Bubble Watch: Championship Week

I agree. How many times will their high RPI NCAA berth followed by a Final Four appearance last year get mentioned between now and Sunday...by the talking heads?

Enough for your's, mine, & everyone else's heads on this board to explode. The real irritating part is if you've watched Syracuse this year, it's pretty easy to see, they're average at best. But they have a name & history so talking heads must discuss

Nebraska just dropped to 105 in RPI, so that's another "bad" loss for Iowa the moment. They may sneak back into the top 100 though when the tournaments are all played out.

Ok .. this may seem far out and/or outlandish, but as far as I'm concerned, this is what I think the committee should do.

Obviously, there will be 32 teams that get in automatically. OK .. I get that. So once that is done, pick a matrix .. any matrix .. or even make a combination of matrices.

The next 68 teams on that matrix (or combination) have their resumes drawn up and put on paper without any mention of their name or who they lost to/beat. All they get to know is their place on the matrix, their place on other matrices, and their record (home and away) versus the top 25/top 50/top 100/top 200 on the matrix.

The first 25 or so should be relatively easy .. just as they are now. It's when you get to "last 4/8 in", "first 4 out", and "next four out" that the blind test becomes important. Plus, the committee would have to/be able to better answer "Why team X over Team B".

I know .. I know .. this will never happen. But to me, it's just logical. You take out any perception of favoritism.

Again .. just my $.02 .. .. GO HAWKS!!!

Wake Forest drops in the opening round of ACC tourney as well. If both Syracuse and Wake Forest get in after first round bounces and comparable schedules and win/loss standings to us I will lose my shit.

Wake Forest drops in the opening round of ACC tourney as well. If both Syracuse and Wake Forest get in after first round bounces and comparable schedules and win/loss standings to us I will lose my shit.

Wake Forest won yesterday, today wasn't the first round. They became a near lock by winning that one, although today would've clinched it for sure. If Wake doesn't get in, Iowa has no chance without winning the BTT because a lot of teams stole bids. Iowa can't pass them based on resume IMO.

You can use this link if you want to compare teams, just pick who you want to compare with.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/team-comparison/IOWA/undefined

Last edited:
Wake Forest won yesterday, today wasn't the first round. They became a near lock by winning that one, although today would've clinched it for sure. If Wake doesn't get in, Iowa has no chance without winning the BTT because a lot of teams stole bids. Iowa can't pass them based on resume IMO.

You can use this link if you want to compare teams, just pick who you want to compare with.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/team-comparison/IOWA/undefined

I look at their record and I just don't see how they are better than us. They are 3-8 against the top 50. We are 5-7. We played more top 50 games. We won more of them then they did and we lost less of them. I guess if the only factor your going off of is the inflated RPI. The ACC has gotten too much love in the RPI. Wake Forest is over rated. We have 3 of the same losses Virginia, Notre Dame, and Northwestern. The big difference for me is we beat 2 top 25 teams on the road. Wake Forest can not say this and we should definitely be in over them if we beat Indiana and 1000x true if we beat Whisky again.

With Syracuse's loss, USA Today has Iowa in, playing USC in the opening round, with the winner playing Virginia.

Link

For some reason Lunardi STILL has Syracuse in this morning after they just lost to Miami. I have no idea how that is even possible...what a total and absolute joke. Insert rant about ESPN and the ACC right here.

Jerry Palm has suddenly vaulted Iowa to the top of his "first 4 out" list after not having them listed at all yesterday.

For some reason Lunardi STILL has Syracuse in this morning after they just lost to Miami. I have no idea how that is even possible...what a total and absolute joke. Insert rant about ESPN and the ACC right here.

Jerry Palm has suddenly vaulted Iowa to the top of his "first 4 out" list after not having them listed at all yesterday.
Syracuse alumn? East Coast bias? Boeheim man crush?

Today:

Michigan over Illinois - 11am - BTN
ISU over OK St. - 11:30am - ESPN2
Middle Tennessee St. over UT SA - 11:30am
Tennessee over Georgia - 12pm - SECN
PSU over MSU - 1:25pm - BTN
Kansas over TCU - 1:30pm - ESPN2
Utah over California - 4:30 - PAC12
Texas A&M over Vanderbilt - 6pm - SECN
Butler over Xavier - 6pm - FS1
Rutgers over Northwestern - 7:30 - ESPN2
Baylor over KSU - 8pm - ESPNU
Creighton over Providence - 8:30pm - FS1
UCLA over USC - 10:30 - ESPN

I don't think the MSU or NW games matter as those two are most likely solidly in...

The biggest ones in my mind are:
Baylor over KSU
Michigan over Illinois
Texas A&M over Vandy
Butler over Xavier

Today:

Michigan over Illinois - 11am - BTN
ISU over OK St. - 11:30am - ESPN2
Middle Tennessee St. over UT SA - 11:30am
Tennessee over Georgia - 12pm - SECN
PSU over MSU - 1:25pm - BTN
Kansas over TCU - 1:30pm - ESPN2