Best 3pt shooting team in Fran Era?

NikeHawk21

The current leader in the clubhouse is the 2016-2017 team (Jok’s Sr year). That team was led primarily by Jok and JBo who each made over 80 3s. After that the options were Baer, Moss, and Ellingson.

16-17: 300 3PM; 8.82 Per Game; .379%
17-18: 252 3PM; 7.63 Per Game; .375%

This years team has an opportunity to match or exceed 16-17 in my opinion and has more 3pt threats. First and foremost I don’t think adding a pure shooter like Weiskamp to the backcourt can be understated. Remember we were playing Wagner minutes at the 3 last year. Nunge and Garza also can knock a few down from the frontcourt which we haven’t had a ton of in years past, especially from the center position.

Here is the conservative math on how to get to 300:

JBo: 95 (96 last year)

Moss: 50 (49 last year)

Weiskamp: 40 (Dailey made 28 last year in only 16.5 minutes per game)

Dailey: 30 (28 last year)

Baer: 30 (23 last year; 46 in 16-17)

Nunge: 25 (19 last year)

Garza: 20 (16 last year)

The rest: 10 (Cmac, Cook, Kriener combined for 4 last year but Cmac barely played)

That’s 300 right there and all those estimates are fairly conservative with Weiskamp the only unknown. I think they can do even better than that.

Hopefully with guys playing their actual position, and if Joe is a solid defender as we are hearing, we can improve on that... hopefully :oops:
No. There's a direct correlation between shooting 3 pt shots and giving up a lot of points on defense. If you have a bad defensive team, a good way to cover their deficiencies is to shoot closer to the basket on the offensive end. Pound the ball inside. 3 pt shots lead to long rebounds, which leads to run out, fast break baskets.
This team should shoot fewer 3 pt shots, if they want to increase the number of wins.
One of the reasons I always chuckle when people think the key to more wins = shoot more 3 pt shots. Not with this team.

No. There's a direct correlation between shooting 3 pt shots and giving up a lot of points on defense. If you have a bad defensive team, a good way to cover their deficiencies is to shoot closer to the basket on the offensive end. Pound the ball inside. 3 pt shots lead to long rebounds, which leads to run out, fast break baskets.
This team should shoot fewer 3 pt shots, if they want to increase the number of wins.
One of the reasons I always chuckle when people think the key to more wins = shoot more 3 pt shots. Not with this team.
I actually never advocated for shooting a ton more threes, but if we make them at a higher clip that will help curb the runouts and fastbreaks you speak of. Also, Michigan shot 3s on 43% of their shots last year compared to 34% for Iowa, so it’s not like we launch at some unreal clip.

For instance last years team shot less 3s than the year prior (roughly 3 less per game), but they were significantly worse on defense.

The reason last years team was much worse in my estimation was in part lack of effort, in part lack of ability and coaching, in part guys playing out of position, and in part offensive live ball turnovers. As I said in my response hopefully our defense will improve with guys playing more in position and if Joe is a solid defender. Also let’s hope the effort & coaching improves.

We are a good 3pt shooting team so we will continue to shoot 3s. Hopefully they are good shots and we continue to work it into our frontcourt as well to Cook and Garza.

I actually never advocated for shooting a ton more threes, but if we make them at a higher clip that will help curb the runouts and fastbreaks you speak of. Also, Michigan shot 3s on 43% of their shots last year compared to 34% for Iowa, so it’s not like we launch at some unreal clip.

For instance last years team shot less 3s than the year prior (roughly 3 less per game), but they were significantly worse on defense.

The reason last years team was much worse in my estimation was in part lack of effort, in part lack of ability and coaching, in part guys playing out of position, and in part offensive live ball turnovers. As I said in my response hopefully our defense will improve with guys playing more in position and if Joe is a solid defender. Also let’s hope the effort & coaching improves.

We are a good 3pt shooting team so we will continue to shoot 3s. Hopefully they are good shots and we continue to work it into our frontcourt as well to Cook and Garza.
Michigan has the athletes to get back on defense. We don't.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think giving up too many fast break points was an issue for us. I think our overall halfcourt D was. I think if we D up more and get some more run outs via rebounds or whatever ourselves would solve more issues than us taking less 3s when that'll be our biggest strength. The fact we can have 4 good capable 3 pt shooters on the floor all the time is something to embrace not go away from...

