Candidates for the OC position

#1DieHardHawk

Probably deserves a dedicated thread.

Obviously, things move pretty fast so the list will morph over time.

Based upon some searching, I ran across quite a few coaches that appear to be ripe for promotions or a lateral move depending upon the situation. I broke it down to internal and external candidates.

Internal:
Phil Parker. Has already expressed that he's not interested in a HC position.
Jon Budmayr. He'll obviously get a look. I don't know any Hawkeye fans that seem excited about the idea, but Kirk can be loyal to a fault.
Lavar Woods. Highly respected and has the traits you look for. Budding star. Question is, is he ready and/or qualified for that jump right now?
George Barnett. Just kidding. Might be qualified as an OC at a division 1A middle school...

External:
Paul Chryst. Strong possibility here IMO. Kirk would be comfortable with him and they have similar philosophies.
Joe Moorhead, HC, Akron, and former PSU OC. Akron hasn't panned out well. Another guy whom Kirk would be comfortable with. Has prior success.
Tony Tokarz, QB coach, FSU.
Gino Guidugli, QB coach, Notre Dame.
Willy Korn, OC, Liberty.
Jim Zebrowski, QB coach, now co-OC, Kansas. Recently promoted when Andy Kotelnicki was snatched up by James Franklin.
Cortez Hankton, Passing game coordinator, LSU
Mack Leftwich, OC, Texas State.

The question will be whether Kirk is willing to get outside of his comfort zone and hire an up-and-comer, or look for an older coach with which he is very familiar. If I had to guess right now, I would say Budmayr if he stays internal, or Chryst if he looks outside. Personally, several of the young guns above would be great options IMO, but we'll miss the boat if he slow-walks the process. All of them appear to be hot candidates.

Folks, Iowa football needs to go into Colonoscopy prep. Take your prep and clean it all out, in my opinion that goes for the HC to, other than that you are going to be here next year same date/time wondering why the offense still sucks, just saying.

If we were betting, my money would be on Budmayr.

Where would you rank O'Keefe's chances? I want to note just how much worse our offense has gotten each time O'Keefe has left the staff. My only concern with bringing him back is that we would likely fall to last in every offensive category when he leaves again.

Let's update the program to something that recruits want to be a part of... KENDALL BRILLES..... Formerly OC at Baylor (leave his Dad out of this conversation) and currently OC at TCU.... Making 1.5 million.... Pay Phil first.... then double Brille's pay.... Up tempo offense, and knows his way around Texas and the South to recruit... Hawks need a shot of Positive vibes into their offense.... Change this terrible taste in our mouths.... Go Hawks.... Progressive change needed...

Where would you rank O'Keefe's chances? I want to note just how much worse our offense has gotten each time O'Keefe has left the staff. My only concern with bringing him back is that we would likely fall to last in every offensive category when he leaves again.

I get what you are doing, but I will play along anyway. Bringing back a 105 year-old KOK is like the ultimate metaphorical finger to everyone. If he would bring back KOK, he might as well put James on the staff. I don't think Kirk is that petty, so this will never happen.

Last edited:
Paul Chryst

Of all the names listed in the OP, he is by far the one I want.

As Iowa is going more and more to a power blocking scheme, he would be the perfect person dialing up plays. Plus, he already has a nephew on staff, so it seems like a natural fit.

How about one of the OC's from the Service Academies? Triple Option since our passing game is in the toilet.

I have seen Wyoming OC Tim Polasek thrown out there. Polasek was the OL coach at Iowa from 2017-2020 which overlaps with Brian's best years as the OC.

Iowa's offensive decline started in 2021, and got even worse in 2022 when KOK left and Brian was made the QB coach. Maybe it's all a coincidence, but I have a hunch Brian was leaning on both Polesak and KOK heavily for support. When they both left, Brian just seemed lost.

