Brian Ferentz Schematic Advantage

You're not being honest. There was talk at the beginning of the season that Jackson was going to start at some point in the season eventually and his play was obviously a step up over Boone once we saw him play.
The point is that guys like you always have excuses for poor coaching, specifically for the Ferentz family. If we only win 7 or 8 games this year, I'm sure there will be a list of new excuses, despite the schedule being a piece of cake.

You are a one trick pony, aren't you. Jackson was slated to get some playing time...usually he would be worked in and get a few series to find out if he could handle it and have him be coached up through the limited time he would see in the actual game. Here is where you are being dishonest...where do you think Meyer goes when Jackson comes in at left tackle? Left guard right...Meyer was one of the top 5 and he was going to play guard if Jackson was in the game.

Your unrelenting ability to blame coaching when unexpected adversity appears is impressive. It's kind of like 2004 when we ended up with Sam Brownlee at tailback, through a series of injuries at RB. I just thought they could have coached Sam up a bit more, right? Injuries happen...but when you lose two offensive tackles like that, for the season, it's unusual...and hard to overcome. The other team notices you know, right...and game plans to attack inexperience. I'd be willing to bet you that no team in the FBS lost two senior offensive tackles to season ending injuries early in the year. It's rare is the point and one hell of an obstacle to overcome. I know...just another excuse.

You can't tell these people anything.
I hear you. New wr (and coach) I'm going to play press all day everyday until they prove they can beat me. New ol ( and coach) I'm going to give them multiple looks and test them physically.
New qb, I'm going to try and pressure him (probably through said inexperienced ol) and try to rattle him.
When you think about it it's almost surprising BF could call a game or that team with so much youth could put the beat down like they did in a few games. I'm not saying anything about winning more games, I'm just saying with all that going on, tell me of another team that just walloped several teams?

You can't tell these people anything.
I hear you. New wr (and coach) I'm going to play press all day everyday until they prove they can beat me. New ol ( and coach) I'm going to give them multiple looks and test them physically.
New qb, I'm going to try and pressure him (probably through said inexperienced ol) and try to rattle him.
When you think about it it's almost surprising BF could call a game or that team with so much youth could put the beat down like they did in a few games. I'm not saying anything about winning more games, I'm just saying with all that going on, tell me of another team that just walloped several teams?

Yeah...there is an argument that you could say the coaching staff overachieved with all the changes going on and inexperience. The last time we had an offensive coordinator change was 2012, we were 4-8. Oh, and that year two starting OL went down with injuries for the rest of the season in game seven when the team was 4-2 and coming off a win at MSU...and they never won again. The parallels to 2012 are pretty striking. So if you look at last year through that lens...do you think the coaching staff underachieved? I don't, but I'm not a anti-ferenzist like Sirius.

Yeah...there is an argument that you could say the coaching staff overachieved with all the changes going on and inexperience. The last time we had an offensive coordinator change was 2012, we were 4-8. Oh, and that year two starting OL went down with injuries for the rest of the season in game seven when the team was 4-2 and coming off a win at MSU...and they never won again. The parallels to 2012 are pretty striking. So if you look at last year through that lens...do you think the coaching staff underachieved? I don't, but I'm not a anti-ferenzist like Sirius.

I just think with everything from new coaches to playing so many new players and having what the 4th hardest schedule in the nation we did ok.
Did we do great? Meh. Like you said if one or two things would have bounced different and we won two more. People would be freaking out. But even with out it sure turned some heads from college programs to nfl ones.
That's why I say, this team already has some NFL guys going wtf. They have thier attention a little, what they do with that?? We are going to find out.

I think people are too hard on his first year. The minute you try to explain the pretty significant challenges (losing two senior OT's), people make the claim that it shouldn't matter, which is fascinating. Throw in a first year QB, and a first year laden wide receiver group, well, I think he did pretty damn well scheming to get people open. Losing the two OTs is just a killer in my opinion...imagine going through spring and fall camp with two SRs, then putting freshman in and the growing pains that come with learning on the job early in the season...that's a tough gig in the B10. You don't think MSU, NW, and others schemed to attack us on the edge with stunts and outside pressure. Watch the tape.

He's obviously a bright dude because he used his weapons pretty effectively despite the challenges upfront. Fant leading the country in TDs for a tight end is impressive...and he found ways to get the ball to him. Stanley throwing 26 TDs as a first year starter...second most in school history.

People are down on him because of the Wisconsin and Purdue games...and running into 8 man fronts too often. It certainly wasn't fun to watch. I think Brian's got a much more aggressive offensive mind and wants to exploit teams that stack the box by throwing in that situation. This issue last year, was that he couldn't protect his QB...so you can't throw it all the time...that's a losing formula too. With the challenges he faced last year...I think we are underestimating just how good his performance was.

I like where the offense is going...he showed it can be unpredictable...and varied. We went back to getting the TEs down the seams...used Fant in deep routes. The big challenge is we just didn't have a difference maker at WR.

Let's see how he does this coming year if he can keep his OL somewhat healthy. I, for one, am really looking forward to watching this team offensively.
He did and for the first time I can remember just this side of forever we ran some formations that totally left the defense out of position and it led to easy easy scores. I hate to say it but our punting game is our greatest deficit coming in to the season. It was the worst in the conference I believe

Since we were going to get BF regardless (once he came back to Iowa it was a foregone conclusion) we have to give him 3 years to see how he progresses. Now 116th in Total Offense is very Greg Davisesque I don't think a KOK OR GD offense woulda put up 50 against any Ohio State team plus we had a first year starter at QB. So, we should see a fair bit of improvement with a weak schedule and a returning starter at QB.

