Brian isn't going anywhere

Alright. We are all disappointed, but let's not pretend that Iowa football is in dire straights. We won the West 2 years ago. Blew the West this past year, barely, but still won 8 games with a brutal schedule, rookie OL and a ridiculously unathletic QB.

Our defense will be salty again, our special teams are top notch, our offense will be better with a deeper and more veteran line, and we are 100% upgrading at the most important position on the field. As I have posted elsewhere, maybe trying to install a new system and OC is not the best move this year given the returning talent and soft schedule. I am not saying that BF does not deserve to be fired, but I can also see a logic in not firing him right now when the team is set up to have a potentially special season.

As for Cade and why he accepted? Please. He was handed the starting job at a Top 25 school that has the lowest offensive expectations for success in the country. Who else at Iowa's level was going to hand him the job from the day he signed and where else is there more upside room for improvement on offense? The kid could not be walking into a better situation. If he throws 200 yards, scores two tds, and no INTs a game, we might build him a statue.

Alright. We are all disappointed, but let's not pretend that Iowa football is in dire straights. We won the West 2 years ago. Blew the West this past year, barely, but still won 8 games with a brutal schedule, rookie OL and a ridiculously unathletic QB.

Our defense will be salty again, our special teams are top notch, our offense will be better with a deeper and more veteran line, and we are 100% upgrading at the most important position on the field. As I have posted elsewhere, maybe trying to install a new system and OC is not the best move this year given the returning talent and soft schedule. I am not saying that BF does not deserve to be fired, but I can also see a logic in not firing him right now when the team is set up to have a potentially special season.

As for Cade and why he accepted? Please. He was handed the starting job at a Top 25 school that has the lowest offensive expectations for success in the country. Who else at Iowa's level was going to hand him the job from the day he signed and where else is there more upside room for improvement on offense? The kid could not be walking into a better situation. If he throws 200 yards, scores two tds, and no INTs a game, we might build him a statue.
Good stuff, North. To be clear, I am really sad and disappointed that KF didn’t institute some changes. There were some pretty fair options.

Well that stinks. If Brian does a big turnaround we might be number 100 offense nationally ranked if the Hawks offense improves more under Brian than it ever has in his history of coaching. Yikes. It doesn't have to suck, our offense, but it has and it will. There is zero emperical evidence that this will change any significant amount, and no reason to believe it will. Other than the hope of a homer fan, which I am. Not feeling it though, sorry.

Good stuff, North. To be clear, I am really sad and disappointed that KF didn’t institute some changes. There were some pretty fair options.
I am too. I thought there were some tweaks that could be made that would not upset the applecart too much. Shift BF's focus to the OL and run game and promote the analyst to QB coach and passing game. I know someone would need to be let go there, but BF is not the only coach who is underperforming on the offense. Standing pat seems like it is antithetical to an honest review of the situation, but that also doesn't mean there was not a solution here for change short of KF having to can his oldest son, which he was not going to do.

I guess we will find out if KF's instincts remain acute.

Both Brian and the offense as a whole half to feel the same way. They know they sucked last year. but, with an infusion of targeted talent and more experience, they have a shot at being better. Hell, they really can't be much worse. But, confidence and momentum are a weird thing. If you are Oklahoma and your offense has 350 yards and scores 21 points, you probably feel shitty. If Iowa starts to do that, given where it has been, the offense would be thrilled and may build some confidence and momentum.

But, as we have seen with Nebbie the last few years, if you don't get off the mat quickly, you may just stay on the mat. We need a fast start.

We'll see what season ticket sales do.

Seriously it’s fucking Iowa. There is nothing else to do in the fall. Some like watching the punter regardless of the offense. Some like just taking the kids to the game to enjoy a family outing together (this excuse I get, about the best reason), some are hopeless romantics (you know the fat ugly chicks that are still day dreaming about Prince Charming showing up at their door), some are die hearts suffering through sickening nepotism (this would be my likely group although if I was living in Iowa I would enjoy being there with my kids so I get Fryowa’s thought process). Some enjoy the band at halftime and the concession stands.

I think if there was a successful professional team of a major sport in Iowa I think you would see a significant drop in interest in Iowa Football.

Even though it boils my blood to know that Brian is returning, I do think if the Michigan QB can avoid injuries that the offense will be much better this year. SERIOUSLY??? How could it not be??? So that buys Brian time before we go back to Brian’s recruits and everyone has blood in their eyes again.

Both Brian and the offense as a whole half to feel the same way. They know they sucked last year. but, with an infusion of targeted talent and more experience, they have a shot at being better. Hell, they really can't be much worse. But, confidence and momentum are a weird thing. If you are Oklahoma and your offense has 350 yards and scores 21 points, you probably feel shitty. If Iowa starts to do that, given where it has been, the offense would be thrilled and may build some confidence and momentum.

But, as we have seen with Nebbie the last few years, if you don't get off the mat quickly, you may just stay on the mat. We need a fast start.
First off, I really appreciate your posts. Secondly, I agree that in modern day college football, fortunes can change very quickly for programs. Nothing is a given. IF Iowa can reasonably upgrade on offense and have an average offense that scores 21 points or a little more per game, they will have a great year. If not, who knows.

I was really proud of how they fought back after a couple of terrible losses last year. It took some grit to not completely "tank" the season. The Nebby loss was totally disappointing, but losing QB1 and arguably the best CB against a great receive were huge in that game. They also came to play in the bowl game and shut out Kentucky. That still matters, in my opinion.

I hope Iowa can start fast next year. There is a LOT of negativity in the Iowa fan base (for good reason).

With Iowa's incredible defense and special teams, 21 ppg would be awesome.

