Bowlsby Vs. The ACC

Yeah, that was an oops. Sorry I grabbed the one comment you had without an ISU bash in it. Grumble grumble.

It's no secret that I'm a clone-hater Willie, we all have our reasons. Mine date back quite a few years...and are continually validated. So I love to see em struggle and sweat.

It's no secret that I'm a clone-hater Willie, we all have our reasons. Mine date back quite a few years...and are continually validated. So I love to see em struggle and sweat.

Except ISU really isn't in a position of sweatin' this one out unlike the first go around with realignment.

It has to crush Hawk fans dreams since ISU has yet to fall into the MAC or any lowly conference.

Except ISU really isn't in a position of sweatin' this one out unlike the first go around with realignment.

It has to crush Hawk fans dreams since ISU has yet to fall into the MAC or any lowly conference.

It would be amusing and somewhat fitting if that happened (water does eventually seek it's own level) but won't affect Iowa much one way of the other. "Dreams"? Hardly.

Though I understand that Clones do have dreams about Iowa. Or rather...about becoming an Iowa. And they are most definitely dreams.

We're the dominant program in the state...always have been, even in down years. That ain't about to change.

On College Football Live the other day,one of their announcers,Ed Something, said the way he sees it going is that out of all the chaos will be strong bb conferences like the Big East,having a different football league,where geography is unimportant...ie.Boise for football,but not bb. Travel to Boise for football only happens like every other year tops,so geography not nearly as important.

I could see the Big Ten,SEC,Big Twelve and Pac 12 emerging as the super four football leagues,with Boise to Pac 12 along with 3 others who are basically anywhere on the map,football only.

Then Big East and ACC are tough bb leagues with weird configurations of football schools to make out there schedules. Atlantic Ten probably gets divided to provide bb schools.

I think it is inevitable so I hope that the Big Ten ends up with ND,UNC,Md, and either Rutgers or UVa.

Those divisions would work as pods,with Iowa playing Minny,Wisky and Neb every year,and rotating among the rest. Not a huge fan of this but it is hard to see how the 4 team playoffs does not lead to 4 superleagues. If you wanted to make it a 16 team playoff,it easily could happen with each division winner playing within the league for the first couple of games to come up with the conference champ,then the semis between the SEC,Pac 12,Big 12 and Big Ten title holders and a title game of winners. It would kill the bowls,and would mean that Iowa would probably only rarely play in postseason,and fire their coach every 4 years,but some fans would be happy with that I guess....it would be their holy grail of a playoff.

Someone mentioned ND doesn't increase the B1G's footprint. I'd have to disagree with this. One word. Television. From a business perspective, the B1G's acquiring of PSU was huge, and in the future, financially, they need to keep looking east.

East helps Iowa the most IMO. East helps the B1G the most also. At some point, the B1G needs to think hard about non-conference opposition, and playing conference games all 13 weeks. Also needs to look at adding a football NC contender, as well as heading east.

On College Football Live the other day,one of their announcers,Ed Something, said the way he sees it going is that out of all the chaos will be strong bb conferences like the Big East,having a different football league,where geography is unimportant...ie.Boise for football,but not bb. Travel to Boise for football only happens like every other year tops,so geography not nearly as important.

I could see the Big Ten,SEC,Big Twelve and Pac 12 emerging as the super four football leagues,with Boise to Pac 12 along with 3 others who are basically anywhere on the map,football only.

Then Big East and ACC are tough bb leagues with weird configurations of football schools to make out there schedules. Atlantic Ten probably gets divided to provide bb schools.

I think it is inevitable so I hope that the Big Ten ends up with ND,UNC,Md, and either Rutgers or UVa.

Those divisions would work as pods,with Iowa playing Minny,Wisky and Neb every year,and rotating among the rest. Not a huge fan of this but it is hard to see how the 4 team playoffs does not lead to 4 superleagues. If you wanted to make it a 16 team playoff,it easily could happen with each division winner playing within the league for the first couple of games to come up with the conference champ,then the semis between the SEC,Pac 12,Big 12 and Big Ten title holders and a title game of winners. It would kill the bowls,and would mean that Iowa would probably only rarely play in postseason,and fire their coach every 4 years,but some fans would be happy with that I guess....it would be their holy grail of a playoff.
That all sounds awful.

I could easily see a big game of musical chairs happening in a conference expansion/reordering between B12 &P12 country...and ISU get left standing at the end. especially if the B12 wants to move East in a big way. Bowlsby may be thinking of building a new="Big Market=" version of the SEC: B12 South coupled with ACC South, with old B12 North left to hang out and dry.
=

Purging underperforming entities is generally a rational business move. Is there any precedent for a conference to expel a school?

Short of a significant negative event at ISI I don't see this happening.

THis would be a dream scenario i don't see it happening.

I could easily see a big game of musical chairs happening in a conference expansion/reordering between B12 & P12 country...and ISU get left standing at the end. especially if the B12 wants to move East in a big way.

Bowlsby may be thinking of building a new "Big Market" version of the SEC: B12 South coupled with ACC South, with old B12 North left to hang out and dry.

Is this for reals? Iowa State is not getting left out. And KU will survive even if its only on there basketball. Jebus get a grip here.

Is this for reals? Iowa State is not getting left out. And KU will survive even if its only on there basketball. Jebus get a grip here.

