Brommer has to go!!!

Brommer is vastly improved this year.....but.....can you imagine where this team would be without Jaryd Cole right now? Cole plays good defense inside for the most part and he is very aggressive on the boards on both ends of the floor. He has even been very consistent hitting 16-17 footers when the team needs them.

If Iowa has to rely on Brommer to play 20 mins a game next year, they are in deep crap! Just because he is improved does not mean he is capable of starting in the Big Ten...Just because I spend two years souping up my Cadillac Deville does not mean I'm ready to run Nascar. My Deville might have new windshield wipers and bumper stickers, but it will never top 120 mph.

Brommer should never be a starting center in the Big Ten.

Brommer is vastly improved this year.....but.....can you imagine where this team would be without Jaryd Cole right now? Cole plays good defense inside for the most part and he is very aggressive on the boards on both ends of the floor. He has even been very consistent hitting 16-17 footers when the team needs them.

If Iowa has to rely on Brommer to play 20 mins a game next year, they are in deep crap! Just because he is improved does not mean he is capable of starting in the Big Ten...Just because I spend two years souping up my Cadillac Deville does not mean I'm ready to run Nascar. My Deville might have new windshield wipers and bumper stickers, but it will never top 120 mph.

Brommer should never be a starting center in the Big Ten.

I don't mean to just go at you for this post but what are our options? Do you think we can currently recruit a player that will be able to start at C as a true freshman? If a JUCO is solid, his first choice won't be the hawks.

For all the people who want Archie to leave and Brommer to go... What are our options???

I think you all may be forgetting the jump it is from HS or JUCO ball to the Big 10. Brommer has Big 10 expericnece and will not be great but to say he needs to go to start from scracth when he has one year left is insane. This one year will allow us to recruit a HS player a year to get used to the physical Big 10 play and mature.

I don't mean to just go at you for this post but what are our options? Do you think we can currently recruit a player that will be able to start at C as a true freshman? If a JUCO is solid, his first choice won't be the hawks.

For all the people who want Archie to leave and Brommer to go... What are our options???

I think you all may be forgetting the jump it is from HS or JUCO ball to the Big 10. Brommer has Big 10 expericnece and will not be great but to say he needs to go to start from scracth when he has one year left is insane. This one year will allow us to recruit a HS player a year to get used to the physical Big 10 play and mature.

Basabe did come in as a freshman and is playing Ok in the big ten. I think it is doable.

Basabe did come in as a freshman and is playing Ok in the big ten. I think it is doable.

Very true and I knew he would be the first example bourght up but don't use Basabe as a standard. I'm very impressed with both Cartwright and Basabe but don't expect the impact these two have had from any incoming freshman or juco transfer.

This isn't football... freshmen can come in ready to play and do! Did you not watch the Iowa game on Saturday?

Hardaway scored 30 on us... a FRESHMAN. Morgan was nearly as good... a FRESHMAN. Basabe was our leading scorer... a FRESHMAN.

The days of a project getting better every year to the point that a freshman can't come here and take his spot in the rotation are over! We just haven't been good for so long we still have an 80's mentality in basketball.

I think the best way to coach is to open up practice in the fall with your freshman listed as your starters. Give them the benefit of the doubt and force your return players to earn their spot back. Coach Fran kind of did this with McCabe this year.

This guy from GA... Meyer? He looks like he could come in and take Brommer's spot if Brommer can't use his experience to his advantage better. Brommer is frustrating though... he appears to have the skills to play much better than he is. He just leaves us begging for him to break out. I don't know if he will though. That 5 minute stretch against Iowa State was the best basketball he ever played. How can we get him to get in that mode again?

Very true and I knew he would be the first example bourght up but don't use Basabe as a standard. I'm very impressed with both Cartwright and Basabe but don't expect the impact these two have had from any incoming freshman or juco transfer.

Why not? Fran appears to know what he is looking for... if he found these two, why not two more? Normally I would read about this Meyer kid and think he just must not be very good, but now I see Fran is recruiting him and think otherwise.

