Best 3pt shooting team in Fran Era?

Bottom line here is hopefully Iowa shoots more 3s because they are getting the right looks from 3. Lightning1 is right missed 3s are tough on a slow acting D. BUT if you pound it Inside as he suggests but they also increase your 3 attempts because you are getting looks from inside out action, that keeps the D more inside when the shot goes up while increasing your make per centage. Other than JBo and maybe Wieskamp, you need to get the right look rather than just jack it up. JBo needs to jack it up whenever he has space. He’s that good of a shooter.

I'd be surprised if they shoot more 3s this year. I'll be surprised if they finish the season with a higher 3pt FG % as a team. All of these bold predictions don't amount to much anyway. The question is: Will we be an NCAA tournament team this year? How much are you willing to wager on that?
I’d say this teams ceiling is an NCAA bubble team. But no I do not see this team making the dance unfortunately.

Bottom line here is hopefully Iowa shoots more 3s because they are getting the right looks from 3. Lightning1 is right missed 3s are tough on a slow acting D. BUT if you pound it Inside as he suggests but they also increase your 3 attempts because you are getting looks from inside out action, that keeps the D more inside when the shot goes up while increasing your make per centage. Other than JBo and maybe Wieskamp, you need to get the right look rather than just jack it up. JBo needs to jack it up whenever he has space. He’s that good of a shooter.
The trick is to get Cook/Garza to kick the ball back out. Cook hasn't shown any willingness to do that so far. The bottom line is, this roster is an inside - out roster. I don't know if Fran did that on purpose but that's what it is. The ball needs to go inside first, on every possession. That's going to slow the game down and make it easier on the defense.

I'll also say this. Bohannon would not have the green light to shoot on my team. The only players that have the green light to shoot are the players that bust their tails getting back on defense. That's the rule on my team and frankly, it's a rule I learned from Bo Ryan.

It absolutely has something to do with it. As missed 3 pt shots = long rebounds = run out offense for the other team. If we can't get back and defend 400 missed 3 pt attempts, how is it going to work when there are 450 missed 3 pt attempts?

Yes a 3 point shot increases the odds of a long rebound and transition points for the defense. But feeding the ball inside increases the odds of a turnover which leads to transition points.

Yes a 3 point shot increases the odds of a long rebound and transition points for the defense. But feeding the ball inside increases the odds of a turnover which leads to transition points.
If making a post entry pass leads to turnovers.....we need to pull every scholarship from every player and start over. Field walk-ons from the stands this season and try and recruit a new roster next season.

I swear, some of you guys are like addicts, in justifying your reasoning. You refuse to accept that this problem only gets fixed with better defense. I could spend all day copying and pasting quotes about "you win titles with defense" from Hall of Fame coaches and you guys still wouldn't get it. Carry on.
There’s is literally not a single person on this board that doesn’t understand that Iowa needs to play much better defense to be successful.

Iowa’s defense was bad on every level last year whether it be after a turnover, missed 3, made 3, missed 2, made 2, made FT, or missed FT.

That doesn’t mean you don’t play to your strengths on the offensive end. Our strengths on offense are two quality post threats who are surrounded by quality shooters. Our weakness is we don’t have many or any drivers.

Quite frankly yes Iowa needs to improve their defense by a ton this year, but at the end of the day they are still going to have a tough time even being average on that end. I’m also hoping, and feel with the talent they have they can improve on offense as well this year.

Will that end up with a tournament team? That I’m not confident in at this point.

If making a post entry pass leads to turnovers.....we need to pull every scholarship from every player and start over. Field walk-ons from the stands this season and try and recruit a new roster next season.

If we shouldn't shoot 3s out of fear of not getting back on defense.....we need to pull every scholarship from every player and start over. Field walk-ins from the stands this season and try and recruit a new roster next season.

I agree we don't have the athletes to play at the speed Fran wants to. But that really doesn't have anything to do with shooting more 3s. You can take just as much time trying to get an open 3 as you can trying to get it inside. I can see the confusion from watching how easy iowa gives up open 3s, but most teams actually try to defend against it.
Many of the open threes we gave up last year were in transition because someone didn't hustle back or got confused by poor communication. Our defense would catch up just in time to grab the ball out of the net and throw it back in. Happened time and time again.

If we shouldn't shoot 3s out of fear of not getting back on defense.....we need to pull every scholarship from every player and start over. Field walk-ins from the stands this season and try and recruit a new roster next season.
It's not out of fear that you don't shoot MORE 3pt shots. I never, ever said we shouldn't shoot 3 pt shots! Nice try.

There’s is literally not a single person on this board that doesn’t understand that Iowa needs to play much better defense to be successful.

Iowa’s defense was bad on every level last year whether it be after a turnover, missed 3, made 3, missed 2, made 2, made FT, or missed FT.

That doesn’t mean you don’t play to your strengths on the offensive end. Our strengths on offense are two quality post threats who are surrounded by quality shooters. Our weakness is we don’t have many or any drivers.

Quite frankly yes Iowa needs to improve their defense by a ton this year, but at the end of the day they are still going to have a tough time even being average on that end. I’m also hoping, and feel with the talent they have they can improve on offense as well this year.

Will that end up with a tournament team? That I’m not confident in at this point.
"Quite frankly yes Iowa needs to improve their defense by a ton this year, but at the end of the day they are still going to have a tough time even being average on that end."
Which is why you employ a combination of strategies to shore up an obvious weakness. 1 of which is to get the ball inside more, to make it easier to secure defensive rebounds and slow down the other team's offense. These are adjustments you have to make. These are the things that college coaches do, each and every season. New players = new strengths and weaknesses that have to be added and game planned for. Only an idiot continues to cut off their nose to spite their face.

Our exhibition game with Guilford coming up fast. And it's been nearly 50 years since World B Free played there. The real thing tips off one week from tonight.

I'm interested in Wisconsin on the 30th as I'm baching it for a couple days and may come down with my eighth grader.

I didn't say it was their issue last season . I said they needed to shoot LESS 3s this season, to help improve their defense. And there is a whopping 6 attempts per game difference between the 227th place and the 27th place teams. 6 whole attempts.

Weird.

You didn't say we shouldn't shoot more 3s?
This is what you said, and I quote "If we shouldn't shoot 3s"
Now show me where I said we shouldn't shoot 3s. Nowhere in the quoted text is the word "more". Stop moving the goal posts. Own your bull shit. You got caught trying to put words in my mouth.

Now show me where I said we shouldn't shoot 3s. Nowhere in the quoted text is the word "more". Stop moving the goal posts. Own your bull shit. You got caught trying to put words in my mouth.

So where did I say we shouldn't get the ball inside?

I'll say it again for the mentally challenged...
WE SHOULD SHOOT LESS 3PT SHOTS TO HELP IMPROVE OUR DEFENSE!
I'm not saying we shouldn't shoot 3 pt shots. Nowhere have I ever said that. Nor will I ever say that.

Latest posts