Best 3pt shooting team in Fran Era?

That's the dream. We wouldn't lose much on substitution either as Connor will likely hit somewhere around 37-40% too. He shot 36% his junior year and 42% his senior year. With a full year under his belt practicing from the college line, he should be a threat. Dailey and Baer subbing in for Moss and Wieskamp can also shoot. It's possible this is the year Kriener extends his game beyond the arc too. Cook and Pemsl are really the only two players that would make me cringe if they launched from deep.
I’m not convinced on Connor yet. He will be a very steep drop off from any of those guys when it comes to 3pt shooting I would think. Last I knew he had a very low release.

But Dailey is another guy who proved he can stroke it last year.

I’m not convinced on Connor yet. He will be a very steep drop off from any of those guys when it comes to 3pt shooting I would think. Last I knew he had a very low release.

But Dailey is another guy who proved he can stroke it last year.

Are you saying his 50% shooting from beyond the arc last season wasn't enough to convince you?!

More seriously, he'll have to prove it, but I don't think his shot looks THAT bad. Just a tinge low and a tad slow, but nowhere near the horror that is Patrick's shot if that's who you're thinking of with the low release.

Last edited:
Are you saying his 50% shooting from beyond the arc last season wasn't enough to convince you?!

More seriously, he'll have to prove it, but I don't think his shot looks THAT bad. Just a tinge low and a tad slow, but nowhere near the horror that is Patrick's shot if that's who you're thinking of with the low release.
I’m just a bit lower on Connor than most. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Either way he will be a big step down from JBo, who will probably go down as one of the greatest shooters in school history.

Defense is sooo 1980s. Nobody plays defense anymore. Look at the NBA. Every team is shooting 3 pt shots and hoping to get a couple of stops in the last couple of minutes. We need moar 3 pt shots!!!!!! This is the most talented roster we've ever had at Iowa. This is the best collection of 3 pt shooters we've ever had at Iowa. We are building a regional dynasty.
That just about covers the mindset of the 4-14 Iowa fan.
Speaking of the NBA. You have mentioned how you don't pay too much attention to it. It's bad enough that you have players like Jabari Parker making $20 million per year and telling the media that they don't like to exert effort on the defensive end. Now you have Jimmy Butler coming out and saying that he will decide when he plays back to back games.

The tail now totally wags the dog in the NBA. I know the schedule is brutal at times but if the players could stay out of clubs until five in the morning perhaps they could get the rest to play back to backs. I once loved the league. Now I only watch the Bucks or the Bulls or the Sixers once in a great while. And games are turning into three point shooting contests.

Speaking of the NBA. You have mentioned how you don't pay too much attention to it. It's bad enough that you have players like Jabari Parker making $20 million per year and telling the media that they don't like to exert effort on the defensive end. Now you have Jimmy Butler coming out and saying that he will decide when he plays back to back games.

The tail now totally wags the dog in the NBA. I know the schedule is brutal at times but if the players could stay out of clubs until five in the morning perhaps they could get the rest to play back to backs. I once loved the league. Now I only watch the Bucks or the Bulls or the Sixers once in a great while. And games are turning into three point shooting contests.
I stopped watching it in the late 90s. About the time it stopped being a team game. You couldn't pay me to watch it. It's not basketball anymore. It's isolation or pick and role basketball. It's garbage.

Defense is sooo 1980s. Nobody plays defense anymore. Look at the NBA. Every team is shooting 3 pt shots and hoping to get a couple of stops in the last couple of minutes. We need moar 3 pt shots!!!!!! This is the most talented roster we've ever had at Iowa. This is the best collection of 3 pt shooters we've ever had at Iowa. We are building a regional dynasty.
That just about covers the mindset of the 4-14 Iowa fan.

Or you can be "get off my lawn" guy. That is where the sport has evolved to. The two teams that were in the championship game were 2nd and 5th in 3 pt. attempts. Trading 3(s) for 2(s) doesn't work. I look at this Iowa roster and see a team that will not consistently be able to lock people down. Then it becomes about not letting your opponent to go on big runs and getting key stops before the half and at the end of games.

I stopped watching it in the late 90s. About the time it stopped being a team game. You couldn't pay me to watch it. It's not basketball anymore. It's isolation or pick and role basketball. It's garbage.
What did it for me was when superstars started to form "superteams" like it was Star Wars or something. The Lebron/Wade/Bosh triumverate in Miami was a perfect example of this. Durant joining the Warriors, Shaq joining the Lakers were other examples.

Superstars in the eighties and nineties wanted to compete against, not with each other. Magic wanted to beat Bird, then Isiah Thomas. Jordan wanted to beat Barkley and Ewing. They enjoyed making the other superstar lose at least as much as winning. The league doesn't have that feeling anymore and probably never will again. It's trickled down, too. Now you see fourteen years old AAU players forming allegiances to potentially play together in college, usually for a blue blood.

Or you can be "get off my lawn" guy. That is where the sport has evolved to. The two teams that were in the championship game were 2nd and 5th in 3 pt. attempts. Trading 3(s) for 2(s) doesn't work. I look at this Iowa roster and see a team that will not consistently be able to lock people down. Then it becomes about not letting your opponent to go on big runs and getting key stops before the half and at the end of games.
Call it what you want but the 2 teams in the championship game played DEFENSE. It's easy to chuck 3 pt shots when you have the chops to get back and play defense. That's the part of this that you don't seem to understand. This team got buried by double digit margins in conference play. Shooting more 3 pt shots isn't going to change the results for this year's team.
I'll be "get off my lawn guy" and you can be "I don't know WTF I'm talking about guy".

And the league was fun to watch when they were grabbing and holding each other? Yeah buddy, it was a free flowing "team" game back then. Nothing like watching some dude with a gigantic ass backing people on the block or watching one guy jack up a bunch of shots and everybody else stand and watch. That's the NBA you are reminiscing about?

And the league was fun to watch when they were grabbing and holding each other? Yeah buddy, it was a free flowing "team" game back then. Nothing like watching some dude with a gigantic ass backing people on the block or watching one guy jack up a bunch of shots and everybody else stand and watch. That's the NBA you are reminiscing about?
I never was a big fan of the NBA. Period. But at least it was a team game back in the 80s and 90s. It's total trash now.

Thats a perfect example of what I was just talking about. You had competitive superstars playing against each other for something big. You bet those games were going to turn into bloodbaths. Wouldn't you have rather seen Shaq and Kobe competing against each other for championships? How about Lebron and Tim Duncan? And for all that freewheeling three point chucking going on in the NBA, shooting percentages dropped for decades until finally levelling off in recent years. One sportswriter about fifteen years ago compared the relentless chucking of shots to the practice of a hockey team dumping the puck into the offensive zone and hoping for a lucky bounce.

Call it what you want but the 2 teams in the championship game played DEFENSE. It's easy to chuck 3 pt shots when you have the chops to get back and play defense. That's the part of this that you don't seem to understand. This team got buried by double digit margins in conference play. Shooting more 3 pt shots isn't going to change the results for this year's team.
I'll be "get off my lawn guy" and you can be "I don't know WTF I'm talking about guy".

There's nothing to get. It is obvious Iowa has to play better on DEFENSE. Who is clamoring for the same effort this year on D that we got last year? Some of us are just looking at the roster and thinking how do they maximize it. I am alright with being "not knowing wtf I am talking about" guy.

Thats a perfect example of what I was just talking about. You had competitive superstars playing against each other for something big. You bet those games were going to turn into bloodbaths. Wouldn't you have rather seen Shaq and Kobe competing against each other for championships? How about Lebron and Tim Duncan? And for all that freewheeling three point chucking going on in the NBA, shooting percentages dropped for decades until finally levelling off in recent years. One sportswriter about fifteen years ago compared the relentless chucking of shots to the practice of a hockey team dumping the puck into the offensive zone and hoping for a lucky bounce.

I am not a defender of everything NBA past or present. The game has evolved just like every other sport. Name me one team sport that hasn't drastically changed over the last 20 or 30 years?

There's nothing to get. It is obvious Iowa has to play better on DEFENSE. Who is clamoring for the same effort this year on D that we got last year? Some of us are just looking at the roster and thinking how do they maximize it. I am alright with being "not knowing wtf I am talking about" guy.
This roster isn't built the way you think it is. Shooting more 3 pt shots isn't going to accomplish what you think it will. Shooting more 3 pt shots won't maximize anything but the amount of points they will lose by.

I am not a defender of everything NBA past or present. The game has evolved just like every other sport. Name me one team sport that hasn't drastically changed over the last 20 or 30 years?
Chess. :) I know it's not a team sport.

Bobby Fischer, who would know, once called chess the most violent sport in the world because of what it did to your mind. It was your mind vs your opponent's. No bounce of the ball, no weather conditions, no teammates, no coaches, no referees. Mano a mono. Who has the stronger mind.
Let's go.

Anyone know about cricket? I haven't watched the Mumbai Monsoons take on the New Delhi Shepherds in a while.

Last edited:
10 made 3s by 8 different Hawkeyes tonight. That’s with Bohannon and Weiskamp having off shooting nights.

3pt shooting can be an X factor for this team.

10 made 3s by 8 different Hawkeyes tonight. That’s with Bohannon and Weiskamp having off shooting nights.

Yea but how many run outs at the other end? Hardly any? Wieskamp must be getting back then instead of being an idiot and going in for wide open dunks.

Here's a revealing stat, and it's strictly food for thought.

The shot chart from last night's game tells a story about where the game has been headed.

Iowa attempted only ten shots in the area outside the lane and short of the three point arc, and made only one.

Oregon wasn't much better, three for ten.

Somewhere John Wooden just rolled over in his grave, if not James Naismith.

Baer needs to quit shooting 3s. Took awful shots tonight after one pass in the offense and he isn’t a distance shooter anyway

Latest posts