The President and AD at ISU need to get proactive with respect to a future conference realignment. It is a matter of time before Texas gets greedy again, or another team, or teams, get sick of them.

I'm not sure if you read how the penalty money from Nebraska and Colorado went down, but it amounted to bribery.

It might be a different scenario now, due to the upcoming change in the BCS, but the proactive part remains constant.

BTW, I'm not an ISU hater, I'm one of the few that understand two winning D1 programs helps everyone, and SOS for Iowa.

The President and AD at ISU need to get proactive with respect to a future conference realignment. It is a matter of time before Texas gets greedy again, or another team, or teams, get sick of them.

I'm not sure if you read how the penalty money from Nebraska and Colorado went down, but it amounted to bribery.

It might be a different scenario now, due to the upcoming change in the BCS, but the proactive part remains constant.

BTW, I'm not an ISU hater, I'm one of the few that understand two winning D1 programs helps everyone, and SOS for Iowa.

ISU really doesn't need to worry, they're out of the woods now. Also, ISU sucking is better for Iowa.

Bowlsby may be thinking of building a new "Big Market" version of the SEC: B12 South coupled with ACC South, with old B12 North left to hang out and dry.

I don't think the remaining members of the old Big 12 North will be left out to dry. I do think up to three of the current Big 12 members may leave in the next six years, I'd put them in this order; Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas.

Texas has the resources to go independent or they desire to move to the PAC 12. This will lead Oklahoma and Kansas to consider a PAC12 membership if offered. I believe the benefits, beyond athletic revenue, of being associated with the PAC12 will be the tipping point. There are more highly ranked research universities in the PAC 12.

If Bowlsby is the chess player people believe he is, then he has to have some contingency plans as part of any expansion. Obviously he has to go east for candidates and he needs to get to 14 or 16 teams if he can. FSU and Clemson are king pins, but Louisville is needed as well to go along with West Virginia and another team from the eastern time zone in proximity to the aforementioned. The U of Houston remains a good candidate to reach 15. If anybody exits the conference remains in tact.

Someone mentioned ND doesn't increase the B1G's footprint. I'd have to disagree with this. One word. Television. From a business perspective, the B1G's acquiring of PSU was huge, and in the future, financially, they need to keep looking east.

East helps Iowa the most IMO. East helps the B1G the most also. At some point, the B1G needs to think hard about non-conference opposition, and playing conference games all 13 weeks. Also needs to look at adding a football NC contender, as well as heading east.

ND increases reach, but not footprint. Footprint is about the physical presence of the university. That does not minimize the significance of ND's reach.

Well, this is all in the context of Bowlsby/B12 in contact with ACC members about expansion. If there is really some think going this way in terms of creating a 16 team superconference, I think then it is inevitable that there would be some thought and discussion about how to create the strongest, most profitable and practical conference of that size.

And let's face it. 80% (at least) of the B12's money and TV sets are coming from Texas & Oklahoma of the B12 South. Likewise, most of the ACC's money is coming from the stretch of states from Florida up through Georgia, the Carolinas, and Virginia. So it should be pretty freaking obvious to anyone not wearing ketchup and mustard sunglasses that at some point one of these football geniuses is going to come up with the idea that maybe the answer is to dissolve both the ACC and B12 and create a new, 16 team superconference from the biggest, most profitable, strongest market (read South all the way around) programs.

You got an East division starting in Florida, hitting Georgia and the Carolinas, and crawling all the way to Virginia. So that's FSU, Miami, Ga Tech, Clemson, NC, Duke, NC St, and Va Tech or West Viginia or whomever. Then you have Texas, TT, Oklahoma, Okie St. BU, and TCU in the West, and a couple teams to round that out to get to 8. Which teams would they need? Maybe the Kansas teams, as they border Oklahoma and have one top TV market. Maybe someone else not even currently in the B12? Dissolving the conference might be alot simpler than dealing with tossing a few teams out.

If you were putting together a 16 team conference centered around a Texas Division and a Florida/Southeast division, and had all 24ish(?) teams of the B12 and ACC to choose from, who would you (impartially) choose?

I feel like this entire thread is a re-post from two years ago. Superconferences were supposedly inevitable then, and the Big Ten was going to march across the nation, gobbling up Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina in its path. These sorts of ridiculous alignments didn't make any sense then, and they don't make any sense now. Yawn.

I feel like this entire thread is a re-post from two years ago. Superconferences were supposedly inevitable then, and the Big Ten was going to march across the nation, gobbling up Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina in its path. These sorts of ridiculous alignments didn't make any sense then, and they don't make any sense now. Yawn.

I'd take a bet that realignments, ridicules or not, will be coming within 5 years.

Super conferences? I think eventually.

Notre Dame and some others are holding on tho a dream. ND will be in the B1G, sooner rather than later.

What people didn't realize was that a lot of stuff has been worked out and is in motion. These shifts are so dramatic, incredible maneuvering had to happen. The most important part of all this was the BCS contract which had to wait until 2014. No way to get around that. So all the people who thought because conference realignment wasn't complete by now that it wasn't happening were just not realistic.

Florida State and Clemson won't leave the ACC for the Big 12. Academics are too important to the school presidents. They won't leave Duke, Wake Forest, and Maryland for Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. From an athletic standpoint, everyone may love it, but academically it's a bad move.