Since we were going to get BF regardless (once he came back to Iowa it was a foregone conclusion) we have to give him 3 years to see how he progresses. Now 116th in Total Offense is very Greg Davisesque I don't think a KOK OR GD offense woulda put up 50 against any Ohio State team plus we had a first year starter at QB. So, we should see a fair bit of improvement with a weak schedule and a returning starter at QB.
Yeah we need a couple difference makers at wr and to run the dang ball better. That's on the ol and everyone's blocking because Wadley was not the problem.
Solve those two things and we should be able to run with about anyone. That gives our lb's a little room to grow and keeps our dl rotation fresh and hungry.
Our run game was a pile of **** last year. You don't win championships being 95th in yards per game.
It would have been worse if we hadn't of tore up Nebraska. I mean for heaven sakes Marshall Temple and North Texas had better averages than that!! I don't even want to get into everyone who had better avg than us, but it was bad!!!

You are a one trick pony, aren't you. Jackson was slated to get some playing time...usually he would be worked in and get a few series to find out if he could handle it and have him be coached up through the limited time he would see in the actual game. Here is where you are being dishonest...where do you think Meyer goes when Jackson comes in at left tackle? Left guard right...Meyer was one of the top 5 and he was going to play guard if Jackson was in the game.

Your unrelenting ability to blame coaching when unexpected adversity appears is impressive. It's kind of like 2004 when we ended up with Sam Brownlee at tailback, through a series of injuries at RB. I just thought they could have coached Sam up a bit more, right? Injuries happen...but when you lose two offensive tackles like that, for the season, it's unusual...and hard to overcome. The other team notices you know, right...and game plans to attack inexperience. I'd be willing to bet you that no team in the FBS lost two senior offensive tackles to season ending injuries early in the year. It's rare is the point and one hell of an obstacle to overcome. I know...just another excuse.
Exactly, it's almost like you're the head of the U's Excuse Dept. Keep up the good work, Sunshine.

Exactly, it's almost like you're the head of the U's Excuse Dept. Keep up the good work, Sunshine.
I forgot, when you don't have a solid argument to counter with...you simply restate your false premise. Where have I seen this before. As you say it over and over, it becomes real...to you. Are you going to start saying the player's injuries are fake? Fake injuries. Fake inexperience.

excuses1.jpg

I forgot, when you don't have a solid argument to counter with...you simply restate your false premise. Where have I seen this before. As you say it over and over, it becomes real...to you. Are you going to start saying the player's injuries are fake? Fake injuries. Fake inexperience.

It's when he answers with a meme that you KNOW his arguments are done. Multiple memes means he has crapped his actual pants.

I don't know about the Weisian "decided schematic advantage," but I think (or perhaps hope?) that this coming year is going to show us something. I just contributed some money to the Ferentz family coffers by purchasing a 3 game mini-pack (N Illinois, Wis, Nebraska). The Wisconsin game is the one I really wanted, I have a feeling that one is going to be nuts. @Fryowa , I know you have said we are all suckers for supporting this program and its rampant mediocrity, but I am loving the Kool-Aid. I really think they are going to building toward another special season very soon.

The Ferentz Hawkeyes are like that fishing hole where you never get skunked, so you know there is at least going to be something to look forward to. Often times it isn't that special, you mostly catch borderline keepers. But every now and again, just often enough to keep you coming back on the regular, you hook a lunker. I think that lunker season is lurking.

Woooo! Drink it up!

what the hell is it with this talk of excuses. We are just fans. Fans are not responsible for the Iowa football program. Its stupid to expect accountability, answers or get mad because someone is making excuses. Just stupid..

wow.

what the hell is it with this talk of excuses. We are just fans. Fans are not responsible for the Iowa football program. Its stupid to expect accountability, answers or get mad because someone is making excuses. Just stupid..

wow.
Relax, dude.

what happens when you have 4 wides? you have to guard them with 4 guys, right? Easley, ISM, MVB, Fant and throw in B. Smith. That's what could have been done last season. The point is to spread them out, take defenders out of the box and then you can tell where they're going to come from, if they bring it.

Not only that but split wadley out wide or in the slot, they have to guard him maybe even double him and Fant.

We should have done this a number of times each game to see how the opponent reacts, how they perform and cover, and to get variety into the offense. Split out wadley sometimes with Young or Butler in the backfield

Not only that but split wadley out wide or in the slot, they have to guard him maybe even double him and Fant.

We should have done this a number of times each game to see how the opponent reacts, how they perform and cover, and to get variety into the offense. Split out wadley sometimes with Young or Butler in the backfield

good point. spread 'em, see where the defensive strong side is and send AW that way to the flat. then its up to your qb to beat the 11th defender. you make it a qb game. stanley could have handled that last season.

instead, we curled up into a little ball and waited for them to send 3 guys past one of our tackles. anythony munoz couldn't block 3 damn guys at the same time, for crying out loud. that WUs game really pissed me off. can anyone tell?

wow.

Who knew?

Latest posts