Bohannon crow anyone?

Gee, I was hoping you noticed who passed Baer the ball. Now, go ahead and answer whether you think it is a contested shot or not. It shouldn't be too hard since you said anyone could tell, right?

It was a contested shot but Baer is also tall and has a high release so wasn't a terrible shot. Definitely a patented PC unimpressive assist though

It was a contested shot but Baer is also tall and has a high release so wasn't a terrible shot. Definitely a patented PC unimpressive assist though

That's weird. Previous poster said uncontested. I guess that's subjective. Oh, and that shot is over one of those quicker guards for Maryland (I believe it is Melo Trimble). I guess quickness didn't help on that one. So, does that shot hurt his defensive rating?

OK. Let's play again. There's two here. Contested or uncontested on each shot?

That's weird. Previous poster said uncontested. I guess that's subjective. Oh, and that shot is over one of those quicker guards for Maryland (I believe it is Melo Trimble). I guess quickness didn't help on that one. So, does that shot hurt his defensive rating?

It wasn't great defense so I would assume it would hurt his defensive rating.

First one he was pretty open, had a lot of space and the defender was late getting his arms up. Second one was contested

Good answers. The 1st one is in a tweet where the poster says it is in DJ Wilson's face. And the 2nd one was in rhythm. I would be curious if the coaches were OK with the 2nd shot.

How exactly do you measure that? Do you know? Where does the defender's rating get dinged?

The core of the Defensive Rating calculation is the concept of the individual Defensive Stop. Stops take into account the instances of a player ending an opposing possession that are tracked in the boxscore (blocks, steals, and defensive rebounds), in addition to an estimate for the number of forced turnovers and forced misses by the player which aren't captured by steals and blocks.

The formula for Stops is:

• Stops = Stops1 + Stops2
where:

• Stops1 = STL + BLK * FMwt * (1 - 1.07 * DOR%) + DRB * (1 - FMwt)
  • FMwt = (DFG% * (1 - DOR%)) / (DFG% * (1 - DOR%) + (1 - DFG%) * DOR%)
  • DOR% = Opponent_ORB / (Opponent_ORB + Team_DRB)
  • DFG% = Opponent_FGM / Opponent_FGA
  • Stops2 = (((Opponent_FGA - Opponent_FGM - Team_BLK) / Team_MP) * FMwt * (1 - 1.07 * DOR%) + ((Opponent_TOV - Team_STL) / Team_MP)) * MP + (PF / Team_PF) * 0.4 * Opponent_FTA * (1 - (Opponent_FTM / Opponent_FTA))^2
Also necessary is the calculation of Stop%, which is the rate at which a player forces a defensive stop as a percentage of individual possessions faced (essentially the inverse of Floor%, but for defenders):

• Stop% = (Stops * Opponent_MP) / (Team_Possessions * MP)
With those numbers in hand, individual Defensive Rating can be computed:

• DRtg = Team_Defensive_Rating + 0.2 * (100 * D_Pts_per_ScPoss * (1 - Stop%) - Team_Defensive_Rating)
where:

• Team_Defensive_Rating = 100 * (Opponent_PTS / Team_Possessions)
  • D_Pts_per_ScPoss = Opponent_PTS / (Opponent_FGM + (1 - (1 - (Opponent_FTM / Opponent_FTA))^2) * Opponent_FTA*0.4)

The core of the Defensive Rating calculation is the concept of the individual Defensive Stop. Stops take into account the instances of a player ending an opposing possession that are tracked in the boxscore (blocks, steals, and defensive rebounds), in addition to an estimate for the number of forced turnovers and forced misses by the player which aren't captured by steals and blocks.

where:

• Stops2 = (((Opponent_FGA - Opponent_FGM - Team_BLK) / Team_MP) * FMwt * (1 - 1.07 * DOR%) + ((Opponent_TOV - Team_STL) / Team_MP)) * MP + (PF / Team_PF) * 0.4 * Opponent_FTA * (1 - (Opponent_FTM / Opponent_FTA))^2
Also necessary is the calculation of Stop%, which is the rate at which a player forces a defensive stop as a percentage of individual possessions faced (essentially the inverse of Floor%, but for defenders):

• DRtg = Team_Defensive_Rating + 0.2 * (100 * D_Pts_per_ScPoss * (1 - Stop%) - Team_Defensive_Rating)
where:

• D_Pts_per_ScPoss = Opponent_PTS / (Opponent_FGM + (1 - (1 - (Opponent_FTM / Opponent_FTA))^2) * Opponent_FTA*0.4)

Is that the formula for the death of sports? Or is it the way to make John Wooden puke, even now.

where:

where:

Wow. So you mastered cut and paste. Congratulations. See, I knew the answer, but I wanted to know if you did.

How reliable do you think the estimate for the number of forced turnovers and forced misses by the player which aren't captured by steals and blocks is?

Also, did you notice how individual Defense Rating encompasses the Team Defensive Rating? So, if guards play on a team that do not block shots or (subjectively) force misses, then their rating will be worse than those guards who do play with shot blockers and/or players who force misses more often. Does that make sense?

Wow. So you mastered cut and paste. Congratulations. See, I knew the answer, but I wanted to know if you did.

How reliable do you think the estimate for the number of forced turnovers and forced misses by the player which aren't captured by steals and blocks is?

Also, did you notice how individual Defense Rating encompasses the Team Defensive Rating? So, if guards play on a team that do not block shots or (subjectively) force misses, then their rating will be worse than those guards who do play with shot blockers and/or players who force misses more often. Does that make sense?

I'd guess it's pretty reliable, especially for a guard

Bing-go. If Cook, Pemsl, Jok, etc were playing better defense....everyone stats improve, the team improves, and it can cover up the point or guards getting beat off the dribble, which happens all the time, to a lot of very good teams.

I'd guess it's pretty reliable, especially for a guard

How about when a guard is guarding a taller player with a high release point? It may not be bad defense, but a bad matchup. Or, it might be zone defense where the player is not necessarily guarding a specific player for the entire possession. These are things that defensive rating has not been able to explain entirely (as Dean has pointed out numerous times).

Also, I notice you didn't respond to the individual defensive rating portion of my post.

How about when a guard is guarding a taller player with a high release point? It may not be bad defense, but a bad matchup. Or, it might be zone defense where the player is not necessarily guarding a specific player for the entire possession. These are things that defensive rating has not been able to explain entirely (as Dean has pointed out numerous times).

Also, I notice you didn't respond to the individual defensive rating portion of my post.

If you struggle to defend someone due to lack of size or struggle to close out in a zone you're probably not a good defender...

If you struggle to defend someone due to lack of size or struggle to close out in a zone you're probably not a good defender...

How is lack of size measured in a defensive rating?

So, you are not interested in discussing anything in that post? I was curious in some critical thinking about how defensive statistics are compiled and how specific plays may affect defensive ratings (team vs individual, zone, etc.).

How is lack of size measured in a defensive rating?

So, you are not interested in discussing anything in that post? I was curious in some critical thinking about how defensive statistics are compiled and how specific plays may affect defensive ratings (team vs individual, zone, etc.).

If you're small enough were someone you're matched up on can shoot right over you that should hurt your defensive rating. I'm not sure how they are exactly calculated.

Latest posts