C-Mac love

Connor is a really good rebounder for having to play as an undersized 4, he feeds the post better than maybe anyone in college basketball, and he brings a level of grit/toughness that this program was sorely lacking for awhile.

If he can hit a 3 here and there as well, then that's just icing on the cake....

Lookie here... He was a threat to score yesterday. Without that, Hawkeye s dont win. If you lookie on the court you will see he is given a lot os space. You could stand alone on the court and get nice passes to Garza or whoever else is open due a 3rd player collapsing on Garza who is already having CM s man hanging on him.

Garza s year is special. Doesnt happen very often. Why settle for 4th?

So lookie, 3 points a game isnt going to cut it. 9 points is a threat.

12 posts on something so obvious....? Learn the game if you dont see it.

Some of you act like he just holds back for the good of the cause and team spirit. He even saved the Illini from having to exert themselves for a lost cause at the end of the game he s such a saint.

He score 9 per game, Iowa wins Big....pun intended
Well, his free throw shooting iced a Rutgers game that could easily have slipped away. His defense, rebounding and assists have been big in other games.

He's a smart player. You can win with smart players. I've seen too many otherwise talented Iowa teams lose with dumb players, and players who turtled in clutch situations.

As for holding back, I call it playing within your limitations. I still think he has potential to take smaller guards inside and wish he would do it more often. You know how valuable he is too. You keep doubling and tripling down on how he is our barometer to winning a conference title. You hold him accountable for it on virtually every post in this thread.

Lookie here... He was a threat to score yesterday. Without that, Hawkeye s dont win. If you lookie on the court you will see he is given a lot os space. You could stand alone on the court and get nice passes to Garza or whoever else is open due a 3rd player collapsing on Garza who is already having CM s man hanging on him.

Some of you act like he just holds back for the good of the cause and team spirit. He even saved the Illini from having to exert themselves for a lost cause at the end of the game he s such a saint.

You need to learn the difference between scorer and treat to score. Connor is willing to shoot the open 3 and makes it at a 30% clip. That's a threat to score. If he scored 9 per game, he would be a scorer. You want him to be a scorer, not a threat to score. More importantly, you don't even seem to care if he's an efficient scorer. Him scoring 9 per game isn't going to help us win one but. But scoring 9 per game efficiently would.

Also if Connor was a 9 per game scorer, be would be on All Big 10 teams. You're basically singling out our 4th best player and saying he needs to be an All Big 10 player for us to win the Big 10. Well someone needs to play better for us to win it probably. But it doesn't have to be Connor. We can use your take of "if so and so was a better player, we would be a better team" with any player on the roster, including Garza. It's a real genius take.

I think CMac is a player willing to do whatever it takes, game to game, to win. Great basketball IQ. Good teams always seem to have a player like him
Yes exactly. I've seen too many teams lost those confefence titles that Gold so desperately wants because of overall low basketball IQ.

You need to learn the difference between scorer and treat to score. Connor is willing to shoot the open 3 and makes it at a 30% clip. That's a threat to score. If he scored 9 per game, he would be a scorer. You want him to be a scorer, not a threat to score. More importantly, you don't even seem to care if he's an efficient scorer. Him scoring 9 per game isn't going to help us win one but. But scoring 9 per game efficiently would.

Also if Connor was a 9 per game scorer, be would be on All Big 10 teams. You're basically singling out our 4th best player and saying he needs to be an All Big 10 player for us to win the Big 10. Well someone needs to play better for us to win it probably. But it doesn't have to be Connor. We can use your take of "if so and so was a better player, we would be a better team" with any player on the roster, including Garza. It's a real genius take.
Spot on again. Anyone who can't see the intangibles Connor brings to the floor needs to learn the game themselves. There are countless examples of winning teams having Connor type players.

Also Connor isn't averaging the 3 points per game that Gold claims he is. It's 6.3, manyof them in critical situations. So he is factually incorrext as well.

Last edited:
Not sure I've seen anyone compare him to Draymon Green or not but that kinda comes to mind for me on him. Granted they aren't the same by any means. But in that they are versatile and just do whatever it takes to win game to game. One game he might need to hit a 3 or two. The next to handle the ball and run the O. The next to get some tough rebounds and play D against guys you're normally out of position having to guard. I'm not a huge fan of Green himself I'm not trying to pain myself as being that. But as far as two their games are I wonder if anyone else kinda sees it.

Well, his free throw shooting iced a Rutgers game that could easily have slipped away. His defense, rebounding and assists have been big in other games.

He's a smart player. You can win with smart players. I've seen too many otherwise talented Iowa teams lose with dumb players, and players who turtled in clutch situations.

As for holding back, I call it playing within your limitations. I still think he has potential to take smaller guards inside and wish he would do it more often. You know how valuable he is too. You keep doubling and tripling down on how he is our barometer to winning a conference title. You hold him accountable for it on virtually every post in this thread.

