BHGP DJK story

The guy has NFL talent. If Kevin Kasper played in the NFL, DJK has the talent.

Ferentz has made Hawkeye program NFL University. He gets guys like Brandon Meyers playing on Sundays. DJK has more talent than a lot of the former Hawks in the NFL.

Was he an elite NFL wr talent? No. Was he definitely good enough to be on a roster and contribute? Absolutely.

DJK will either end up with the CFL, or Arena league and will have to keep his nose clean and perform at a very high level if he wants to see his dreams of playing in the NFL come true.

No that wasnt directed at you. There are so many people that now say they knew all along that DJK wouldnt get in the NFL. A year ago no one was saying that.

This is also the case with many players. Jewel and Wegher are no different. As soon as they are gone you have people crawling out of the woodwork to say they always thought that they were no good.

I think most people's opinions on his ability to play haven't changes all that much. Most reasoned people thought he'd be a late draft pick or maybe a FA invitee at worst, and that he'd make a good returner in the NFL for at least a few years, even though he probably doesn't have the size and speed to be a great everydown WR. And I think most people still evaluate his talent at that level.

Yeah, you've got some d-bags out there, but I think most people still see his football abilities the same as they always have.

Here's my problem with the conspiracy theorists. They argue that there are less talented players in the NFL and that there are players with more baggage in the NFL right now, so why not DJK? Well the question really should be are there players with a combination of less talent and more baggage than DJK right now. To compare him to one subset or the other isn't an apples to apples comparison.

I can't really think of anyone off the top of my head that fits the bill.

Still, based on his talents, I would have thought he'd get a look at a camp as a returner somewhere. I think it's unfortunate, but I don't buy the conspiracy angle.

blacklisted? No.

My guess it was a combo of all the info we know about DJK and probably some that we didn't know. Say what you want about KF and DJK's relationship while he was here but I'm guessing there is a lot more that the great majority of fans have no clue about.

And maybe it wasn't KF but former teammates in the NFL that didn't have nice things to say about the guy.

I do think it is odd that he wasn't at least invited to a camp but I don't really care one way or another.

I think most people's opinions on his ability to play haven't changes all that much. Most reasoned people thought he'd be a late draft pick or maybe a FA invitee at worst, and that he'd make a good returner in the NFL for at least a few years, even though he probably doesn't have the size and speed to be a great everydown WR. And I think most people still evaluate his talent at that level.

Yeah, you've got some d-bags out there, but I think most people still see his football abilities the same as they always have.

This is a good post, not over said, not editorialized and not negative......

Keep in mind though he wasn’t even close to the best WR in the Big 10 and quite frankly he is no better than James Cleveland from Houston who I heard signed with the Cowboys’ but he has yet to record a stat in a game…..

And his KO return exploits are over blown. I wouldn’t want him over McNutt and I’m not sure many Iowa fans would, at least who haven’t drank the kool-aid.

I really don’t even dislike the kid and his drug issues mean little to me other than I have 4 kids and I’m hoping they don’t head down the path I did or DJK did. I was also a free spirit and head strong and my kids are all fairly opinionated and head strong, but until I “got ” that there was a time or place for it, I struggled…….

DJK clearly has gotten what he gave….it’s not complicated like some want it to be.

Chad

Last edited:
Lets assume for a second that KF did not give DJK any ringing endorsement...and gave his blunt opinion and say it was not positive.

Is Kirk supposed to lie, or rather, not give his opinion? Because if he starts doing that, and if the player in question doesn't pan out or flakes out, then people will begin to question the value of Kirk's input...and that could have a negative impact on Iowa players chances at NFL opportunities down the line...players who weren't doing drugs..players who were walking the line that was set down to be walked in the program.

The problem was he was a late round talent. If he was first round talent then he would be in the league no question. Look at some of the guys that have gotten in trouble in college but had crazy talent and gotten drafted. They just didn't want to take a chance on a guy who I am sure didn't get a good endorsement from his coach, was late round talent, and got in trouble with drugs.

This is a good post, not over said, not editorialized and not negative......

Keep in mind though he wasn’t even close to the best WR in the Big 10 and quite frankly he is no better than James Cleveland from Houston who I heard signed with the Cowboys’ but he has yet to record a stat in a game…..

And his KO return exploits are over blown. I wouldn’t want him over McNutt and I’m not sure many Iowa fans would, at least who haven’t drank the kool-aid.

I really don’t even dislike the kid and his drug issues mean little to me other than I have 4 kids and I’m hoping they don’t head down the path I did or DJK did. I was also a free spirit and head strong and my kids are all fairly opinionated and head strong, but until I “got †that there was a time or place for it, I struggled…….

DJK clearly has gotten what he gave….it’s not complicated like some want it to be.

Chad
Cleveland was cut by Dallas today without recording any preseason stats, FWIW.

Latest posts