Bohannon crow anyone?

It can make your stats look better than the first 39 minutes were. This is the situational concept I have discussed previously. If Iowa is only leading OSU by 5 points in the final minute, then maybe Jordan (or someone else) gets fouled, makes FTs, and can make an average game offensively look better. Winston had a good game (3 assists, 3 turnovers 3-5 shooting) that turned out much better by making 5-6 FTs in the last 46 seconds of the game.

Sounds like the kid is clutch.

Sounds like the kid is clutch.

Sounds like he was struggling a bit and the team was looking for him to be more involved. Good for him that he has so far.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2017/01/against_indiana_and_moving_for.html

In league play, Winston has been met by bigger guards who have given him problems. He hasn't been as effective and has been prone to some (understandable) freshman mistakes on both ends.

"There's just a process he has to work through and some of it is defending," Izzo said.

Sounds like he was struggling a bit and the team was looking for him to be more involved. Good for him that he has so far.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2017/01/against_indiana_and_moving_for.html

In league play, Winston has been met by bigger guards who have given him problems. He hasn't been as effective and has been prone to some (understandable) freshman mistakes on both ends.

"There's just a process he has to work through and some of it is defending," Izzo said.

Just the difference in standards. Winston has been much better than Bohannon all year and Dean pointed out fans were very upset with his play while we have people saying Bohannon has been a star this year.

I bet Jbo hopes that other teams think he is as bad as some Iowa fans do. Then they would never guard him lol.

I've never met or heard of an Iowa fan that thinks he sucks. Even on the message boards there isn't a single Iowa fan talking about him sucking.

Just the difference in standards. Winston has been much better than Bohannon all year and Dean pointed out fans were very upset with his play while we have people saying Bohannon has been a star this year.

I agree there may be a difference in standards. I don't know recruiting much at all, but would that be the difference in the recruiting rankings of these 2 players? Sorry, I am out of my depth here. :)

When interpreting stats, do you expect the standards to be the same for Anthony Davis (#1 pick in the draft) and Meyers Leonard (#11 in that same draft)? Or, even at Iowa, do you expect the same from Tyler Cook and Cordell Pemsl (I believe their recruiting rankings were not the same). :)

I agree there may be a difference in standards. I don't know recruiting much at all, but would that be the difference in the recruiting rankings of these 2 players? Sorry, I am out of my depth here. :)

When interpreting stats, do you expect the standards to be the same for Anthony Davis (#1 pick in the draft) and Meyers Leonard (#11 in that same draft)? Or, even at Iowa, do you expect the same from Tyler Cook and Cordell Pemsl (I believe their recruiting rankings were not the same). :)

WInston was a top 40 recruit that everybody wanted. Bohannon was a mid major prospect until we offered, ranked #299 in the class.

WInston was a top 40 recruit that everybody wanted. Bohannon was a mid major prospect until we offered, ranked #299 in the class.

So, do you see them performing to what was expected based in their rankings? In addition, it is natural to think a higher rated player is struggling especially when a team like Michigan State is losing game they normally don't (Northeastern, Penn State, etc.) - yes?

Winston actually had his best statistical game vs Northeastern (21 points, 10 assists, 3 turnovers) but they lost at home. He only played 16 minutes with 5 points, 3 assists, 3 turnovers vs PSU. He also struggled at Ohio State (11 minutes, 1 point, 2 assists, 1 turnover). Seems like a typical up and down freshman year to me.

So, do you see them performing to what was expected based in their rankings? In addition, it is natural to think a higher rated player is struggling especially when a team like Michigan State is losing game they normally don't (Northeastern, Penn State, etc.) - yes?

Winston actually had his best statistical game vs Northeastern (21 points, 10 assists, 3 turnovers) but they lost at home. He only played 16 minutes with 5 points, 3 assists, 3 turnovers vs PSU. He also struggled at Ohio State (11 minutes, 1 point, 2 assists, 1 turnover). Seems like a typical up and down freshman year to me.

There was a certain poster that said Bohannon was outplaying Winston this year but he was wrong.

There was a certain poster that said Bohannon was outplaying Winston this year but he was wrong.

I would agree that Winston has better numbers than Jordan overall so far. I do find it interesting that Jordan's stats have improved in conference play while Winston's have declined. Now, Winston is still ahead, so I am not saying Jordan is better. For example, Jordan's TOV% has declined in conference while Winston's has increased (probably not by enough to matter, but still).

Exactly. And you are here crowing about Winston being better. LOL man he should be doubling Jordan in Pts, Assists, have a WAY better TS% and eFG% and a MASSIVE fake PER advantage. He is surrounded by players who were all way higher ranked recruits as well, meaning his stats should look better.

For some reason you think you prove your point because a top 40 recruit is holding a slight advantage in a few stats. You have to cherry pick the stats as well to prove your point. The same hold true with the rest of the 4* PG. It is like you are clueless about basketball. Even the 4* kids come in and struggle, yet you act like Jordan who is the #299 ranked kid should be NOT having struggles that even Most of the 4* PG are having.

I would agree that Winston has better numbers than Jordan overall so far. I do find it interesting that Jordan's stats have improved in conference play while Winston's have declined. Now, Winston is still ahead, so I am not saying Jordan is better. For example, Jordan's TOV% has declined in conference while Winston's has increased (probably not by enough to matter, but still).

And Winston has all still been better in conference. It's just funny some posters think Jordan has been great this year and is a star

Link?

I know I've brought Winston a few times, in an effort to show you that the difference between a top 40 recruit and a recruit rated #299 really isn't that much in this case. Certainly not enough for it to be talked about this much.

On a side note it was nice that you took 1 day of trolling off after that good win by Iowa. Didn't see you post anything positive about Iowa tho, so that was typical.

What did you think of our #300 ranked guards playing as well as the 5* and 4* OSU guards? Crazy how bad Jordan and Ellingson are yet they can put up better numbers than a 4* and 5* kids

Jordan has been better than advertised, everyone, from Doc and Morehouse to Miller to Settles to Dakich to Kugler has repeatedly said it... but 56 says no so I guess we all need to see the light.

Jordan has been better than advertised, everyone, from Doc and Morehouse to Miller to Settles to Dakich to Kugler has repeatedly said it... but 56 says no so I guess we all need to see the light.

I'd bet he has better numbers than 95% of p5 Fr who were ranked similar to him. Most everyone can clearly see he has way outperformed both is ranking and expectations.

I'd bet he has better numbers than 95% of p5 Fr who were ranked similar to him. Most everyone can clearly see he has way outperformed both is ranking and expectations.

Well and that's just it. Dan F'in Dakich is not going out of his way to throw heaps of praise on a Hawkeye. He just isn't. He's gone out of his way to say stuff about Iowa players NO ONE wants to hear... ie Woody or calling the large majority of our team soft the past few seasons. They guy just hates Iowa for the most part, but couldn't stop gushing about JB Saturday.

Link?

I know I've brought Winston a few times, in an effort to show you that the difference between a top 40 recruit and a recruit rated #299 really isn't that much in this case. Certainly not enough for it to be talked about this much.

Dean said it in this very thread

Latest posts