Campos Commits...

mark me down as one who doesn't "get" Mizzou. Crappy old stadium, Columbia is nothing special.

Agreed. So many kids from my graduating class (Des Moines) went there. I don't get it either. It's not a good school, it's not that good of a party town. This is an entirely separate issue, but it's important. Athletics aside, kids from DM have a negative view about UI and they look down upon it. Obviously there are tons of DM kids that go there and lots of my friends do, but people still view it as bad choice for a high school senior. They think the school sucks and the social scene is lacking. Everyone that knows anything would tell you that it's a respected university with a great party scene.

Now, recruiting and sports is whole different animal but I think the principle still applies.

Agreed. So many kids from my graduating class (Des Moines) went there. I don't get it either. It's not a good school, it's not that good of a party town. This is an entirely separate issue, but it's important. Athletics aside, kids from DM have a negative view about UI and they look down upon it. Obviously there are tons of DM kids that go there and lots of my friends do, but people still view it as bad choice for a high school senior. They think the school sucks and the social scene is lacking. Everyone that knows anything would tell you that it's a respected university with a great party scene.

Now, recruiting and sports is whole different animal but I think the principle still applies.

I would like to see this list of people. My guess is you could put in on a matchbook. I grew up in Des Moines and can say that this statement is about as far from the truth as one can get. UI is an excellent school academically. If you do well there, there is nothing you will not be able to do in the future in terms of jobs, getting into graduate schools, etc. Social scene lacking? You have to be kidding me. Is this ISUer?

Missouri's not a bad school and ironically has a strength in journalism which (correct me if I'm wrong) Iowa has also.

I don't buy this one bit. Iowa is a top notch public university and many rankings bear this out every single year. Also, the association with the B1G / CIC should give Iowa street cred for any educator in this state worth a ****. No one advising a high-schooler from Iowa could make a case that Missouri is a better choice academically than UI.

Plus, Missouri's in ****ing Missouri.

I'm trying to come up with good reasons for an OL recruit from Iowa to choose Missouri over offers from Iowa and Wisconsin. Playing time? ok, I give, why?

Not that this really matters, but I couldn't help mentioning that Missouri chickened out of a 4-game series with Iowa that would have been played over the past 8 years and an average 7-5 Iowa team beat their 10-2 #11 ranked team in a bowl game.

The quickest road to the NFL is Iowa.

BHA "If you are in the late rounds and don't have a guy you like... go with BHA...Best Hawkeye Available because no coach, and no program is more respected than Kirk Ferentz and Iowa"

You all seem to be assuming that Campos picked Mizzou over Iowa. That may not be the case, maybe Iowa backed off and didn't show real interest as of late. OL is not a place Iowa usually misses on in recruiting, especially tackle.

Dan Hoch starts at right tackle for Mizzou, but would he at Iowa? Not necessarily.

Last edited:
I'm trying to come up with good reasons for an OL recruit from Iowa to choose Missouri over offers from Iowa and Wisconsin. Playing time? ok, I give, why?

Not that this really matters, but I couldn't help mentioning that Missouri chickened out of a 4-game series with Iowa that would have been played over the past 8 years and an average 7-5 Iowa team beat their 10-2 #11 ranked team in a bowl game.

The quickest road to the NFL is Iowa.

BHA "If you are in the late rounds and don't have a guy you like... go with BHA...Best Hawkeye Available because no coach, and no program is more respected than Kirk Ferentz and Iowa"

Maybe he didn't like teh campus. Maybe he didn't like teh coaches. Maybe he didn't want to play in teh Big 10. Maybe he like teh programs at Mizzou better. Maybe he wants to go out of teh state.

Maybe some of you guys should take off your hawk colored glasses and try to empathize with these kids.

If I remember right, not very good.

Google "Girls of the SEC" no wonder these High school kids flock to those schools...:eek:

The older Hoch brother played as a true freshman and ended up being a multi-year starter.

I don't think the younger one has seen the field yet.

Don't Google "Girls of Iowa".

bilde

Good for the kid. Can't get too caught up in the decision of a 17 year old and where he chooses to take his talents. Sure, would like to see us keep top in-state kids but the world still goes round and round ... We can toss shots at the kid's decision but the bottom line is it is his life ... not ours ...

Latest posts