Agree with a lot of that. Also add there is a plus to being Frans son much more than A Knight per being a son of a coach. As I ve said we have an unusual player that might be the national player of the year. Havent had that since Lester.

Would hate to see that wasted. Conner is likely the key. He scores or 10 ppg here on out and Hawks win the Big and maybe more.

The reasonable ceiling is much more than 4th Big.

Limiting factors:

Conner scoring which will impact Garza against better well coached teams.

Joe playing time.

Fran being Fran

Aside from the obvious like injuries.

Agree with a lot of that. Also add there is a plus to being Frans son much more than A Knight per being a son of a coach. As I ve said we have an unusual player that might be the national player of the year. Havent had that since Lester.

Would hate to see that wasted. Conner is likely the key. He scores or 10 ppg here on out and Hawks win the Big and maybe more.

Limiting factors:

Joe playing time.

Fran being Fran

We lost 2 close games with CJ hurt. That is our biggest hurdle for winning the conference right now. There are 9 games left and our ceiling is higher than 4th. That doesn't mean we will reach our ceiling.

Limiting factors:

Joe playing time.

Fran being Fran

February is beginning. Could be a memorable one. Good start yesterday.

How about Garza not scoring at all until around the five minute remaining mark of the first half, then still getting his 25.

And the dagger to seal it! Carver erupted. I was sitting on that end and our section went nuts.

Not sure I've seen anyone compare him to Draymon Green or not but that kinda comes to mind for me on him. Granted they aren't the same by any means. But in that they are versatile and just do whatever it takes to win game to game. One game he might need to hit a 3 or two. The next to handle the ball and run the O. The next to get some tough rebounds and play D against guys you're normally out of position having to guard. I'm not a huge fan of Green himself I'm not trying to pain myself as being that. But as far as two their games are I wonder if anyone else kinda sees it.
Agreed. Kinda that player that gets under other teams skin cuz he seems to b in right position at right time. Also, I love the FIRE he brings to the game, just like his dad. I feel like this team brings as much enthusiasm/fire/confidence as about any IA team in recent memory.
Emotion are a big part of sports and can be used to your advantage. I feel like this team uses that to spark runs on both sides of court!

February is beginning. Could be a memorable one. Good start yesterday.

How about Garza not scoring at all until around the five minute remaining mark of the first half, then still getting his 25.

And the dagger to seal it! Carver erupted. I was sitting on that end and our section went nuts.

Thats all good. He is always a threat. Conner does what he did....this season will be memorable.

It was like an old style big game. Loved it.

I was at the game without Conners grit we don’t win. As frustrated as we were at the defense by Illnoy, Conner kept his cool fought three picks and scrambled for every loose ball. He is the glue guy.

giphy.gif

CMac is the Brad Marchand of the Big Ten. Both are winners, you want both on your team, both cause constant irritation to the opponents.

Limiting factors:

Joe playing time.

Fran being Fran

So was it "wasted" when Lester was a junior and we were bounced from the NCAA in the first round after winning the Big 10? Was it "wasted" during Lester's senior season (albeit he was injured) when we finished fourth in the Big 10 but went to the Final Four? I don't understand your "wasted" comment.

Connor is a hard-nosed player who does what it takes to win. How many times have we (especially you, HawkGold) pined for players like that who end up on Wisconsin's roster? He is a coach on the floor and not only does every team member listen to him, he also gets on himself as much as any of the others. We have been sorely lacking in that kind of leader for a long time. And the best thing about it is, he's just a sophomore. Two more seasons of his leadership skills.

I've said it to everyone I know and I'll say it here. If Garza and Wies come back next year, barring injuries we should have a very special season.

So was it "wasted" when Lester was a junior and we were bounced from the NCAA in the first round after winning the Big 10? Was it "wasted" during Lester's senior season (albeit he was injured) when we finished fourth in the Big 10 but went to the Final Four? I don't understand your "wasted" comment.

Connor is a hard-nosed player who does what it takes to win. How many times have we (especially you, HawkGold) pined for players like that who end up on Wisconsin's roster? He is a coach on the floor and not only does every team member listen to him, he also gets on himself as much as any of the others. We have been sorely lacking in that kind of leader for a long time. And the best thing about it is, he's just a sophomore. Two more seasons of his leadership skills.
:mad:
I've said it to everyone I know and I'll say it here. If Garza and Wies come back next year, barring injuries we should have a very special season.
Toledo, 1979 NCAA'S:mad:

Couldn't hit a free throw to save our lives, played too conservative in second half (pre shot clock) and Stan Joplin...

STAN JOPLIN!!! I used his name the way Red Sox fans used Bucky Dent's.

Latest posts