BHGP DJK story

Very productive?

- His best season and he doesn't break 750 yards? The suggests either that there are talent limitations OR that the guy is too inconsistent.

- He doesn't break 3 TDs in a season until his SR year? Heck, Hinkel had 4 in one game!

DJK's productivity is exaggerated.

I'm not saying he isn't talented. Frankly, I think that DJK didn't even get close to his ceiling of potential. And that is the sad part. Had the young man towed the line ... had the young man put in the work, had the young man invested into being a better leader, and had he put in all the time needed to hone his craft .... his record numbers at Iowa perhaps could have been almost "untouchable." Instead, his numbers were okay ... but not great.

In your opinion is he better than Niles Paul? History of Iowa football only 2 guys have been over 1000 yds. receiving in a single season and Kevin Kasper should not count because he caught a gazillion bubble screen passes.....A guy from the 70's and Kasper are it. Not even the beloved Tim Dwight did it so leave yardage argument out of this.

2007 season you honestly think a healthy Andy Brodell would have been that much better? Some of what you has merit, but you are making it personal think it about objectively.

In your opinion is he better than Niles Paul? History of Iowa football only 2 guys have been over 1000 yds. receiving in a single season and Kevin Kasper should not count because he caught a gazillion bubble screen passes.....A guy from the 70's and Kasper are it. Not even the beloved Tim Dwight did it so leave yardage argument out of this.

2007 season you honestly think a healthy Andy Brodell would have been that much better? Some of what you has merit, but you are making it personal think it about objectively.

And how many of Iowa's WRs have been standouts in the NFL at WR? Not even Dwight was a standout ... rather he was a journeyman.

LOL! No, he did something worse! He was a me-first player ... and was a negative influence in the Hawkeye locker room (a very polarizing figure). I know of a few NFLers (former Hawks) who hate DJK for that very reason.

I invariably have the "backs" of Iowa players. However, when a player hurts our program ... they lose my support. And by hurting our program ... I don't mean by playing poorly. There are plenty of great Hawkeyes who weren't terribly good ... Antwan Allen being one of such guys.

In sincerely believe that the Iowa program would have been better off and more successful WITHOUT DJK. His influence led to polarization ... furthermore, he was a distraction to the team.

Bingo...

And how many of Iowa's WRs have been standouts in the NFL at WR? Not even Dwight was a standout ... rather he was a journeyman.

Exactly. Just because he was good here doesn't mean he will be good in the NFL. And I have always thought that his return game was a bit overstated. Decent, yeah, but not outstanding.

And yet many of McNutt's TD receptions where long balls. Heck, very few of McNutt's TD receptions were on fades ... so your argument lacks merit.

If McNutt were to really get down the fade-ball with Vandenberg ... then his TD numbers could truly be insane this year.

Exactly how how many were over 10 yds.? The Indiana game last year alone should count by the several failed attempts to score on that jump ball/ fade route.

Honestly the more I am forced (by threads like these) to investigate this, it really is remarkable that DJK didn’t put up even bigger numbers. I mean in 4 years he had 16 TD receptions while McNutt I think has 16 already in 2!!

People want to compare him to all these other receivers and he isn’t comparable. You could say that its Iowa’s system, yet Marvin is already well on his way in 2 years and quite frankly Marvin, albeit clearly slower, is more explosive and dangerous, yet people are oft to say DJK could take it to the house any time?!

DJK is very much the kid you know that has oodles of ability but only give s a very little bit. The most glaring accusation of DJK is that he didn’t do more as Homer said. The NFL FWIW does seem to be taking a different approach to these kinds of things as Pryor being suspended indicates …..

Chad

A la Team America ... Fvck Yeah!

You recall Brodell at the end of the '06 season ... don't you?

A healthy Brodell in '07 would have been dangerous. Brodell was a more consistent route-runner, a better blocker, he understood the hot-reads, and his hands weren't any worse than DJK's that year.

Heck, in '07, Cleveland was the more well-rounded WR. Cleveland ran better routes and was a better blocker. If Christensen didn't suck so bad ... Cleveland would have had better passes going his way too ... and likely would have had better production.

Honestly the more I am forced (by threads like these) to investigate this, it really is remarkable that DJK didn’t put up even bigger numbers. I mean in 4 years he had 16 TD receptions while McNutt I think has 16 already in 2!!

People want to compare him to all these other receivers and he isn’t comparable. You could say that its Iowa’s system, yet Marvin is already well on his way in 2 years and quite frankly Marvin, albeit clearly slower, is more explosive and dangerous, yet people are oft to say DJK could take it to the house any time?!

DJK is very much the kid you know that has oodles of ability but only give s a very little bit. The most glaring accusation of DJK is that he didn’t do more as Homer said. The NFL FWIW does seem to be taking a different approach to these kinds of things as Pryor being suspended indicates …..

Chad

I think that is where I draw the line. Against Minny he looked to be the only one giving any effort. He may not have done as much OFF the field, and I have no idea whether he did or not....but I think he gave it his all while ON the field.

Danan Hughes had a 7 or 8 year career.......On the field the same type of player. The argument is not about being an NFL standout it is about why he isn't in a NFL camp.

