C-Mac love

Yeah, but Bobby Wilkerson jumped center, and got hurt early in the NC game, so he doesn't count. :)

Come to think of it, it's not like Quinn Buckner was lighting up the scoreboard. Their 1975 team, which some claim to be better, lost its mojo when Scott May broke his arm at the end of the season, though he did try and play with a big protector/brace on his forearm.

Man, Bobby Knight had some good teams at Indiana...
Bobby Knight, who played against ahead-of-his-time Oscar Robertson in college, would bring backcourt physicality to what was for decades a wallflower conference. At the time, Bill Musselman's Minnesota teams were probably the most physical in the conference. Bobby's guards were like NFL defensive backs, and Buckner himself did go to Indiana originally to play football. It would take the B1G a decade to catch up. Coaches like Lou Henson, Gene Keady and Jud Heathcote would eventually see that the only way to slow the Knight train was to recruit bigger, more physical guards.

Oscar Robertson has been criminally overlooked when it comes to mentioning the all time NBA greats. It's another part of the Jordan effect. Pre-Michael, many people did talk about Robertson as possibly the GOAT, especially inch per inch. Not playing on those great Celtic or Laker teams may have hurt him as well.

Bobby Knight, who played against ahead-of-his-time Oscar Robertson in college, would bring backcourt physicality to what was for decades a wallflower conference. At the time, Bill Musselman's Minnesota teams were probably the most physical in the conference. Bobby's guards were like NFL defensive backs, and Buckner himself did go to Indiana originally to play football. It would take the B1G a decade to catch up. Coaches like Lou Henson, Gene Keady and Jud Heathcote would eventually see that the only way to slow the Knight train was to recruit bigger, more physical guards.

Oscar Robertson has been criminally overlooked when it comes to mentioning the all time NBA greats. It's another part of the Jordan effect. Pre-Michael, many people did talk about Robertson as possibly the GOAT, especially inch per inch. Not playing on those great Celtic or Laker teams may have hurt him as well.

Really, it was Bird/Magic that shoved Big O aside in the discussion. For some reason, "modern era" hacks fail to understand Big O not only embodied, but pretty much defined, "versatility". Modern hacks thought Bird/Magic invented the concept. Wrongly, of course.

Last edited:
Really, it was Bird/Magic that shoved Big O aside in the discussion. For some reason, "modern era" hacks fail to understand Big O not only embodied, but pretty much defined, "versatility". Modern hacks thought Bitd/Magic invented the concept. Wrongly, of course.
Those early seventies Knicks teams also brought a refreshing change to the Laker-Celtic domination. And boy did it stick in Red Auerbach's craw. Perhaps if great individual stars like Dr J and David Thompson, Rick Barry (for a time) and Moses Malone (for a time) weren't playing in the ABA it would have given the Boston LA monopoly more competition.

Those early seventies Knicks teams also brought a refreshing change to the Laker-Celtic domination. And boy did it stick in Red Auerbach's craw. Perhaps if great individual stars like Dr J and David Thompson, Rick Barry (for a time) and Moses Malone (for a time) weren't playing in the ABA it would have given the Boston LA monopoly more competition.

The ABA All-Star Game was the greatest show on Earth! Add McGinnis, Issel, Gilmore, et. al., and it's no wonder the NBA accepted the quasi-merge.

Interesting post but I don’t agree that Buckner went to Indiana to play football.
He was the best player on one of the best high school teams in Illinois basketball history. He was a basketball first guy.
Re Bob Knight and Oscar Robinson, according to schedules, it seems Bob Knight and Oscar Robertson never met on the court. If their teams would have played, Bob would have been watching from the bench.

Interesting post but I don’t agree that Buckner went to Indiana to play football.
He was the best player on one of the best high school teams in Illinois basketball history. He was a basketball first guy.
Re Bob Knight and Oscar Robinson, according to schedules, it seems Bob Knight and Oscar Robertson never met on the court. If their teams would have played, Bob would have been watching from the bench.

Agreed. Buckner liked that Indiana would "allow" him to try football, but after sophomore year, Knight pretty much said, "Give up the football". That, and Corso had come in as coach, but Buckner was pretty much recruited under the John Pont staff.

Ohio State and Cincinnati squared off for the national championship two years in a row, with Cincinnati winning both.

Buckner did play football his freshman year at Indiana. Twenty four hours after the football season ended he was participating in a preseason basketball scrimmage. At the beginning of the scrimmage he didn't know the names of many of the players. By the end of the scrimmage he was the starting point guard.