If my son was being recruited by Lickliter, I would say no. If Fran was recruiting him, I would think Dang... didn't realize my son was that good! Seriously... who has Fran brought into the program you are not happy about?

This isn't football... freshmen can come in ready to play and do! Did you not watch the Iowa game on Saturday?

Hardaway scored 30 on us... a FRESHMAN. Morgan was nearly as good... a FRESHMAN. Basabe was our leading scorer... a FRESHMAN.

The days of a project getting better every year to the point that a freshman can't come here and take his spot in the rotation are over! We just haven't been good for so long we still have an 80's mentality in basketball.

I'm not saying that freshman can't contribute. This is obvious. In the past two years you can look at John Wall or Jared Sullinger as two dominate players.

The question is can Iowa bring in these type of players. I'm thrilled with Basabe's play but I think Basabe was a diamond in a rough and so was Cartwright. I hope I'm wrong but I don't expect to get this type of impact from JUCO or freshman that come to Iowa on a consistent basis.

I'm not saying that freshman can't contribute. This is obvious. In the past two years you can look at John Wall or Jared Sullinger as two dominate players.

The question is can Iowa bring in these type of players. I'm thrilled with Basabe's play but I think Basabe was a diamond in a rough and so was Cartwright. I hope I'm wrong but I don't expect to get this type of impact from JUCO or freshman that come to Iowa on a consistent basis.

I do expect it because I don't see any reason we shouldn't with what we have seen from Fran so far. It seems like every kid he goes after ends up getting offers from NC, Kansas, etc. immediately after. He obviously knows what he wants and is finding it. If he wants Meyers, I bet you he is for real.
I still wonder how hard he fought for Brust... that is a question we may never hear the truth about, but I have a feeling Fran is the ultimate poker player. See: Tom Sawyer's white fence painting.

I do expect it because I don't see any reason we shouldn't with what we have seen from Fran so far. It seems like every kid he goes after ends up getting offers from NC, Kansas, etc. immediately after. He obviously knows what he wants and is finding it. If he wants Meyers, I bet you he is for real.
I still wonder how hard he fought for Brust... that is a question we may never hear the truth about, but I have a feeling Fran is the ultimate poker player. See: Tom Sawyer's white fence painting.

I hope you are right.

Brommer: Fran is frustrated with him... he wouldn't be frustrated with him if he didn't vision him doing much better. Of course Fran would love to see Brommer play better for more than just personal reasons... of course Brommer would like to play better, I am sure if we are frustrated, he is even more so.
If Brommer AND May ever get going like they are capable of, this team will actually be dangerous.
Cole will always be one of my favorite players. Talk about giving it all since he was a freshman and putting up with the worst Iowa basketball ever had to offer. It will be interesting to hear his comments after he graduates and can open up a bit. He is a man of true spirit and when I say "One Poor Cole" I mean that with all respect. I wish he had another year. Can he pull a "Grandpa Settles" move for that leg injury?

They NEED to target a physical inside presence from the JUCO ranks, and I think they are trying to do that. Cole doesn't give us a lot on the offensive end, but his strength and hustle around the basket are going to be difficult to replace. I think Fran and company understand the type of player it takes to win at this level and they aren't going to sign somebody just to have another body. If they take a JUCO it's because they think he can play immediately, otherwise it's not worth the scholarship. Lickliter went JUCO and took Archie who is a project at best...Fran won't make that mistake.

I am hearing great things about Aaron White and I think he may be able to play inside some next year. He needs to add strength but it sounds like he has very good athleticism for a guy his size which can make him a difficult matchup, kind of like Basabe has been this year.

I don't necessarily want Brommer off the team, I just don't want to be in a position to have to rely on him for 20 mins a game because I just don't think he has the skills to stay on the court that much.

This guy from GA... Meyer? He looks like he could come in and take Brommer's spot if Brommer can't use his experience to his advantage better. Brommer is frustrating though... he appears to have the skills to play much better than he is. He just leaves us begging for him to break out. I don't know if he will though. That 5 minute stretch against Iowa State was the best basketball he ever played. How can we get him to get in that mode again?

