C. Guerrero Update

I'd rather have three or four solid PGs than chasing some stiff to play center.
Meyer isn't a stiff if you watched him at all on tape. That being said he has room to fill out and needs to improve his foot work. He isn't going to be a project.

To bad we lost out on Cezar but I'm sure Fran will do what he can to land a couple more solid recruits.

Oh well, we picked up a big time commit today anyways.. just kidding.. who am I kidding?

This one stings like no other, it's frustrating because everything went so perfect and flawless, the visit was as perfect as you could write up.. when it's all said and done, it still shows how far in the gutter Iowa basketball is..

This just ruined the hopes of a quick turnaround for me.

This is just silly.

Here's the thing and I'm going back to a thread on the state tourney. I can't remember who it was talked to Roy Williams, but he said that Fran had no shot at Paige or really any 2012 players because he got started late. That means he really had no shot at the 2011 studs. To even be in the final conversation for Cezar is pretty good for this year (I know, no moral victories) but I don't think you can call Fran a recruiting failure. Let's see how this class turns out and then in 2012 I think we can be a little harsher on our assessments.

Um, every program misses recruits...means nothing...next man in and the program is turning around whether you want to believe it or not...

We'll see. Yes Fran found some nice gems in Basabe, and Cartwright. BC is leaving after next year so PG is a must....and he hasn't found anyone YET.

Basketball isn't like football. You need good players right away, the potential for growth, especially at the guard positions is pretty low, if you're a great HS player, chances are you'll do just fine at college. Different for big men because most are usually still adapting to their bodies.

The staff must see something in Meyer that every other college besides East Carolina sees.

This team won't be much better next year unless a few things happen. Basabe continues to progress, Payne can get healthy and provide quality minutes, and May/Gatens get out of their slump....if it's really a slump and just not who they are.

Fran has made Hawkeye basketball somewhat enjoyable again (the losses are not), so i will agree he's got the program heading in the right direction. But to early to say if the team sees vast improvement next year.

We continue to lose recruiting battles....Uthoff, T. Harris, Cezar, etc.

Not the way to turn around a program.

Iowa won the recruiting battle for Oglesby (over MN, IL, BC, ASU, etc..).
Iowa won the recruiting battle for Cartwright (great find by Speraw).
Iowa won the recruiting battle for White (BC, NW, Miami, etc...)
Iowa was able to convince Melsahn Basabe to leave New York and come play basketball in the Midwest.
You get my point...

It's all relative.

Iowa will not get everyone they target. It's impossible.

Also, it's not sour grapes, you can re-read some of my earlier posts and chats to verify...

I would prefer Iowa get Carter over Cezar. I'm not saying Iowa WILL get Carter, but I prefer them to. If they miss on Carter (very possible), there are other PGs on the radar that are at the Cartwright level that can help out the Hawkeyes.

Iowa won the recruiting battle for Oglesby (over MN, IL, BC, ASU, etc..).
Iowa won the recruiting battle for Cartwright (great find by Speraw).
Iowa won the recruiting battle for White (BC, NW, Miami, etc...)
Iowa was able to convince Melsahn Basabe to leave New York and come play basketball in the Midwest.
You get my point...

It's all relative.

Iowa will not get everyone they target. It's impossible.

We know Speraw found Cartwright. Can you tie any of the other recruits to one of the other assistants? Is basketball like football where an assistant is tied directly to a recruit?

As bent as I am about missing out on Cezar I'm ok with a swing and a miss here. Not to make excuses or cast aside the obvious disappointment of missing out on what sounds like a great PG, but we aren't really in the market for a starting PG this year. Sure we will probably need one after next season and that's assuming that Cully isn't our guy (I don't think he is) but lets not make this sound worse than it is.

PGs can come into the Big10 and start from year 1. Cully has 3 yrs left so throwing the next PG to the wolves just isn't going to happen.

Our immediate need is in the paint and a slashing wing. We just landed a 6'10" C who will probably enter Iowa at 6'11" which is something we haven't had in a LONG time. I have no doubts that Fran and Co will find the players that fit their style.

Disappointed but still upbeat.

It is the Ides of March. How appropriate that Cezar is now dead to us.

Friends, Iowans, Hawk fans, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Cezar, not to praise him.

or....

E tu, Okie?

Okay, I had to laugh at these, classic stuff. Sucks he went to OSU. If nothing else they play a similiar style and Ford is a little more established there. I agree with the guy that said Iowa did nothing wrong, being courtside while beating a top-ten team and rushing the court has to be exciting.

Honestly you shouldn't discount the facilities thing though. I know Iowa will have their practice facility open soon but T Boone's Taj Mahal is already there and visible. Honestly it has to be a huge selling point.

Okay, I had to laugh at these, classic stuff. Sucks he went to OSU. If nothing else they play a similiar style and Ford is a little more established there. I agree with the guy that said Iowa did nothing wrong, being courtside while beating a top-ten team and rushing the court has to be exciting.

Honestly you shouldn't discount the facilities thing though. I know Iowa will have their practice facility open soon but T Boone's Taj Mahal is already there and visible. Honestly it has to be a huge selling point.

Bryce, have you not seen the concept paintings of the future facility? The only way a recruit could see that and reject it is if they're getting T. Boone Kickbacks.

Um have you seen Oklahoma State's? It is ridiculous.

thats_the_joke.jpg

Unreal. If we can't land a kid who visits when we upset Purdue on senior day and storm the court, I am not sure what else can be done. So McCaffrey brings Basabe and the rest of guys have contributed what exactly? Not hitting the panic button, but I thought we were getting some seasoned coaches with relationsihps in Speraw and Dillard. Thus far I have been underwhelmed with what these guys have done, as Oglesby, White and Meyer are guys we can get with our eyes closed.

They have to nail the remaining two scholarships or we aren't going to be much better next year. Apparently we really aren't attractive to top recruits.

Latest posts