Brian Ferentz Schematic Advantage

To state the obvious, B. Ferentz is an unproven commodity at offensive coordinator. He's a few levels up from where he otherwise would be because of K. Ferentz. B. Ferentz is well versed in his offensive line and tight end duties. In a normal set of circumstances B.F. would be breaking in at OC at a well run MAC or MVC program or something on that level.

Given that, Brian Ferentz may well turn out to be a better choice than Greg Davis at OC, and may also complement his fathers way of doing things better than many other choices for coordinator. Whether that is an over all plus, remains to be seen.

One thing for sure,our QB recruiting has improved because we run a scheme that teaches kids to be NFL qbs and have a recent track record of putting them in the pros

Does B. Ferentz give us a decided schematic advantage?

No. That would require vastly more front butt.

rn_u_charlieweis3_ms_400.jpg

I think people are too hard on his first year. The minute you try to explain the pretty significant challenges (losing two senior OT's), people make the claim that it shouldn't matter, which is fascinating. Throw in a first year QB, and a first year laden wide receiver group, well, I think he did pretty damn well scheming to get people open. Losing the two OTs is just a killer in my opinion...imagine going through spring and fall camp with two SRs, then putting freshman in and the growing pains that come with learning on the job early in the season...that's a tough gig in the B10. You don't think MSU, NW, and others schemed to attack us on the edge with stunts and outside pressure. Watch the tape.

He's obviously a bright dude because he used his weapons pretty effectively despite the challenges upfront. Fant leading the country in TDs for a tight end is impressive...and he found ways to get the ball to him. Stanley throwing 26 TDs as a first year starter...second most in school history.

People are down on him because of the Wisconsin and Purdue games...and running into 8 man fronts too often. It certainly wasn't fun to watch. I think Brian's got a much more aggressive offensive mind and wants to exploit teams that stack the box by throwing in that situation. This issue last year, was that he couldn't protect his QB...so you can't throw it all the time...that's a losing formula too. With the challenges he faced last year...I think we are underestimating just how good his performance was.

I like where the offense is going...he showed it can be unpredictable...and varied. We went back to getting the TEs down the seams...used Fant in deep routes. The big challenge is we just didn't have a difference maker at WR.

Let's see how he does this coming year if he can keep his OL somewhat healthy. I, for one, am really looking forward to watching this team offensively.

I think people are too hard on his first year. The minute you try to explain the pretty significant challenges (losing two senior OT's), people make the claim that it shouldn't matter, which is fascinating. Throw in a first year QB, and a first year laden wide receiver group, well, I think he did pretty damn well scheming to get people open. Losing the two OTs is just a killer in my opinion...imagine going through spring and fall camp with two SRs, then putting freshman in and the growing pains that come with learning on the job early in the season...that's a tough gig in the B10. You don't think MSU, NW, and others schemed to attack us on the edge with stunts and outside pressure. Watch the tape.

He's obviously a bright dude because he used his weapons pretty effectively despite the challenges upfront. Fant leading the country in TDs for a tight end is impressive...and he found ways to get the ball to him. Stanley throwing 26 TDs as a first year starter...second most in school history.

People are down on him because of the Wisconsin and Purdue games...and running into 8 man fronts too often. It certainly wasn't fun to watch. I think Brian's got a much more aggressive offensive mind and wants to exploit teams that stack the box by throwing in that situation. This issue last year, was that he couldn't protect his QB...so you can't throw it all the time...that's a losing formula too. With the challenges he faced last year...I think we are underestimating just how good his performance was.

I like where the offense is going...he showed it can be unpredictable...and varied. We went back to getting the TEs down the seams...used Fant in deep routes. The big challenge is we just didn't have a difference maker at WR.

Let's see how he does this coming year if he can keep his OL somewhat healthy. I, for one, am really looking forward to watching this team offensively.
giphy.gif

Well, you can't make ass soup without some ass in there. Thanks Sirius. There's a difference between an excuse and an explanation. Through the years I've heard so many football experts talk about this team is playing without their senior tackle, which is a huge loss and tips the scales...blah, blah, blah. However, when Iowa loses two senior OTs, the morons come out o'plenty talking about "excuses" and "accepting mediocrity".