He's a 2012 guy.

They NEED to target a physical inside presence from the JUCO ranks, and I think they are trying to do that. Cole doesn't give us a lot on the offensive end, but his strength and hustle around the basket are going to be difficult to replace. I think Fran and company understand the type of player it takes to win at this level and they aren't going to sign somebody just to have another body. If they take a JUCO it's because they think he can play immediately, otherwise it's not worth the scholarship. Lickliter went JUCO and took Archie who is a project at best...Fran won't make that mistake.

I am hearing great things about Aaron White and I think he may be able to play inside some next year. He needs to add strength but it sounds like he has very good athleticism for a guy his size which can make him a difficult matchup, kind of like Basabe has been this year.

I don't necessarily want Brommer off the team, I just don't want to be in a position to have to rely on him for 20 mins a game because I just don't think he has the skills to stay on the court that much.
Generally agree. Brommer could have the senior factor work on him and be worth 20'/game but I wouldn't want to count on it. White could play some inside and probably will barring another big man recruit but I'd rather not depend that much on a freshman, let alone one playing out of position. Plus, they're not all going to respond like Basabe. Archie under this coaching staff will probably generate some decent minutes as a Sr. but I wouldn't want to depend on it. If a rebounding savant JC like God's Gift Achiuwa came to Iowa, he'd be a star on a rising team in the BT. That will happen next year just based on our returners and who everyone else has leaving. Brommer could be very valuable as a Sr. off the bench. That's what I'd like to see.

UncleHawk

Lets look at the top rated big men who came into the Big Ten this year...

#1...Jared Sullinger/OSU...great player.
#27 Adrean Payne/MSU... gets spot minutes lately,but did not play much til lately...struggling.
#29 Meyers Leonard/Illin... gets only a handful of minutes...struggling.

BTW...Jordan Morgan of Michigan redshirted last year...so he is a 2nd year frosh.

Basabe and Sullinger are the exception for frosh big men in BCS conferences.
Expecting a true frosh to come in and start at center for Iowa is simply asking a lot.
Brommer will be a senior,and will improve over the offseason..just watch. He is going to be ultra motivated in the offseason and knows he has a chance to grab some college bb glory. He can handle 20+ minutes,with hopefully a newcomer and Archie taking the rest. Seniors get more calls,and they bully younger players...tht will be Brommer next year.

Lets look at the top rated big men who came into the Big Ten this year...

#1...Jared Sullinger/OSU...great player.
#27 Adrean Payne/MSU... gets spot minutes lately,but did not play much til lately...struggling.
#29 Meyers Leonard/Illin... gets only a handful of minutes...struggling.

BTW...Jordan Morgan of Michigan redshirted last year...so he is a 2nd year frosh.

Basabe and Sullinger are the exception for frosh big men in BCS conferences.
Expecting a true frosh to come in and start at center for Iowa is simply asking a lot.
Brommer will be a senior,and will improve over the offseason..just watch. He is going to be ultra motivated in the offseason and knows he has a chance to grab some college bb glory. He can handle 20+ minutes,with hopefully a newcomer and Archie taking the rest. Seniors get more calls,and they bully younger players...tht will be Brommer next year.

JHHawk is exactly right. Plus if Fran gets the big man he wants, we still have room for them and Brommer and Archie. I think then the following year he wants to bring in 2 more big men, and have them all spaced out well. Plus if he brings in a C/F you also have White who could be a SF/F and you have the bigs you want for this year.

Getting rid of Brommer would be a terrible idea. Even if the big recruit we bring is is great and wins the starting spot, Brommer can give valuable minutes off the bench.

great post jhhawk. Basabe is truly the first freshman post player who has stepped in the way he has and become a budding star. Most tall guys take a few years to mature, and once they do, they blossom. Brommer has some flashes of brilliance, and some real duds too. I like his great moments right now, and think he'll really turn it on next year. Anyone can throw down a wide open bunk a la Morgan from MU, but the baby hook with the left hand in major traffic is another level altogether. Count me as a Brommer fan, same for Gatens and May, time will prove me right.

Latest posts