Cade injury is for the course for us Iowa fans.

If this isnt a sign from the football Gods to clean house and start fresh. I don’t know what the heck is.
We are 4-1, with a manageable schedule and a shot at winning the division title and we should clean house now? Really? Maybe we get there eventually, but man.....

It sucks losing our starting QB, but as others have said, his 70% health on the field was a liability. I think the offense will respond under Hill and be below average instead of truly terrible. That could be good enough.

Either way I am not giving up on a season where our only loss was on the road to one of the best teams in the country, and we should be favored in all but one of the remaining contests.

I would guess Cade May retire from football, unless the injury has a short recovery schedule. No way he goes to the next level. Too small with tendency to get hurt. Sure wish we could have had a healthy Cade. Good skills, proven commodity, great leadership. You have to really like this young man. Oh, what could have been…

I would guess Cade May retire from football, unless the injury has a short recovery schedule. No way he goes to the next level. Too small with tendency to get hurt. Sure wish we could have had a healthy Cade. Good skills, proven commodity, great leadership. You have to really like this young man. Oh, what could have been…
Cade is a great leader and has had a great career. He has his whole life ahead of him.

I just hope he makes good choices knowing he may live another 60 or 70 years. Big Ten football is pretty tough on a healthy body. He hasn’t been 100 percent healthy for a long time.

Hill is probably better than McNamara.
This statements seems a bit self-serving given our situation, but I think you could be right. The coaches have raved about Hill since he stepped on campus, but McNamara was handed NIL and starting job before he joined the team, and the coaches were going with him barring injury, which has now happened.

Hill just might be a better fit for this offense. He is big with a big arm and doesn't mind going down the field. Cade was a check down Charlie, That was always my gripe with Greg Davis and sometimes BF, if all you do is run and throw it 5 yards, what incentive do the safeties have to stay back? Hill looks to stretch the field. And he can run a little, boot, sneak, and shake off a sack. All things Cade just could not do given his size and injury.

Cade's injury was not going to heal and he was always going to be 70%. KF would not have benched him, so the injury is, IMHO, a blessing in disguise.

Hill is probably better than McNamara.
I bet he is too. He's better then the McNamara we got trying to play through a bum leg this whole time so far. Sucks we never got to see a 100% Cade. He was a shell of himself these games he's played. Had he never hurt his his leg in August and coulda practiced that whole time leading up into the yr I wonder how much things could've changed.

Doesn't matter now Hill is the man with Labas on deck. These WRs need to get some damn stickem for their gloves because Hill can rip it. This will be an interesting week of practice for everyone. How's BF going to handle it? Hill wasn't getting reps with the 1st team during this first month of games (depending on how much rest Cade was getting during the week maybe Hill was getting some) But he did get a lot of 1st team reps in August up till the last week before 1st game. As far as our playbook goes he's had damn near as much time as Cade has had with it.

I bet he is too. He's better then the McNamara we got trying to play through a bum leg this whole time so far. Sucks we never got to see a 100% Cade. He was a shell of himself these games he's played. Had he never hurt his his leg in August and coulda practiced that whole time leading up into the yr I wonder how much things could've changed.

Doesn't matter now Hill is the man with Labas on deck. These WRs need to get some damn stickem for their gloves because Hill can rip it. This will be an interesting week of practice for everyone. How's BF going to handle it? Hill wasn't getting reps with the 1st team during this first month of games (depending on how much rest Cade was getting during the week maybe Hill was getting some) But he did get a lot of 1st team reps in August up till the last week before 1st game. As far as our playbook goes he's had damn near as much time as Cade has had with it.

McNamara's love of the checkdown is a result of playing at Michigan. You check it down to a guy at Michigan and there's a 5-10% chance you just booked a 75 yard TD pass. But the dude doesn't know that if you check it down at Iowa you have a 100% chance of the best result being a 3 yard gain.

This statements seems a bit self-serving given our situation, but I think you could be right. The coaches have raved about Hill since he stepped on campus, but McNamara was handed NIL and starting job before he joined the team, and the coaches were going with him barring injury, which has now happened.