Seriously it’s fucking Iowa. There is nothing else to do in the fall. Some like watching the punter regardless of the offense. Some like just taking the kids to the game to enjoy a family outing together (this excuse I get, about the best reason), some are hopeless romantics (you know the fat ugly chicks that are still day dreaming about Prince Charming showing up at their door), some are die hearts suffering through sickening nepotism (this would be my likely group although if I was living in Iowa I would enjoy being there with my kids so I get Fryowa’s thought process). Some enjoy the band at halftime and the concession stands.

I think if there was a successful professional team of a major sport in Iowa I think you would see a significant drop in interest in Iowa Football.

Even though it boils my blood to know that Brian is returning, I do think if the Michigan QB can avoid injuries that the offense will be much better this year. SERIOUSLY??? How could it not be??? So that buys Brian time before we go back to Brian’s recruits and everyone has blood in their eyes again.
Great points. If this team (nepotism, hx of some toxicity in the program leadership, and a miserable offense), was in most any other state, no one would go to the games. People in Iowa often don't appreciate that. It's part of what I love about Iowa (loyalty) but there isn't a lot to do in Iowa in the fall. It's a cultural phenomenon (which I love).

I currently live in LA and went to a UCLA game last year. The rose bowl was lovely, the weather was ideal, UCLA was good (QB was amazing to watch), and yet there were a lot of empty seats and fans were barely aware plays were happening. It's different when people have other things they can do if they so choose.

Having said that, I may very well renew my season tickets and go to a couple of games at Kinnick this year, because it's special for me (grew up with it). That certainly ain't true if you are from a high population state with lots of entertainment and sports options (and nature options).

Great points. If this team (nepotism, hx of some toxicity in the program leadership, and a miserable offense), was in most any other state, no one would go to the games. People in Iowa often don't appreciate that. It's part of what I love about Iowa (loyalty) but there isn't a lot to do in Iowa in the fall. It's a cultural phenomenon (which I love).

I currently live in LA and went to a UCLA game last year. The rose bowl was lovely, the weather was ideal, UCLA was good (QB was amazing to watch), and yet there were a lot of empty seats and fans were barely aware plays were happening. It's different when people have other things they can do if they so choose.

Having said that, I may very well renew my season tickets and go to a couple of games at Kinnick this year, because it's special for me (grew up with it). That certainly ain't true if you are from a high population state with lots of entertainment and sports options (and nature options).
While there is no professional sports option in Iowa, and to some having one has more of a romantic value than nearby options, I would like to point out the nearby options. In my little corner of southwest Wisconsin near the Mississippi River it is a three hour drive to one pro football city, a four hour drive to another, a five hour drive to another, a six hour drive to two others (Indianapolis and Kansas City)

Not a bad choice of options. We can be to Chicago quicker than most people west of Des Moines can be to Iowa City

Where we live the killer is the Twin Cities area. Our closest access to interstates going up that way depending on which way you go is Rochester, LaCrosse, or Black River Falls Wisconsin. But it's a lot of old fashioned two lane roads and those yellow triangle No Passing Zone signs to reach an interstate.

You're absolutely right. The motivations for folks spending their hard earned $ to go to games all fall long vary in lots of ways. However if my memory serves me right I believe Iowa lowered some ticket prices and when's the last time they ever did that? I think they anticipate not selling out every game next yr now. To what extent is anyone's guess and I'll be curious to know how it ends up playing out. But this whole BF situation with the offense having played like crap will keep some die hards away just a matter of how many

Basicly they're saying: Its the talent stupid.

Its not the recruiting, retention and devleopment of the OLIne...not really anyway.

Seemed more like an exercise in rationalization rather than optimization

Last edited:
I was going to say that yeah, it's the middle of nowhere. However, even living around the Faiirbank/Oelwein metroplex you're not all that far away from the big city action, and have decent routes to get to the Cities or Chicago for example.

You're absolutely right. The motivations for folks spending their hard earned $ to go to games all fall long vary in lots of ways. However if my memory serves me right I believe Iowa lowered some ticket prices and when's the last time they ever did that? I think they anticipate not selling out every game next yr now. To what extent is anyone's guess and I'll be curious to know how it ends up playing out. But this whole BF situation with the offense having played like crap will keep some die hards away just a matter of how many

Yes, there is a reason they lowered the ticket prices 2 wks before this presser. They were greasing the fans to take less of a hit.

"Do you think he has time when game planning for the next opponent or when Brian goes through the play sheet to stop and think..."
Let's not pretend KF is above pettiness, even during games. "We decided to leave the timeouts & take the trophy" comes to mind.

Nepotism is no bueno, this much I have learned.

Wonder if Brian keeps his job if we are halfway into season as a 125 position ranking?

What about a 130 position again at end of season? Does this ever end?

We have released folks here at Iowa before. It's not a new thing.

It's not a Senate position here is it?

Wonder if Brian keeps his job if we are halfway into season as a 125 position ranking?

Does this ever end? Uhhhh, no.
Not until there's a different HC.

Lol. If there is any university that can be viewed as a senate seat for coaches, IT'S IOWA!

I'm a little baffled why there's so much optimism about Iowa's offense next year.
There are certainly no difference-makers arriving to bail out the O-line, and we saw little to no progress from that group over the course of last year, even tho by the end of the season many of the 1st-time starters had 13 games under their belts. Why would we expect anything different during games 14-16?
We lost one of our two best WRs, with no new WRs arriving expected to make a difference.
We lost the #2 and #3 RBs -- granted, probably not that hard to replace, but still.
We lost our best TE. Yes, a couple decent ones return, but none an All-American like the departed.
Does anyone think QB McNamara, coming off major knee surgery, is going to be especially mobile? I don't.
At best, I see largely a replay of the 2022 season.