I have seen Wyoming OC Tim Polasek thrown out there. Polasek was the OL coach at Iowa from 2017-2020 which overlaps with Brian's best years as the OC.

Iowa's offensive decline started in 2021, and got even worse in 2022 when KOK left and Brian was made the QB coach. Maybe it's all a coincidence, but I have a hunch Brian was leaning on both Polesak and KOK heavily for support. When they both left, Brian just seemed lost.
Very, very unlikely.

Polasek by all accounts was a toxic ass that was hated by many players and parents. I doubt Kirk tried to bar the door as he left....

Let's update the program to something that recruits want to be a part of... KENDALL BRILLES..... Formerly OC at Baylor (leave his Dad out of this conversation) and currently OC at TCU.... Making 1.5 million.... Pay Phil first.... then double Brille's pay.... Up tempo offense, and knows his way around Texas and the South to recruit... Hawks need a shot of Positive vibes into their offense.... Change this terrible taste in our mouths.... Go Hawks.... Progressive change needed...
Hard to see Kirk going for an up-tempo type offense, and he's probably right. An ideal offense for us would be one that efficiently moves the ball and scores at a decent clip, but maximizes TOP.

Probably deserves a dedicated thread.

Obviously, things move pretty fast so the list will morph over time.

Based upon some searching, I ran across quite a few coaches that appear to be ripe for promotions or a lateral move depending upon the situation. I broke it down to internal and external candidates.

Internal:
Phil Parker. Has already expressed that he's not interested in a HC position.
Jon Budmayr. He'll obviously get a look. I don't know any Hawkeye fans that seem excited about the idea, but Kirk can be loyal to a fault.
Lavar Woods. Highly respected and has the traits you look for. Budding star. Question is, is he ready and/or qualified for that jump right now?
George Barnett. Just kidding. Might be qualified as an OC at a division 1A middle school...

External:
Paul Chryst. Strong possibility here IMO. Kirk would be comfortable with him and they have similar philosophies.
Joe Moorhead, HC, Akron, and former PSU OC. Akron hasn't panned out well. Another guy whom Kirk would be comfortable with. Has prior success.
Tony Tokarz, QB coach, FSU.
Gino Guidugli, QB coach, Notre Dame.
Willy Korn, OC, Liberty.
Jim Zebrowski, QB coach, now co-OC, Kansas. Recently promoted when Andy Kotelnicki was snatched up by James Franklin.
Cortez Hankton, Passing game coordinator, LSU
Mack Leftwich, OC, Texas State.

The question will be whether Kirk is willing to get outside of his comfort zone and hire an up-and-comer, or look for an older coach with which he is very familiar. If I had to guess right now, I would say Budmayr if he stays internal, or Chryst if he looks outside. Personally, several of the young guns above would be great options IMO, but we'll miss the boat if he slow-walks the process. All of them appear to be hot candidates.
Of course he's going to slow walk, he wants baby boy to get his bowl bonus and get something on the 2024 W2. All the good OC's will be hired and he will get Budmayr by default. This is his plan. In his press conference he is still in denial about the offense. Unexpected injuries derailed the offense, the gist of his words. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. If he's offering this in his press conference coming off being shut out, again, first time since '78, does anyone expect any changes to the offense? Beth really needed to be specific on Brian's end of contract. The new OC should be running these practices right now so they can evaluate the offense and see what needs to be done in the portal and hopefully bring a couple of players with them. I know I'm dreaming. I would be fine with Chryst or an experienced hand, just get them here now. The uncertainty of not knowing is going to affect recruiting, roster, and the portal. Don't wait Kirk! But alas, he will.

Yep, new OC whoever that is, should be there and evaluating 2024 and beyond, this tells me going to see the same lame shit going forward, especially with lack of serious recruiting or portal action. this wait until February crock of shit doesn't cut it anymore.

What would KF say?

KF: Come play for us
Skill position recruit: I see that you got a new OC. Why did the other one get fired? Is the new one better than the old one?
KF: