Best 3pt shooting team in Fran Era?

Baer needs to quit shooting 3s. Took awful shots tonight after one pass in the offense and he isn’t a distance shooter anyway
Baer can shoot corner threes if it comes off a good possession. He should not be shooting early shot clock deep 3s. He got a talking to at one point last night.

Kriener made one but he needs to get a better feel for what a good shot is. If he picks and pops near the end of a possession, go ahead and shoot it, but not early in the possession.

Hopefully shot selection will improve.

Yea but how many run outs at the other end? Hardly any? Wieskamp must be getting back then instead of being an idiot and going in for wide open dunks.
He probably did just that, considering he had ZERO offensive rebounds. Nice to see you finally figuring it out.

10 made 3s by 8 different Hawkeyes tonight. That’s with Bohannon and Weiskamp having off shooting nights.

3pt shooting can be an X factor for this team.
They aren't going to face too many zone defenses. I'd give it a few more games before I got too excited. Tonight should be a good indication as UConn does not play zone, IIRC.

They aren't going to face too many zone defenses. I'd give it a few more games before I got too excited. Tonight should be a good indication as UConn does not play zone, IIRC.
Seemed like a lot of our 10 threes last night were not a product of the zone in my recollection. 2 were pick and pop (Garza 1 Kriener 1), 2 for sure I remember were transition (Moss, JBo), 2 were end of shot clock forces (Garza 1 / Cmac 1) and Weiskamp’s was a scramble after an offensive rebound (could be product of zone).

Anyway to your point it’s going to be tougher to get good looks against man due to the fact we don’t have many drivers. The way we could do it is pounding it inside to Garza and Cook, and hoping they kick it out to shooters when players dig down. We will see if that happens.

Seemed like a lot of our 10 threes last night were not a product of the zone in my recollection. 2 were pick and pop (Garza 1 Kriener 1), 2 for sure I remember were transition (Moss, JBo), 2 were end of shot clock forces (Garza 1 / Cmac 1) and Weiskamp’s was a scramble after an offensive rebound (could be product of zone).

Anyway to your point it’s going to be tougher to get good looks against man due to the fact we don’t have many drivers. The way we could do it is pounding it inside to Garza and Cook, and hoping they kick it out to shooters when players dig down. We will see if that happens.
Yeah. I saw some things last night that gives me hope but I don't want to get carried away. Oregon is not a well coached team. Not from what I saw last night. I'm not trying to take anything away from what we did because as I said, I saw some things that I really liked. I'm going to table my cynicism of this team until after the OOC portion is done.

This could be the best 3pt shooting team in the Fran era, but I'm not sure that really says anything...
It's nice having bigs that can shoot like Garza and Kreiner, but as a team we shoot WAY too many 3's. Baer shot 7 last night which isn't ideal, and against UMKC 13 of our first 18 shots were from three, despite the significant size advantage.
I get that this is the way basketball has been trending, but that style excels when you have 3-4 guards on the floor together. We're lucky if we have two (Wieskamp is more of a SF right now and Moss can't handle the ball). As tight as the refs call the game these days I'd like to see us mix it up more and not fall in love with the three. Solid win last night, and the defense looked improved, I just don't think that type of shooting is sustainable throughout the year.

I’d say this teams ceiling is an NCAA bubble team. But no I do not see this team making the dance unfortunately.
@InGoodCo

I thought Iowa could be a tournament team. But wasn’t willing to go as far as predict they would make it. I don’t know I’m confused because you make it seem like all summer I was saying this team was going to be awful.

@InGoodCo

I thought Iowa could be a tournament team. But wasn’t willing to go as far as predict they would make it. I don’t know I’m confused because you make it seem like all summer I was saying this team was going to be awful.

I'm probably going to regret this but I don't read the statement you quoted as someone who feels Iowa "could" be a tournament team. To me when you say "ceiling" that's the top end, in your wildest dreams, type of word to use. While I don't see that statement as being overly negative I also don't see any positive in that either.

I'm probably going to regret this but I don't read the statement you quoted as someone who feels Iowa "could" be a tournament team. To me when you say "ceiling" that's the top end, in your wildest dreams, type of word to use. While I don't see that statement as being overly negative I also don't see any positive in that either.
I don’t have any issue with that statement. I never projected Iowa to make the dance. If they do I will consider my prediction wrong.

Ok I knew that shot was deep but that is ridiculous. With 15 seconds on the clock, you have to call that a bad shot. If he misses it, he gets all sorts of criticism and rightfully so. Of course he didn't miss it because hes a bad ass mfer.

Ok I knew that shot was deep but that is ridiculous. With 15 seconds on the clock, you have to call that a bad shot. If he misses it, he gets all sorts of criticism and rightfully so. Of course he didn't miss it because hes a bad ass mfer.
Penn State was really into us on defense in that sequence, so good that they forgot to box out Wiescamp. No way were they going to let us get it inside. It was going to have to be a bomb. Connor tried, Jordon connected.

Kingsbury range! Remember thinking what the shit?! a lot when he launched em. But they are daggers and more deflating than a in your face dunk.

With the effectiveness of Cook, Garza, and Kriener, we should pound the ball inside rather than depend on the 3pt shooting as much as we do. We are a really good free throw shooting team and with the addition of Connor, we are getting the ball to our bigs in positions where they can score and/ or cash in at the line. Many missed 3pt shots end up being long rebounds leading to transition 3s for the opponent.

With the effectiveness of Cook, Garza, and Kriener, we should pound the ball inside rather than depend on the 3pt shooting as much as we do. We are a really good free throw shooting team and with the addition of Connor, we are getting the ball to our bigs in positions where they can score and/ or cash in at the line. Many missed 3pt shots end up being long rebounds leading to transition 3s for the opponent.
Generally we do. Over the two prior games we had shot 33 3pt shots compared to the 28 we shot last night. Sometimes it’s just about matchups and obviously we didn’t have Cook last night. You have to have more than one way to beat a team, and pounding it inside every time can also lead to a lot of turnovers. I like playing inside out, but I still feel we have have a very good 3pt shooting team and need to continue to utilize that.

Latest posts