in January during offseason workouts, not during the spring practices.

Also, Blythe was not exactly stopping and cutting like a back such as Cranzeri will be doing.

I keep seeing people mention him in relation to kick returns, or other guys being good on kick returns - it's a dead position now. With the new kickoff rules 95% of kicks are going to be touchbacks.

Latest posts