Bohannon crow anyone?

I have no idea. You'd have to have a minimum attempt number to accurately calculate it. Obviously if over half the teams in the country shoot over 34% that means if we shot 34% as a team we would be below average

So you don't know, but you know he's below avg. Got it.

http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/stats/2017/Averages/Qualified/Fr/Season/All/tpfg_pct/desc/2

This site lets you switch by class. JB is 156th in frosh 3 point %, Moss is 165th (he was ahead of JB until last game). When you take out guys that average less than 2 three point attempts per game, they are 126th and 131st as freshman. JB is at .357 for threes though, perfectly acceptable, although inflated by his couple good non-conference games. He is only .316 in the B10 which is fine if he shot only a couple per game, a bit of a problem when you shoot over 5 times. One good game and that still jumps closer to his overall average though. Moss is at .353 overall, but only .286 in conference. The difference is he's only shot 14 3s in conference, so not as big an issue.

http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/stats/2017/Averages/Qualified/Fr/Season/All/tpfg_pct/desc/2

This site lets you switch by class. JB is 156th in frosh 3 point %, Moss is 165th (he was ahead of JB until last game). When you take out guys that average less than 2 three point attempts per game, they are 126th and 131st as freshman. JB is at .357 for threes though, perfectly acceptable, although inflated by his couple good non-conference games. He is only .316 in the B10 which is fine if he shot only a couple per game, a bit of a problem when you shoot over 5 times. One good game and that still jumps closer to his overall average though. Moss is at .353 overall, but only .286 in conference. The difference is he's only shot 14 3s in conference, so not as big an issue.

Agreed. Bohannon has taken a handful of deep 3's very early in the offense. He might grow into the kind of shooter that can do that stuff but as of right now he should be sticking to the open looks from the motion action. Who really knows what Fran is telling him to do though. Fran likes his shooters to be aggressive. I have heard him say countless times that certain guys should be taking more shots. All in all I still think Jbo is a solid player who will end up in the top quarter of BIG 10 PG's by time he is an upperclassmen. It's my hope that he puts it all together by his Junior year so we can reap the benefits for 2 seasons. Giving time for Conner and Wieskamp time to settle in.

Out of how many freshman?

That number needs to come down

Do you think Jordan is selfishly taking those shots? Should the coaches tell him to shoot less? Should his teammates run the plays better so they are open for passes rather than shots for him? When the shot clock runs down, should he just pass it to someone else to take the shot at that point? Since they don't run plays for the PG to get shots very often, how should that number go down? I am curious how the shots come down.

Iowa has to be towards the top in possessions per game. Factor in how many minutes he's playing and I would say his shots per minute played or possession played are fairly low.

Do you think Jordan is selfishly taking those shots? Should the coaches tell him to shoot less? Should his teammates run the plays better so they are open for passes rather than shots for him? When the shot clock runs down, should he just pass it to someone else to take the shot at that point? Since they don't run plays for the PG to get shots very often, how should that number go down? I am curious how the shots come down.

Yes

Iowa has to be towards the top in possessions per game. Factor in how many minutes he's playing and I would say his shots per minute played or possession played are fairly low.

This is a good point. I would be interested to see those metrics.

31st in Adjusted Tempo. He has the second most shots on the team, that is a bad thing. I'm surprised people are even arguing that.

31st in Adjusted Tempo. He has the second most shots on the team, that is a bad thing. I'm surprised people are even arguing that.

It's not like other people are passing up scoring opportunities. Without looking up stats and just thinking about flow of game, who do you think isn't shooting enough because they are passing up shots?

That's easy to say - and may already have been said. However, some of the other factors (teammates getting open, defense the opponent is playing, shot clock running down, etc.) also matter, correct? Remember last game when JBo had a turnover, then Baer stole the ball back and passed to Jbo who backed up behind the 3 point line and shot it and made it? Should he have shot that? And, you don't get to answer yes because he made it.

It's not like other people are passing up scoring opportunities. Without looking up stats and just thinking about flow of game, who do you think isn't shooting enough because they are passing up shots?

Baer, Pemsl, Moss and Ellignson should be shooting more

That's easy to say - and may already have been said. However, some of the other factors (teammates getting open, defense the opponent is playing, shot clock running down, etc.) also matter, correct? Remember last game when JBo had a turnover, then Baer stole the ball back and passed to Jbo who backed up behind the 3 point line and shot it and made it? Should he have shot that? And, you don't get to answer yes because he made it.

He should only shoot open shots, he's missing contested ones. I'm not saying he shouldn't shoot at all but he's proven he's not a great shooter and has the second most attempts on the team. He's shooting 34% from the floor, he needs to limit his attempts

He was open...so yes put it up youngster. I cringe when I see the forced 3's either from silly deep range or hand in the face. Broken plays or lose ball situations often lead to open 3's. Historically it's a higher percentage 3 point attempt. I wish we would switch up our fast break from time to time to send shooters to the wing instead of crashing the basket. It's easy 3 point offense.

He should only shoot open shots, he's missing contested ones. I'm not saying he shouldn't shoot at all but he's proven he's not a great shooter and has the second most attempts on the team. He's shooting 34% from the floor, he needs to limit his attempts

So, do you think Jordan has an issue knowing what an open shot is compared to a contested shot? And, do you think he wants to shoot contested shots?

Latest posts