Brian Ferentz Schematic Advantage

just to put a fine point on how we use our WR's and they don't see the field until they can block, go to the 1:42 mark of this video. watch it and the replay. what you'll see is #5 MR running full speed away from the ball carrier because he's guarding a WR then went on a fly route on a running play. You see, you don't HAVE to have your WR's block on every play. getting the db to turn his back to the LOS and run himself out of the play is just as effective.

just to put a fine point on how we use our WR's and they don't see the field until they can block, go to the 1:42 mark of this video. watch it and the replay. what you'll see is #5 MR running full speed away from the ball carrier because he's guarding a WR then went on a fly route on a running play. You see, you don't HAVE to have your WR's block on every play. getting the db to turn his back to the LOS and run himself out of the play is just as effective.

And what you will find here is exactly why it must be taught and be able to be executed.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...wide-receivers-who-block-larry-fitzgerald/amp

And what you will find here is exactly why it must be taught and be able to be executed.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...wide-receivers-who-block-larry-fitzgerald/amp

so, you know, i didn't say they shouldn't be required to block at all. i am saying that not letting them see the field until they are relative to anthony munoz can waste talent. please point out where i said no blocking should be required of wr's.

but for 20 years, we've had (presumably) talented wr's on the side lines until they can effectively block. my point is, that should keep them on the bench. there are ways to effect the same result until they learn.

so, you know, i didn't say they shouldn't be required to block at all. i am saying that not letting them see the field until they are relative to anthony munoz can waste talent. please point out where i said no blocking should be required of wr's.

but for 20 years, we've had (presumably) talented wr's on the side lines until they can effectively block. my point is, that should keep them on the bench. there are ways to effect the same result until they learn.
Oh I agree that people can learn on the fly. But all in all if you suck at blocking, you had not ever miss a catch. (Exaggerating)
Do you play a guy who blocks well 65% of the time and catches 65% or a guy who blocks well 25% of the time and catches 75% of the time??
I think we are going to be surprised this year, because I think our wr's have taken it upon themselves to maximize their potential in every aspect of the game.
If our QBs can hit our speedsters in stride, look out.
Brandon should be able to win the jump ball and that back shoulder pass more often than not. One on one a DB is going to have to execute almost perfect to win that battle and bring him down.
His yards after the catch are something to watch in the coming years.

Um.....

This is an interesting conversation to have after burning the red shirt on three freshman wide receivers. So which wide receiver was being held back until he learned to block? Either I'm missing something or watching the wrong team.

Um.....

This is an interesting conversation to have after burning the red shirt on three freshman wide receivers. So which wide receiver was being held back until he learned to block? Either I'm missing something or watching the wrong team.
It's just more off season humor.

Sounds like a conversation left over from the Stross thread. Hey Stross sucks, how come we aren't playing the freshman. Um... I think the freshmen are due to have their court date set. Oh ya, I forgot. To bad the rest of them suck.

This idea that Iowa receivers cannot see the field until they are expert blockers is ridiculous. Do you think 160 lb Max Cooper or Matt Vandenberg were great blockers as true freshmen?

What you need to do to get on the field is:
  1. know your assignment
  2. be coachable
  3. be willing to try to block someone
And sure, sometimes you can run a defender off if they are in a certain D. But if you try to run off a zone defender with his eyes in the backfield, you are going to have a pretty ticked off ball-carrier when you get back to the huddle. The coaches teach them when that will work and when it won't, but if are in a situation where it won't, you better know what you are supposed to do and be willing to do it.

I'd like to see B. Ferentz in a cage match with other O-Coordinators. Who would he lose to? He could enter the arena like Vader.

This idea that Iowa receivers cannot see the field until they are expert blockers is ridiculous. Do you think 160 lb Max Cooper or Matt Vandenberg were great blockers as true freshmen?

What you need to do to get on the field is:
  1. know your assignment
  2. be coachable
  3. be willing to try to block someone
And sure, sometimes you can run a defender off if they are in a certain D. But if you try to run off a zone defender with his eyes in the backfield, you are going to have a pretty ticked off ball-carrier when you get back to the huddle. The coaches teach them when that will work and when it won't, but if are in a situation where it won't, you better know what you are supposed to do and be willing to do it.

ask david bell how ridiculous it is. it is established wr's have to be able to block in order to get PT at Iowa.

ask david bell how ridiculous it is. it is established wr's have to be able to block in order to get PT at Iowa.

No, it is established that WRs have not been utilized prominently since KOK left. That is what Bell commented upon. That fact does necessarily mean that WRs cannot get on the field unless they are excellent blockers, we have enough evidence to the contrary in recent years to know that is not true.

WRs need to know their assignment and be willing to block when called upon. As a WR if you cannot handle those 2 things, you don't deserve to be on the field no matter your receiving skills.

Meh.
We are better at ol and wr then last year.
It's not a stretch of the imagination to think we shouldn't be able to mix some more 11 personnel grouping in.
Full on spread??? Not going to happen.
You still have to be able to set the tempo.
The trick is if you are struggling to, can you adapt?

Something occurred to me.
With the new coaches and maybe a few twists on "Iowa football", there is an excitement in the air.
At first I thought it was because of the off season. Then I thought it was because of the talent returning for year #2 and the talent coming in. Or possibly because of the DL.
Then I thought it was because of the times we absolutely schooled some teams last year.
Maybe it is those. Maybe it's a combo of all them.
However we never gave much credit to the fact that maybe we are a little excited about this coaching staff as a unit.
I get as fans we have become cautious with our optimism. Even if justified. But something is different this year.
Maybe the sum of the parts, really do equal the whole.
Because face it, we could of had the most elite wr's in the nation and GD would not have used them correctly.
I'm still cautious. But today I am a little more optimistic in the parts of the whole.
A different vibe is coming out of IC, and it's not we are little ole Iowa.

Last edited:
WRs need to know their assignment and be willing to block when called upon. As a WR if you cannot handle those 2 things, you don't deserve to be on the field no matter your receiving skills.

Let me get this straight. A clone of Randy Moss walks through the door and has no idea how to block as a freshman. You don't want that guy on the field on 3rd and 17?