Brommer has to go!!!

I just don't think brommer has the physical asset to be a big ten starter. He is one of the most uncoordinated people I have seen in a long time...and you can't teach that. There are times when I see him make a nice hook shot or a nice play and I'll think maybe he has some potential but then he will make some of the stupidest plays possible. I agree that a lot of it could be mental. It seems like he has absolutely no idea what to do with the ball when he gets it. But even if you fix that I still only see brommer being a bench player for us. I think dumping him off of our team is a little too far, but I feel like having him starting for us next year is going to be the most frustrating thing I can possibly imagine.

I take it you have not seen the times that Brommer has driven the ball from the high post and finished at the rim. He has scored in many more ways than with a nice hook shot. His biggest problems come from getting too handsy with his post defense, or being too aggressive hedging on a screen 30 feet from the basket. Brommer has made great improvement this season, and I can see him starting and making good contributions next season.

I have a novel idea, let's keep everyone on a team that will finish last in the big ten and is demonstrably less athletic than the other 10 teams in the conference and hope for 500% improvement in everybody next year.

That's exactly what we need to do. If it happens, it will be the first time we've returned the entire team in years and it will allow them to actually improve from one year to the next. You'll be shocked how much better the team will be. Additionally, the Big Ten will be down a bit next year making our improvement look even better.

It's clear we, as a fan base, have forgotten how important player retention and development is to a program.

He's bringing more than Marble and/or McCabe right now.

Maybe you mean May? Because Marble has played alright so far, and was a big contributor the other night. May has been invisible for most of the year.

I take it you have not seen the times that Brommer has driven the ball from the high post and finished at the rim. He has scored in many more ways than with a nice hook shot. His biggest problems come from getting too handsy with his post defense, or being too aggressive hedging on a screen 30 feet from the basket. Brommer has made great improvement this season, and I can see him starting and making good contributions next season.

100% agree with you, Sioux. He might be a junior, but as far as actual minutes played, he's more like a freshman. I'm hoping his game continues to improve.

Maybe you mean May? Because Marble has played alright so far, and was a big contributor the other night. May has been invisible for most of the year.

No, I meant Marble and McCabe. Marble's been up and down. Maddening so for the level of hype he brought in. He can't shoot particularly well. McCabe's been a liability quite frankly. Brommer has improved ten-fold since last year and will continue to do so IMO.

What exactly did you expect from Marble?

No, I meant Marble and McCabe. Marble's been up and down. Maddening so for the level of hype he brought in. He can't shoot particularly well. McCabe's been a liability quite frankly. Brommer has improved ten-fold since last year and will continue to do so IMO.

he was not highly ranked as a recruit. Iowa was by far his best offer. He's got potential, and we see it at times. His size, length and overall basketball savvy are all things that can be built upon. He obviously is struggling with shooting, hitting only 30% of his 3's. But his mid-range game is quite promising. Scored on pull-ups, dribble drive and fadeaway, getting to the lane and making it while being fouled yesterday. all very impressive. And Hardaway went off off as soon as Marble had to leave with 3 fouls early in the second half. Marble was the only guy with enough length and quickness to give Hardaway any difficulties.

Marble will be better next year. McCabe, as long as he's never asked to be a primary player, can be a good contributor. He has to make open 3's to have a positive impact (his 3-point % has dipped to 28%). At the moment, we have a few too many contributor/role type guys and too few lead dogs. Need more guys who can create something on their own or guys who can score if we throw them the ball in the post.

College basketball is a guards game. If you have one interior presence like a Johnson for Purdue or a Sullinger for OSU, to go along with three good guards, you can be a very competitive team.

Iowa has that in Basabe and next year he will be more refined offensively and more consistent. I think Brommer will be better and he won't attract the attention Basabe gets, and he is an active rebounder and capable on the offensive end.

Iowa is going to go as far as their guard play improves next year, IMO. To me, Marble has the most scoring upside. May needs to get consistent. Will be interesting to see if Cully Payne can deal with a backup role for his RS Soph season.

Iowa's bigg

Maddening so for the level of hype he brought in.

Marble may have gotten a little hype on these boards from Hawk fans but he was hardly hyped anywhere else. The kid is still only 18 years old and has a ton of growing to do. He should be a senior in High School this year with how young he is.

Marble's other offers according to Rivals: Buffalo, Dayton, Detriot, Fairfield and Providence.

I agree, I dont think there was much hype at all surrounding the arrival of Marble. It's not like he was highly recruited...if there was hype in the minds of some, it was expectations based upon last name

College basketball is a guards game. If you have one interior presence like a Johnson for Purdue or a Sullinger for OSU, to go along with three good guards, you can be a very competitive team.

Iowa has that in Basabe and next year he will be more refined offensively and more consistent. I think Brommer will be better and he won't attract the attention Basabe gets, and he is an active rebounder and capable on the offensive en

Iowa's bigg

Agreed, If Fran can find an impact inside player for next yr, he will have a lot of options to chose from. Competition brings out the best in players, If Cully is healthy he will push the heck out of Cartwright, which will make him better, if Josh O. can shoot like everyone says, Gatens better work on getting more consistent, Good programs have depth and if no one transfers then we should have more competition at every position next season. Regardless of this years record this program is getting better.

Last edited:
I agree, I dont think there was much hype at all surrounding the arrival of Marble. It's not like he was highly recruited...if there was hype in the minds of some, it was expectations based upon last name

This.

