Beth Mowins MNF

You forgot that I'm also a homophobe and a racist.

Nope, you're wrong. I think Phyllis George was great at her job. I also like Pam Oliver, Charissa Thompson, Lisa Salters, Sam Ponder, Melissa Stark........
Beth Mowins is awful.

My point was there are far worse broadcasters. I don't get the intense hatred for her. I don't like her or hate her, she's a broadcaster, who the f cares. If you know your team and you understand the game of football then play-by-play people are completely pointless, you already know whats going on and who the players are. So how exactly does a play by play person enhance or harm your viewing of the game? If it does you might have serious issues.

Give me your top 3 broadcasters of all time and I'll link you the stupid stuff they've said on live tv.

Reactions: trj
My point was there are far worse broadcasters. I don't get the intense hatred for her. I don't like her or hate her, she's a broadcaster, who the f cares. If you know your team and you understand the game of football then play-by-play people are completely pointless, you already know whats going on and who the players are. So how exactly does a play by play person enhance or harm your viewing of the game? If it does you might have serious issues.

Give me your top 3 broadcasters of all time and I'll link you the stupid stuff they've said on live tv.

I think a lot of it comes down to one thing...she sounds like she's trying too hard, forced...like she's trying to use the "announcer voice" all the time. I think that "tone" is the underlying current that gives her that "irritating" vibe for many people.

I think a lot of it comes down to one thing...she sounds like she's trying too hard, forced...like she's trying to use the "announcer voice" all the time. I think that "tone" is the underlying current that gives her that "irritating" vibe for many people.

I just think back to all the hawkeye games i've watched on tv and I can't remember a single time I thought "that play by play person really enhanced/ruined my viewing experience". Not a single time. I was at the BTT game so I didn't watch gus johnsons call of Smith's 80 yard td, but I enjoyed that replay a little more because of Gus's reaction.

I've certainly never looked ahead at who the play-by-play people are before a game is televised, because who gives a shit?

Yet when its announced that Beth Mowins will announce a monday night football game...NFL football game...it gets 3 pages worth of comments on a college football board.

That is a weird (sick?) obsession.

I just think back to all the hawkeye games i've watched on tv and I can't remember a single time I thought "that play by play person really enhanced/ruined my viewing experience". Not a single time. I was at the BTT game so I didn't watch gus johnsons call of Smith's 80 yard td, but I enjoyed that replay a little more because of Gus's reaction.

I've certainly never looked ahead at who the play-by-play people are before a game is televised, because who gives a shit?

Yet when its announced that Beth Mowins will announce a monday night football game...NFL football game...it gets 3 pages worth of comments on a college football board.

You quoted my post...did you read it?

I'm torn on it. I by no means am ok with how things have gone over there the last 10 yrs or so. But what's the alternative if they collapse? Rumors are that live sports will get gobbled up by the facebooks, yahoos, googles of the world now that'll get into bidding wars. Who knows how that'll shake things up as we know it. Maybe it'd be for the better but the unknown is just that. Preferably I'd like ESPN to just get their act together and quit bein so political and concentrate more on sports and less on pushing social agendas.

I think the only option that ESPN has left is to try to develop a premier live sports streaming product. I'm not sure what else they can do to keep their revenue stream. They have to keep up with the Jones's to stay afloat. Can they rebrand and shift gears, who knows?

I think the only option that ESPN has left is to try to develop a premier live sports streaming product. I'm not sure what else they can do to keep their revenue stream. They have to keep up with the Jones's to stay afloat. Can they rebrand and shift gears, who knows?
The dot coms of the world just seem to have money up the wazoo. When those TV deals expire in a couple years things will get interesting. I'm not sure an ESPN could compete in an open market for individual rights to games down the road since the crazy deals they've currently got are a big reason why they are hurting as it is. I'm sure there are smarter people than me sitting around thinking about this so we'll see. Times are a changing..

I said it once, and I'll say it again..........I'd hit it.

RS477859_20160803_JF2_5246-e1470422921368-310x310.jpg

upload_2017-5-17_12-42-54.jpeg

Sorry Jon and Rob!

Are you Beth Mowins agent? Because I can't think of any reason for someone to make as spirited of a defense for someone so terrible at her job as you. She gets this many responses, and threads because she is a perfect example of political correctness gone haywire. She is terrible at her job, not because she is a woman, she keeps her job because she is a woman.

Careful what you wish for. If ESPN implodes you might end up watching Iowa football only streaming online on Twitter featuring broadcasters Mike Goldberg, Tony Siragusa and Dave Wannstedt

Perhaps, but if there is no legitimate ESecPN, then I'm sure the B1G could opt out of contract and broadcast those games or turn to Fox or another outlet. I just think it's funny because ESecPN has become such a politicized network that really doesn't have sports first. They're getting what they deserve, so to speak.

I'm torn on it. I by no means am ok with how things have gone over there the last 10 yrs or so. But what's the alternative if they collapse? Rumors are that live sports will get gobbled up by the facebooks, yahoos, googles of the world now that'll get into bidding wars. Who knows how that'll shake things up as we know it. Maybe it'd be for the better but the unknown is just that. Preferably I'd like ESPN to just get their act together and quit bein so political and concentrate more on sports and less on pushing social agendas.

I agree that would be the best scenario for us all. I just don't see them changing, but I could be wrong. But, they're owned by a big media company that only cares about the bottom line and t.v. contracts are an expense. Trust me, I work for a huge corporation with 100'sk of workers and customer satisfaction is nowhere near the bottom line. But, the B1G could make a fortune with add revenue. The B1G is unique. It isn't owned by a media company.

Are you Beth Mowins agent? Because I can't think of any reason for someone to make as spirited of a defense for someone so terrible at her job as you. She gets this many responses, and threads because she is a perfect example of political correctness gone haywire. She is terrible at her job, not because she is a woman, she keeps her job because she is a woman.

BoXUpyeCQAA2WhY.jpg

I agree that would be the best scenario for us all. I just don't see them changing, but I could be wrong. But, they're owned by a big media company that only cares about the bottom line and t.v. contracts are an expense. Trust me, I work for a huge corporation with 100'sk of workers and customer satisfaction is nowhere near the bottom line. But, the B1G could make a fortune with add revenue. The B1G is unique. It isn't owned by a media company.
Have you listened to Jon and Deaces last podcast? You'll find it interesting I bet. They touch on that topic comparing the SEC network to BIG.

Is her slightly masculine voice really that irritating? Do you need her voice to be more feminine in order to give a thumbs up or better yet, simply not care? So what play by play analyst uses a monotone style? They all have "announcer voice".

You forgot that I'm also a homophobe and a racist.

Nope, you're wrong. I think Phyllis George was great at her job. I also like Pam Oliver, Charissa Thompson, Lisa Salters, Sam Ponder, Melissa Stark........
Beth Mowins is awful.

Dude everyone you listed is a sideline reporter. And don't go to the Jessica Medonza card because she is a color analyst. Compare her to Pam Ward or the bunch of other dudes doing play by play.

I actually kind of admire her. Not many more male-dominated fields than being a college football play-by-play person. I imagine she's had to take a lot of sexist crap over the years. She's not the best in the business but she seems like a classy enough person.

Have you listened to Jon and Deaces last podcast? You'll find it interesting I bet. They touch on that topic comparing the SEC network to BIG.

I actually have not. When are they and via which site? I'm long removed from Iowa so I am a bit out of touch, in that respect.