Candidates for the OC position

couple things.

I imagine coming in as an OC Candidate and hearing Kirk and who knows even Brian..and them talking about 'how they've always done it' only to see the candidate walk out eyes wide open and shaking his head...WTF just happened here.

And by the way Is this stuff about Paul Chyst have any legs beyond the speculation of Scott Dochterman? I mean really, nobody has qualified this idea at all as far as his desire.

couple things.

I imagine coming in as an OC Candidate and hearing Kirk and who knows even Brian..and them talking about 'how they've always done it' only to see the candidate walk out eyes wide open and shaking his head...WTF just happened here.

And by the way Is this stuff about Paul Chyst have any legs beyond the speculation of Scott Dochterman? I mean really, nobody has qualified this idea at all as far as his desire.
His name has come up with a lot of fans and pundits, which makes sense. He's got the pedigree, Kirk likes experienced guys, and his offensive philosophy would line up well with what Kirk emphasizes. Plus, by all accounts, they have a lot of mutual respect.

I personally haven't seen anything regarding his expressed level of interest, but I would bet money he's on Kirk's short list (assuming he's considering going outside).

I do think we are starting to see the effects of this shit offense on our recruiting now, though. It would appear that we don’t have any guys who can be developed, at least to the degree that it’s been done in the past. We have them on defense, but offense…

Who was the last guy on offense who came in unheralded and under the radar and made a splash? In football terms, it’s been ages.

Even 6-8 years ago there were tons of them. OL guys like Ike Boettger, guys like LeShun Daniels, Matt Vanderberg, Keegan Render, George Kittle, Hockenson, Toren Young, etc. There’s literally no one on the offensive side of the ball coming to Iowa and breaking out. That’s not just coaching, it’s mostly because we aren’t getting those diamonds in the rough anymore because no one wants to come into this dumpster fire of an offense.

Phil is still getting them on defense, look at our LB crew and defensive line. For every DeJean and Nwankpa there’s a Yahya Black and Sebastian Castro getting built essentially from scratch because guys with that kind of unnoticed potential want to come play here and get trained by the master.

We are in a precarious f*cking spot right now and I’m afraid the odds are we fall off the side of the canyon to a spot like Nebraska that we get get back from. Someday Phil Parker isn’t going to be here to save the day.
Most of the former Iowa NFL TEs weren't highly rated, including LaPorta who is looking like a future All-Pro. Lachey wasn't worthy of an OSU offer even though he was a legacy and will probably play in the league if he fully recovers from his leg injury. OL is the big drop off for some reason.

Lure Ryan Grubb from Washington back to Iowa. Pay him 1.7 mil or whatever it takes. Give our two great asst coaches a raise. Hire a new offensive line coach. Ryan Grubb, Phil Parker and Levar Woods. Hard to beat that group. If I was Kirk and I had made so many millions over so many years I would give a mil or so out of my salary to gitrdun. You've made your money, now go out with a bang and leave Iowa Hawkeyes in a great position when you go.

OL is the big drop off for some reason.
WR just as bad and RB as well.

We went from Vanderberg, Easley, and ISM among others like Tyrone Tracy and Brandon Smith, to Nico Ragaini as our WR1 who peaked as a sophomore.

RB we had Wadley, Daniels, Butler, Toren Young, IKM, Goodson.

No one on our current team is in the same zip code as any of the players I mentioned. That's not a coincidence. Easley and Charlie Jones were transfers, but we ain't exactly getting guys like that anymore.

CJ Beathard was the last guy we had at QB who could get it done...Stanley put up numbers but folded in games against anyone with a record above .500.

We aren't getting guys in here who can get it done. Phil Parker and his crew are the ones winning these ball games in spite of the offense, not in conjunction with the offense.