You can see his ability at times, but he's just not ready to reach his potential yet. He needs to fill out his frame before he can do that. But when he does, look out.

Andrew needs teammates playing better defense on the perimeter so he is not the last guy trying to block the shot or stop the drive. Mel and Jarryd are suffering some of the same symptoms.

He'll be fine if that starts to happen. I like to see him playing with a much greater degree of confidence than he had last year, and I expect that to continue next year.

Marble may have gotten a little hype on these boards from Hawk fans but he was hardly hyped anywhere else. The kid is still only 18 years old and has a ton of growing to do. He should be a senior in High School this year with how young he is.

Marble's other offers according to Rivals: Buffalo, Dayton, Detriot, Fairfield and Providence.

Well, you know, HN is my main source for Hawkeye news. Guess I'd better follow my avatar a bit better huh? ;)

It's funny you mention this. Because, when I watch I just say to myself "he's lost out there". Seems to be always blowing D assignments or getting out of position. I realized when he just wasn't on-top-of-it when Iowa was playing Indiana & Jordan Hulls was the only guy killing Iowa. One guy. Brommer ended up getting crossed on D by switching & left the Hulls with a wide open 3 at the top of the arc. Even my amateur azz in my recliner could notice it & I yelled "Why are you leaving him!", then Hulls drained another wide open 3.

Last edited:
Really? Your beef with Brommer is that he does not play good perimeter defense on a guard when he is forced to switch?

Good or bad he is ours for at least one more season. Brommer's performance is not that different than many of the players on the roster -- inconsistent. I can't be too hard on any kid who is working his tail off for the Hawks. He was offered a scholarship by the previous regime and he will be a Hawk for four seasons. Yes, I get just as frustrated watching someone come in and commit silly fouls, score few -- if any points -- etc. But, I can't get too upset because I never progressed past 9th grade basketball so I can't critique players too much on this level ...

Glad someone else saw this..my head was starting to hurt

Oh please, you guys, we're talking about basic fundamentals of basketball. You're saying a guy should get a get-out-of-jail-free card just because they're 6' 7" plus. We should not hold any players accountable on D who play the 5 or 4 spot? C'mon! We need to set a higher bar for Iowa basketball.

This was a situation where his frame or size didn't have any impact on the play, it was a mental decision he made. Indiana created a situation where Hulls & another player made the D switch & Brommer did a good job & was on Hulls. He had him face up at the 3 pt arc. Then for some reason he decided to leave & all I saw was the 20 on his back heading for the wing & Hulls saw that he left him, set his feet & sunk another 3.

This was well into the 2nd half & Hulls was the only one hurting Iowa & keeping Indiana in the game. I'm pretty certain by that point in the game that Fran & Co most likely stated at time-outs to make sure Hulls doesn't get a good look or let him have a shot. It was a mental error.

Jon, you mentioned the college game is a guard game which it many times is. You don't see teams just dropping it to the same post-player in college that you do in the pros. At least not since LSU & O'neill. Guys don't camp out on the post like they do in the NBA. Anyway, my point is that there is more motion offense in college than in the NBA. So, The 4 & 5's have to learn & switch to play solid D. They are going to get caught defending on the perimeter. This especially happens against teams like Wisconsin who move the ball around for 30 seconds a possession making the defense move & looking to create mismatches.

If going by your & Sioux's logic, any coach with half a brain could coach their team to create mismatches with the other teams big guys if those players aren't going to play switching D effectively.

Last edited:
Oh please, you guys, we're talking about basic fundamentals of basketball. You're saying a guy should get a get-out-of-jail-free card just because they're 6' 7" plus. We should not hold any players accountable on D who play the 5 or 4 spot? C'mon! We need to set a higher bar for Iowa basketball.

This was a situation where his frame or size didn't have any impact on the play, it was a mental decision he made. Indiana created a situation where Hulls & another player made the D switch & Brommer did a good job & was on Hulls. He had him face up at the 3 pt arc. Then for some reason he decided to leave & all I saw was the 20 on his back heading for the wing & Hulls saw that he left him, set his feet & sunk another 3.

This was well into the 2nd half & Hulls was the only one hurting Iowa & keeping Indiana in the game. I'm pretty certain by that point in the game that Fran & Co most likely stated at time-outs to make sure Hulls doesn't get a good look or let him have a shot. It was a mental error.

Jon, you mentioned the college game is a guard game which it many times is. You don't see teams just dropping it to the same post-player in college that you do in the pros. At least not since LSU & O'neill. Guys don't camp out on the post like they do in the NBA. Anyway, my point is that there is more motion offense in college than in the NBA. So, The 4 & 5's have to learn & switch to play solid D. They are going to get caught defending on the perimeter. This especially happens against teams like Wisconsin who move the ball around for 30 seconds a possession making the defense move & looking to create mismatches.

If going by your & Sioux's logic, any coach with half a brain could coach their team to create mismatches with the other teams big guys if those players aren't going to play switching D effectively.

I think you are describing a time where Brommer hedged on a ball-screen. Brommer is consistently terrible at hedging, which Fran seems to like his big man to do. He often over-hedges and picks up a foul on the guard, or does what you are describing which is quickly hedge then run away like a bat-out-hell for without giving time for the guard to recover.

Latest posts