Hill just might be a better fit for this offense. He is big with a big arm and doesn't mind going down the field. Cade was a check down Charlie, That was always my gripe with Greg Davis and sometimes BF, if all you do is run and throw it 5 yards, what incentive do the safeties have to stay back? Hill looks to stretch the field. And he can run a little, boot, sneak, and shake off a sack. All things Cade just could not do given his size and injury.

Cade's injury was not going to heal and he was always going to be 70%. KF would not have benched him, so the injury is, IMHO, a blessing in disguise.
Some people just assume that because CM was the big man on campus with a lot of fanfare that he has to be the best of the two. I do NOT mean to take anything away from CM because every account I've heard was that he was a great guy and dedicated teammate who wanted t give everything he had and win ball games.

But it's easy to forget that Drew Bledsoe was once the big dog in town and we all know how that story went.

It can happen, and Deke (in the somewhat limited showing) has played the position better.

Nothing I hate more when watching is gaining 2-3 yrds on a pass play. I don't get it. The risk vs reward doesn't seem to be there for me and a 6 yrd pass play is just as safe as a 3 yrd pass play to me, if wanted to go with short passes.

OK, this thread has turned way too positive. You people are scaring me. Let's see the kid play a little bit more before we start comparing him to Stanley, let alone Brady. :)

But, hope springs eternal, and we were going nowhere with Cade's bum leg. Might as well have been Petras back there.

OK, this thread has turned way too positive. You people are scaring me. Let's see the kid play a little bit more before we start comparing him to Stanley, let alone Brady. :)

But, hope springs eternal, and we were going nowhere with Cade's bum leg. Might as well have been Petras back there.

I was going to say he's freaking Lamar.....................without the athleticism and blackness.

McNamara's love of the checkdown is a result of playing at Michigan. You check it down to a guy at Michigan and there's a 5-10% chance you just booked a 75 yard TD pass. But the dude doesn't know that if you check it down at Iowa you have a 100% chance of the best result being a 3 yard gain.
I don't subscribe to all the he's just a total checkdown Charlie type that I've been seeing. I think he runs the offense he's in well. He throws a catchable ball to receivers so they can get RAC regardless of route. His 2021 highlights show him executing all types of different plays throughout the yr situationally. Does he have a cannon? No but he's got several throws on here where he's going 40 plus yards downfield with it. Plus from one hashmark across the field to outside the numbers. His arm is plenty good enough.

Not to mention he's 100 times more mobile then he ever showed us during his short time here. He isn't at Michigan anymore because they just so happened to have a 5 star kid that was bigger taller stronger arm and more athletic take over for him when he got hurt and got Wally Pipped. Problem with Cade now is he's damaged goods more so then anything. Will he ever get back to what he was in 2021?... That seems debatable now

Look, buddy, I know a 10 win Iowa QB the moment I see him in a pressure situation with the marbles down. You know him, too, the kind of guy who won't get a sniff at the NFL but who can be an Iowa legend. The first time this guy lumbered on a bootleg I got Chuck Long versus MSU vibes. This kid is the real damned deal. Game manager. Check. Can run a QB sneak. Check. Knows to look for the TE. Check. Doesn't melt down when the WRs catch perfect passes. Check. This kid is for real. If Nate Chandler and Nate Stanley had a baby and named him Deacon it would be this kid.

Not to mention he's 100 times more mobile then he ever showed us during his short time here. He isn't at Michigan anymore because they just so happened to have a 5 star kid that was bigger taller stronger arm and more athletic take over for him when he got hurt and got Wally Pipped. Problem with Cade now is he's damaged goods more so then anything. Will he ever get back to what he was in 2021?... That seems debatable now

Programs like UAB and Coastal Carolina need players and I'm sure he will find a good home.

In all fairness to Cade and I don't mean this as a shot at him by any means. The issue is we can only compare Hill to the Cade we've seen at Iowa and not the Cade that we saw at Michigan prior to the injury. Cade has been a shell of his former self since returning and honestly the gap between current Cade and Hill at this point seems minimal. While I agree I'm not so sure how optimistic we should be I think it's fair to say we don't need an NFL caliber performance from Hill for our offense to be be mediocre (or honestly just bad) what we need is a QB that when healthy can take us from putrid to serviceable and something that isn't a liability.

Latest posts