He never returned to football but you are correct about his high school basketball accomplishments at South suburban Thornridge. He also won an Olympic gold medal in 1976in addition to a national championship. Buckner played a big role in the split between Ricky Calloway and Steve Alford who, along with the now deceased Daryl Thomas became staunch Knight defenders after Calloway was anti Knight during the dismissal from Indiana.

The ABA was great! And I loved the Red, White and Blue basketball.

Don't forget that without the ABA we wouldn't have the three point line. And one of the rules that didn't stick is that when a player "fouled out" he didn't... he could keep playing but when he fouled the opponent they got the free throws and the ball, kind of like a technical foul.

Well, well, well lookie there. We get a game where we needed Connor's outside shooting. In fact we probably don't win without it. His seven assists, zero turnovers, and good defense didn't hurt either.

This is why they call it a team. Guys stepping up and picking up teammates who don't have it that day, like Kriener.

Well, well, well lookie there. We get a game where we needed Connor's outside shooting. In fact we probably don't win without it. His seven assists, zero turnovers, and good defense didn't hurt either.

This is why they call it a team. Guys stepping up and picking up teammates who don't have it that day, like Kriener.

Oh come on. He stepped up and Hawks win like he didnt try to before. He just didnt.

He didnt step step up at Maryland right?

He s had 2 decent scoring games against P5 opponents going back to ISU.

Its his mechanics pure and simple. If teams leave him alone he can get some in.

If he steps up most every game this team should win the big. He doesnt it will be 4th or lower. I hope he does.

Oh come on. He stepped up and Hawks win like he didnt try to before. He just didnt.

He didnt step step up at Maryland right?

He s had 2 decent scoring games against P5 opponents going back to ISU.

Its his mechanics pure and simple. If teams leave him alone he can get some in.

If he steps up most every game this team should win the big. He doesnt it will be 4th or lower. I hope he does.
He presented a threat, which you spent about a dozen posts saying he doesn't.

I said he does what it takes to win that particular day, which on this day was outside shooting.

We still have our work cut out for us as to winning the conference. We are 1-4 on the road in the B1G for example. But if we don't win it im not pinning it on Connor. It will be because we weren't quite good enough.

Connor is not a great shooter, but other parts of his game are invaluable to Iowa's success. When he scores as well, Iowa is tough to beat. All 3 statements can be true.

Connor is not a great shooter, but other parts of his game are invaluable to Iowa's success. When he scores as well, Iowa is tough to beat. All 3 statements can be true.

Exactly. Right now, Connor is shooting right in line with Gesell's career stats giving up a bit on the 2's but hitting more FT's for around 1.1-1.5ppg less than Gesell's Sophomore and Junior years. The rest of his stats are great. Same assists, same steals, less turnovers, more rebounds. And I think most of us would regard Gesell as a solid PG. Having games like he did against Illinois where he hits 3's when he's open will prevent teams from sagging off him.

Also, this all says nothing about his versatility being our saving grace in light of all our injuries.

Is anyone else liking Connor more and more? I used to be pretty indifferent towards him and probably cared more about him doing good just so I didn't have to see the fallout on here, but now I look back and think maybe I had a little unconscious bias too. If you take away the fact that he's the coaches kid, there's nothing really to not like other than his shot form. Big deal there because better shooters have worse form than him sometimes.

He presented a threat, which you spent about a dozen posts saying he doesn't.

I said he does what it takes to win that particular day, which on this day was outside shooting.

We still have our work cut out for us as to winning the conference. We are 1-4 on the road in the B1G for example. But if we don't win it im not pinning it on Connor. It will be because we weren't quite good enough.

Lookie here... He was a threat to score yesterday. Without that, Hawkeye s dont win. If you lookie on the court you will see he is given a lot os space. You could stand alone on the court and get nice passes to Garza or whoever else is open due a 3rd player collapsing on Garza who is already having CM s man hanging on him.

Garza s year is special. Doesnt happen very often. Why settle for 4th?

So lookie, 3 points a game isnt going to cut it. 9 points is a threat.

12 posts on something so obvious....? Learn the game if you dont see it.

Some of you act like he just holds back for the good of the cause and team spirit. He even saved the Illini from having to exert themselves for a lost cause at the end of the game he s such a saint.

He score 9 per game, Iowa wins Big....pun intended

Is anyone else liking Connor more and more? I used to be pretty indifferent towards him and probably cared more about him doing good just so I didn't have to see the fallout on here, but now I look back and think maybe I had a little unconscious bias too. If you take away the fact that he's the coaches kid, there's nothing really to not like other than his shot form. Big deal there because better shooters have worse form than him sometimes.

He's gritty and if his 3 pt. % is north of 30% that gives us even more of a boost.

Latest posts