Lure Ryan Grubb from Washington back to Iowa. Pay him 1.7 mil or whatever it takes. Give our two great asst coaches a raise. Hire a new offensive line coach. Ryan Grubb, Phil Parker and Levar Woods. Hard to beat that group. If I was Kirk and I had made so many millions over so many years I would give a mil or so out of my salary to gitrdun. You've made your money, now go out with a bang and leave Iowa Hawkeyes in a great position when you go.
That's a pipe dream unfortunately. Grubb is one of the hottest coaching prospects in the country and will be in line for a HC position at any number of solid P5 programs, and it will happen this season or next at the latest.

If Kirk suddenly steps aside, well, perhaps there's a shot (given his Iowa roots and our presence in the B1G), but he's not coming here for an OC position.

You get to go to final Jeopardy with that comment. No, he is not coming here to be OC, to clean up this hot mess, unless someone puts a big carrot out there, that carrot is King Ferentz gives a soft-landing plan of sticking around one max two years.

Matt Drinkall

I am starting hear his name being tossed around quite a bit as a potential candidate. I will let everyone else do their own background homework on him. If he can convince Kirk to run a variation of the Art Briles power spread...I'm in on that.

I realize Art Briles has been canceled(and deservedly so)...I am strictly speaking about using his offensive concepts.

Folks, just call me "Larry Downer", here, I want to know why in flying fu__k, Brian Ferentz is within 500 miles of prepping the offense for the bowl game, Christ, I thought Beth flushed that turd down the toilet in October. Working with the young kids, non-starters, really? If you have doggies, that's bad training.

WR just as bad and RB as well.

We went from Vanderberg, Easley, and ISM among others like Tyrone Tracy and Brandon Smith, to Nico Ragaini as our WR1 who peaked as a sophomore.

RB we had Wadley, Daniels, Butler, Toren Young, IKM, Goodson.

No one on our current team is in the same zip code as any of the players I mentioned. That's not a coincidence. Easley and Charlie Jones were transfers, but we ain't exactly getting guys like that anymore.

CJ Beathard was the last guy we had at QB who could get it done...Stanley put up numbers but folded in games against anyone with a record above .500.

We aren't getting guys in here who can get it done. Phil Parker and his crew are the ones winning these ball games in spite of the offense, not in conjunction with the offense.
Pretty good analysis. But, you are dead wrong about our stable of running backs. Yes, the former guys you mentioned were darn good. I think we are loaded with very good RB's. Probably should take O lines into the formula.

Folks, just call me "Larry Downer", here, I want to know why in flying fu__k, Brian Ferentz is within 500 miles of prepping the offense for the bowl game, Christ, I thought Beth flushed that turd down the toilet in October. Working with the young kids, non-starters, really? If you have doggies, that's bad training.
Larry: Do you have a use of language problem? Or, was it lack of potty training?

Matt Drinkall

I am starting hear his name being tossed around quite a bit as a potential candidate. I will let everyone else do their own background homework on him. If he can convince Kirk to run a variation of the Art Briles power spread...I'm in on that.

I realize Art Briles has been canceled(and deservedly so)...I am strictly speaking about using his offensive concepts.
Anyone named Drinkall gets my vote.

Unless BG gets involved, it won't matter who KF hires as the OC. The main reason is KF is still the head coach as of today. That's all.

Pretty good analysis. But, you are dead wrong about our stable of running backs. Yes, the former guys you mentioned were darn good. I think we are loaded with very good RB's. Probably should take O lines into the formula.
Agree. Our WR talent has dropped considerably. But I would argue that what we have now at RB is as good as it has been in the KF era. They have not had the luxury of any OL play that comes close to some of the lines that we've had in the past. When we did get a sliver of blocking this year, we had the RBs to take advantage of that.

Agree. Our WR talent has dropped considerably. But I would argue that what we have now at RB is as good as it has been in the KF era. They have not had the luxury of any OL play that comes close to some of the lines that we've had in the past. When we did get a sliver of blocking this year, we had the RBs to take advantage of that.
Generally agree, this past year was one of the deepest RB rooms I can remember. A couple of the guys don't have the greatest vision or jump-stop/lateral movement ability, but once they get through a crease in the open field all 3 could -- and did -- take it to the house. Which is different than Goodson, who during his first two years would regularly get caught from behind.

Latest posts