The truth of the matter is whether you want to accept it or not, losing two senior offensive tackles is going to hinder you offensively. You can blame recruiting that freshmen replaced them...but I think you have to give the offensive coordinator the benefit of the doubt that it impacted the play calling knowing he had an inexperience on the edges.

Let's see how he does this year. I think you will be eating crow on whether Brian is deserving of the job.

Last edited:
To state the obvious, B. Ferentz is an unproven commodity at offensive coordinator. He's a few levels up from where he otherwise would be because of K. Ferentz. B. Ferentz is well versed in his offensive line and tight end duties. In a normal set of circumstances B.F. would be breaking in at OC at a well run MAC or MVC program or something on that level.

Given that, Brian Ferentz may well turn out to be a better choice than Greg Davis at OC, and may also complement his fathers way of doing things better than many other choices for coordinator. Whether that is an over all plus, remains to be seen.

So you think him being an offensive coordinator at Drake is better preparation than spending three years working in the offensive game planning room of the New England Patriots, and four years as the OL coach at the University of Iowa. Ummm...Ok.

The reality is the guy spent 7 years prepping for this job. Him being promoted to offensive coordinator at this stage in his career isn't extraordinary.

So you think him being an offensive coordinator at Drake is better preparation than spending three years working in the offensive game planning room of the New England Patriots, and four years as the OL coach at the University of Iowa. Ummm...Ok.

The reality is the guy spent 7 years prepping for this job. Him being promoted to offensive coordinator at this stage in his career isn't extraordinary.

A little early. The main issue is the ID of the guy who promoted him.

If it wasnt his dad.

Sorry but I cant wrap my mind around 62 points followed by 66 yards.

It's really too bad other teams don't experience injuries. Does God hate Iowa?

I think the injuries have to do with:

Conditioning...specifically weights and how its done.

Schematic...Smash mouth football with little creativity. Casualties are directly correlated with enemy contact.

Some poor fundamentals such as A Robs last concussion. Stanzi delivered a screen where he had turn his back completely stopped in front of charging linebackers.

Lack of depth makes injuries more noticeable. As Dino Babers put it. Most teams including FCS can put a cometive full team on the field. Its when inuries start to happen and back ups come in that the difference in quality adds up.

Since KF rarely has a safe margin of victory the backups dont get as much experience. I do believe the quest for smashmouth execution football leads to lesser 2nd teamers practicing with 1st team.

It's really too bad other teams don't experience injuries. Does God hate Iowa?

No...they do have injuries, but there is a level of severity also...so you believe performance improves and those teams weren't impacted by those injuries? OSU went three years without a starter losing a start on the offensive line...any wonder they were so good offensively during that time? I'm saying it's highly unusual for a team with an experienced OL, noted to be the strength of the team coming into the year, to lose two senior offensive tackles. It's a serious level of adversity that a first year offensive coordinator had to deal with and it should be noted when looking at team performance. That being said, he coached a QB to the second most TDs in school history. His TE led the country in TD receptions. They very easily could have won 10 games...with a break here and there. They were in every game, save Wisconsin.

It was only one year, but I think he's going to be really freaking good at the OC job. I also think, if he wants, he will be the next head coach at Iowa. We will all find out.

If it wasnt his dad.

Sorry but I cant wrap my mind around 62 points followed by 66 yards.

Wisconsin attacked the line of scrimmage. OSU was arrogant and read all the press clippings about their advantage on the DL against our offensive line. If you bring four with limited stunts and refuse to blitz, our OL was pretty solid. If you are bringing 5 or 6 with some speed...we were in deep shit last year. If you watch MSU, NW, Purdue...they were all bringing pressure on 2nd and 3rd and long. Wisconsin just simply attacked the line of scrimmage damn near every play with speed...pressure...pressure...pressure. We couldn't block their four LBs or DEs whatever you want to call them.

That was a tough schedule last year guys. Top ten for sure, and I've seen it ranked as low as the 5th or 6th toughest in college football. Playing on the road at Wisconsin is always tough...playing them after playing OSU and winning big like that added some degree of difficulty.

No not Drake. Coaches use places like Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, Toledo, NDSU, Northern Iowa, Youngstown State, Wyoming to climb the coaching all the time. Just to name a few in the general area. And no, most college programs are not run like NFL training programs, they have to adjust to the resources available. Kirk coached in Maine.

Last edited:

Latest posts