Danan Hughes had a 7 or 8 year career.......On the field the same type of player. The argument is not about being an NFL standout it is about why he isn't in a NFL camp.

Same type of player...in a different kind of era of NFL football.

In your opinion is he better than Niles Paul?

As a Hawkeye homer ... I'd like to believe that he was better. However, to the credit of Niles Paul, he still had a season where he eclipsed 750 yards ... a milestone that DJK never achieved.

Furthermore, as Chad rightly pointed out, Paul has better size than DJK ... and that is something that NFL scouts like. Furthermore, I'm willing to bet that Paul's game-film illustrating his blocking left a much better impression on scout than DJK's blocking.

So, to be honest, I don't know if DJK was better. If DJK was better ... with a SR QB passing to him, I would have expected better production.

A la Team America ... Fvck Yeah!

You recall Brodell at the end of the '06 season ... don't you?

A healthy Brodell in '07 would have been dangerous. Brodell was a more consistent route-runner, a better blocker, he understood the hot-reads, and his hands weren't any worse than DJK's that year.

Heck, in '07, Cleveland was the more well-rounded WR. Cleveland ran better routes and was a better blocker. If Christensen didn't suck so bad ... Cleveland would have had better passes going his way too ... and likely would have had better production.

C'mon man, Really? You do realize Jake Christensen was the QB? Brodell did not become a consistent, trustworthy receiver until '08. You understand Brodell got hurt in the 5th game of the '07 season. Where was he in the other 4 games?

Ahh, yes James Cleveland and his highly productive 36 catches and a crucial drop against ISU, that is a good comparison.:rolleyes:

DJK is under 6 foot tall, ran a middle range 40 at the combine, has been arrested for drug issues and had communications issues with his college coach, who happens to be one of the most respected coaches around. And teams did talk with DJK, so maybe his attitude/interview skills left teams wondering if he has truly matured enough to bring into camp?

I think that is where I draw the line. Against Minny he looked to be the only one giving any effort. He may not have done as much OFF the field, and I have no idea whether he did or not....but I think he gave it his all while ON the field.

I know you’re not being a jerk or chastising me, but that is YOUR opinion.....it may even be accurate in this instance.

But I remember an absolutely heinous attempt of INT’s at least twice in his career and that’s what I saw……

I’ll give you a for instance……I was a solid high school player and I worked hard in practice and on the field. However I did very little outside the confines of practice on my own and several of us (maybe the majority for that matter) smoked dope and drank nearly every weekend. In hindsight I look back and realize I was a terrible teammate…..

I can’t help but think if people found out that Stanzi or Clayborn where smoking dope or a locker room distraction they’d be like…..ah ha! But with DJK they are like…..meh….I don’t get it. He is such an interesting character in Iowa history.

I’m going to drop a little logic on everyone…..you cannot be in as much limbo as DJK clearly was throughout his career and be a great practice guy, team player and non-distraction! He was a problem clearly and that does affect the team……

Chad

Last edited:
I know you’re not being a jerk or chastising me, but that is YOUR opinion.....it may even be accurate in this instance.

But I remember an absolutely heinous attempt of INT’s at least twice in his career and that’s what I saw……

I’ll give you a for instance……I was a solid high school player and I worked hard in practice and on the field. However I did very little outside the confines of practice on my own and several of us (maybe the majority for that matter) smoked dope and drank nearly every weekend. In hindsight I look back and realize I was a terrible teammate…..

I can’t help but think if people found out that Stanzi or Clayborn where smoking dope or a locker room distraction they’d be like…..ah ha! But with DJK they are like…..meh….I don’t get it. He is such an interesting character in Iowa history.

I’m going to drop a little logic on everyone…..you cannot be in as much limbo as DJK clearly was throughout his career and be a great practice guy, team player non distraction! He was a problem clearly and that does affect the team……

Chad

Were we on the same team? Or are you me? That describes me to a T.

BTW, I remember the throws that you are talking about - well, I think one was Indiana, at least. I mean, I do agree with you there...he could have done more. But I think overall, he was a hard worker on the field. But like I said, off of it...I don't doubt that he was a bad teammate.

C'mon man, Really? You do realize Jake Christensen was the QB? Brodell did not become a consistent, trustworthy receiver until '08. You understand Brodell got hurt in the 5th game of the '07 season. Where was he in the other 4 games?

Ahh, yes James Cleveland and his highly productive 36 catches and a crucial drop against ISU, that is a good comparison.:rolleyes:

First off ... Brodell got injured right at the beginning of the 4th game of the '07 season (against Wisky) ... same game that Moeaki went down in too.

As for the WR tally through the first 3 games:

Brodell - 12 receptions
Cleveland - 4 receptions
DJK - 4 receptions
Sandeman - 3 receptions
Stross - 1 reception

It would seem that my original assertion still holds ... Brodell was the most consistent/reliable WR we had. Furthermore, he caught the most balls ... and even still our passing game was limited because Christensen sucked so bad.

Time to let it (him) go people.....I will not read this article. Time to focus on the present team and not the past!

Latest posts