Canzeri Practicing

In pads, no red Jersey, I'd say he's practicing. Even if he's just running routes. Blew out the knee in a non contract drill. Probably a good sign.

blowing out a knee is blowing out a knee, contact or not. i'll assume given he had surgery that it was a grade 3 tear. what i don't know if other structures were involved.

I just hope we have a healthy RB by the start of the Big schedule. With only 3-4 healthy RB's prior to start of the season that might be a stretch.

Been a very long time since I've seen the Hawks with this few RBs prior to the start of the regular season.

Just hope the Hawks can add a couple quality RB's to the 2013 recruiting class and that Hill is 100% healthy heading into next season.

Has anyone ever heard of a situation where a football player has come back THIS soon after ACL??? It's definitely not a bad thing to see!!!

Back in the 1990s Jerry Rice tore an ACL in week 1 of a season and returned in the season finale 4 months later.

A few things to remember:

Even for a professional athlete Jerry Rice's fitness was off the charts.

His work ethic was off the charts.

Was he close to 100%? Or did he do it just to prove it was possible to play in a game 4 months after a major injury?

He was significantly injured again during that season finale. Something with his kneecap I believe.

We're talking about perhaps the greatest individual football player ever.

I'm the outlier here...I think we're in better shape this year than last. Coker was rubber stamped to get 95% of the carries...despite his plodding style.

His "total rushing" numbers are meaningless... when you take into account his yds/rush and our team rushing game. (poor compared to the rest of the conference) Those numbers tell the real story.

It may be a little rough at first, but in the long run we'll be a better team.

I actually agree with you in theory but not necessarily because of what you said....MSU, Penn St, NW all were right with us, right below us or right above us in yards per rush....Heck tOSU was 4th in the league at 4.5 and we were 4.1...so color me very unconcerned with yards per rush..if it was sub 4.0 I'd be worried. But I have found lots of NFL Rbers that ran sub 5.0 in college..Not at all convinced it is a really meaningful stat..

College Football - Statistics by Team - Rivals.com

Last edited:
That's nuts I had reconstructive when I was 21... No way after 5 month would that have been possible and back then I was in great shape. Amazing if true I know advancements in technology and such...but damn.

here's my two cents from working in the PT field:

i have only seen one surgeon okay an athlete to return to sport in less than 6 months. and she re-tore her ACL. honestly i have met and heard several well respected surgeons say that the ligament isn't fully healed until 9 months to a year and that it is foolish to think otherwise. i am shocked that he got medical clearance to return to practice, let alone pads.

He's been practicing at full speed all of the fall. We are not in trouble at all and I would guess we will have the same production this year as we did last year.

Very intriguing if true....just when I thought things were a little more open, I see Lowery without any sort of brace or pad and hear is running like he always has, several others have been oddly absent from the picture parade only to suddenly appear mostly unscathed or so it seems….

It seems we only see the pictures they want us to see eh?!?! Not sure why I’m surprised by that…I shouldn’t have been…..doh?!?!

That's nuts I had reconstructive when I was 21... No way after 5 month would that have been possible and back then I was in great shape. Amazing if true I know advancements in technology and such...but damn.

it really has nothing to do with the person's shape. the ligament only heals so fast, you can't speed it up. if he plants that foot wrong and twists on it, he's gone.

Todd Blythe tore his ACL in the spring and came back in the fall as well, didn't he? Had a pretty good year, if I recall.

These things heal much faster than they used to, although this is still pretty remarkable. Who knows when he'll be fully cleared and in game shape, though. By the Big Ten season would be nice.

Here's a pics from Canzeri at practice today leaping for a catch. It's pretty crazy to see him practicing only 5 months into recovery.
scaled.php

this is exciting. hes got at least four inches of vertical leap here. we are talking two cedar rapids phone books.

ugh...why would he jump if he doesn't need to? He's out there...my guess they would be targeting B10 season if they plan to use him. I think the big thing is that there is really no hurry. I think Rogers is going to get some carries at tailback. I don't know why, but I think he's in the mix to carry the ball, especially early in the year. Spread everyone out with him alone next to JVB...a nice option to hand off instead of throw.

Good to see Mr. Canzeri out there.

Latest posts