Here is the conservative math on how to get to 300:

JBo: 95 (96 last year)

Moss: 50 (49 last year)

Weiskamp: 40 (Dailey made 28 last year in only 16.5 minutes per game)

Dailey: 30 (28 last year)

Baer: 30 (23 last year; 46 in 16-17)

Nunge: 25 (19 last year)

Garza: 20 (16 last year)

The rest: 10 (Cmac, Cook, Kriener combined for 4 last year but Cmac barely played)

That’s 300 right there and all those estimates are fairly conservative with Weiskamp the only unknown. I think they can do even better than that.
JBo will hit 100 plus ;)...(I hope)
But yeah Weiskamp is a bit of a wild card not knowing how he'll fit in. The rest of your guesses will have to be darn close. Garza and Nunge could both possibly improve drastically. They both started off pretty slow last yr. I wouldn't bet a lot on it but I think it's more likely than them hitting less of them is.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think giving up too many fast break points was an issue for us. I think our overall halfcourt D was. I think if we D up more and get some more run outs via rebounds or whatever ourselves would solve more issues than us taking less 3s when that'll be our biggest strength. The fact we can have 4 good capable 3 pt shooters on the floor all the time is something to embrace not go away from...
I think there were issues in transition and half court defense. I'm simply telling you that as a coach, if my team is really bad at defense, I'm shooting fewer 3 pt shots by design. Especially if I have the forwards/centers to score inside. I want to slow the game down and take away run out baskets against my defense. This isn't something I invented. It's in the coaching 101 category. You either have to replace your poor defenders with better defenders, or you have to change the way you play the game.
We can't continue to play up tempo basketball with lesser athletes. If we do, we'll keep losing games.

I think there were issues in transition and half court defense. I'm simply telling you that as a coach, if my team is really bad at defense, I'm shooting fewer 3 pt shots by design. Especially if I have the forwards/centers to score inside. I want to slow the game down and take away run out baskets against my defense. This isn't something I invented. It's in the coaching 101 category. You either have to replace your poor defenders with better defenders, or you have to change the way you play the game.
We can't continue to play up tempo basketball with lesser athletes. If we do, we'll keep losing games.

I agree that you have to have the athletes to play up tempo. When a team plays to fast against a superior athletic team, there are going to be holes in the game plan. I think Iowa is going to be more athletic this year though. Barring injuries they should be alright.

I'm not sure how you go about doing that though. Coach would be an idiot if your encouraging JBo and Moss to shoot less. I want Moss playing more aggressive and not passing up open looks. Like it or not the 3 is a bigger part of the game and unless you have a Shaq or dominant old school post player getting touches inside I don't think you'll see any sort of slow down of 3s going up. In general or with this specific group.

Iowa was 227th in the country in 3pt shots attempted per game last year. Jacking a bunch of threes was not this teams issue even if you want to make it that for the purposes of your argument. Sorry.

Iowa was however a decent 3pt shooting team in terms of percentage (53rd in the country). I expect the percentage to improve this year with the addition of Weiskamp and improvement from others.

If good shooters are getting good looks from three you take them, plain and simple.

Iowa was 227th in the country in 3pt shots attempted per game last year. Jacking a bunch of threes was not this teams issue even if you want to make it that for the purposes of your argument. Sorry.

Iowa was however a decent 3pt shooting team in terms of percentage (53rd in the country). I expect the percentage to improve this year with the addition of Weiskamp and improvement from others.

If good shooters are getting good looks from three you take them, plain and simple.

Iowa had 672 3 pt. attempts last year, which averages out to little more than 20 attempts per game. All I am advocating for is getting that number into the 25 or 26 attempts per game range.

Iowa allowed their opponents to shoot 37.6% from 3 last year. According to KenPom that was 307th in the country. That's just flat out garbage. That number has to come down at least a couple of percentage points or we are just wasting our time because Iowa will be the team they were last year.

I'm not sure how you go about doing that though. Coach would be an idiot if your encouraging JBo and Moss to shoot less. I want Moss playing more aggressive and not passing up open looks. Like it or not the 3 is a bigger part of the game and unless you have a Shaq or dominant old school post player getting touches inside I don't think you'll see any sort of slow down of 3s going up. In general or with this specific group.
Then you prepare yourself for another NCAA tourney-less season.

I didn't say it was their issue last season . I said they needed to shoot LESS 3s this season, to help improve their defense. And there is a whopping 6 attempts per game difference between the 227th place and the 27th place teams. 6 whole attempts.

Iowa had 672 3 pt. attempts last year, which averages out to little more than 20 attempts per game. All I am advocating for is getting that number into the 25 or 26 attempts per game range.
25 or 26 attempts per game is top 30 - 50 range in D-1 basketball.

25 or 26 attempts per game is top 30 - 50 range in D-1 basketball.
If we can continue to make them at a .375 clip or better with that many attempts I’d say keep firing them. That’s a big if, but as my OP states we have a lot of proven 3pt threats.

.375% x 3 = 1.125 point per possession

1.125 points per possession would be good for 15th in the country. I know we have to improve our defense, but there so many areas we can improve there.

If three point shooting is a strength, I say you play to your strength.

Last edited:

Latest posts