Band Member's Social Media Post

Dude, this site is literally about the only "social media" I use, but even I know there are people in trouble all the time for shit they were dumb enough to post!
Not saying people aren't dumb enough to do, it just takes a whole different level of dumb to do it.

If you don't want to name names or be specific I get it. I really do.

But that same person can't expect something specific to happen in response, especially since as serious a situation as this is, it's absurd to not assume it got reported to police who would be investigating.

This kid seems to want some sort of sweeping changes and heads to roll overnight, all based on super vague info.

How would we feel if this accusation was made against Iowa fans with this kind of evidence?
I would hope that when talking to the school or law enforcement he would be more specific. And might have/probably was.

I don't think you make a post like that on social media to inform the cops. You do it to get the interest of the media. You do it to keep a tiny spark of interest on this issue going after it was stomped out by groups whose interests encompass more than just the band's.

I think Pollard told Barta if you pursue this, then we will have no choice but to inform the public about our experiences at Kinnick during past games. I think he called Bart's bluff, and Gutless Gary folded like a cheap deck of playing cards.

I think Pollard told Barta if you pursue this, then we will have no choice but to inform the public about our experiences at Kinnick during past games. I think he called Bart's bluff, and Gutless Gary folded like a cheap deck of playing cards.

As someone said earlier. This is above Gary's paygrade!! He is just a hack who is compromised.

JFC . He recently got a 25% raise!!

Not saying people aren't dumb enough to do, it just takes a whole different level of dumb to do it.
And you think nobody in a big group of drunk angry clown fans could hit that level of dumb?

There wasn't one person who took the video, stumbled home later, and posted the video ("this is gonna be viral!") before passing out?

Or one non-drunk passerby who saw something?

One Hawkeye parent / fan / reporter?

I'm just not buying the idea that nobody got a video, or that everybody who did would keep it to themselves.

Look, this isn't some moon bat making a claim against a SCOTUS justice 30 years after the fact. It sounds like there are actual witnesses and if we have some broken ribs combined with testimony from multiple witnesses, that is pretty good evidence that something went down.

BlueLipsbat-wif-redmoon22.gif

:cool:

Just a couple things...

1. While trying to piece this together, how does this matter tie directly to Barta and the athletic department? I'm not commenting on whether or not Barta handled this well, but in terms of his duties as AD, is he ultimately responsible for the handling of this matter or is this something that falls outside of the athletic department and more so on the university as a whole?

2. In my opinion, as I expressed in a different thread, this is a student safety issue. The difference between being able to keep the athletes safe as opposed to fans/other participants is the fact that we are able to keep the athletes (for the most part) separate from the fans. Athletes don't go into the stands or outside the confines of the field/court and for the most part fans/spectators are kept off the field/court and prevented from direct interaction with the players during the course of the game as well as before and after, within reason.

Obviously alcohol and the "asshole" fans are a part of gameday, so how do you really protect a group such as the band, who is dressed in school uniforms and representing, in this case, the visiting team when there is very little that can be done to keep the band and the fans from interacting. I said it before, but does the visiting team really need to bring a band on the road with them? I'm not a fan of marching bands in general, and not taking a side in the debate, but is it rally a good idea to provide "targets" for the idiot fans and drunks to take their frustrations out on without being reasonably able to protect those that are being put in that situation?

I guess I just don't understand the benefits of taking a band on road trips.

Edit: I guess I just don't see how this is an athletic department issue and not a university issue as a matter of public safety.

This is a consequence of athletic departments being too big and let's be honest not really serving the mission of a university. I am sure in those secret board meetings they remind "administrators" that not only are they are self-funded but they fill the coffers etc.

Until they F up for whatever reason and then your feckless presidents are worthless. Or compromised themselves. Or both.

Jesus this isn't rocket science. This involves our two largest universities. There is a lot to lose here. A few students, band members, football players, whomever, are expendable.

I would hope that when talking to the school or law enforcement he would be more specific. And might have/probably was.

I don't think you make a post like that on social media to inform the cops. You do it to get the interest of the media. You do it to keep a tiny spark of interest on this issue going after it was stomped out by groups whose interests encompass more than just the band's.
But what no one can answer for me, is with all this rage, what do you want GB or the athletic department to do?

Is it to make a statement of some sort?

Is it to "investigate?" If it's a serious physical/sexual assault or assaults, do not the police have it in their hands? If an investigation is what you want, what are the possible results or outcomes that you want to see from it? Be specific...an "investigation" for investigation's sake is merely lip service.

Is Barta supposed to pay band members $5K for their pain and suffering? If that's the case would we not have to wait for the conclusion of any criminal investigation?

If you're saying the athletic department "isn't doing anything," or needs to do something, please for the love of Pete tell us what that something is. None of us can have discourse about not getting the results you or the students want without knowing what the results that they want are.

A home and home against anyone in the Pac10, SEC Or ACC needs to replace this game...

Think about what’s being alleged. I have no reason to not believe them.
Assault with injury?
Sexual assault?
This directed at 20 year olds in a BAND?

This anger over 22 young men chasing a fucking football?!
Sweet Jesus help us all.

A home and home against anyone in the Pac10, SEC Or ACC needs to replace this game...

Think about what’s being alleged. I have no reason to not believe them.
Assault with injury?
Sexual assault?
This directed at 20 year olds in a BAND?

This anger over 22 young men chasing a fucking football?!
Sweet Jesus help us all.
Not to make light of the situation, but I'll volunteer to take a couple broken ribs and a beer dumped on my head to get right of that dogshit game every year.

Someone should tell this kid how this works. The burden of proof lies with the accuser. If there isn't any, how can an investigation be continued? The police say they weren't notified at the time of the event. The school's put out a presser condemning it. If there was some sort of proof, or if the individual had been apprehended at the time of the incident then I would expect the investigation would continue. How can arrests be made? What would the correct action be in his mind be? How does the UofI not have their backs?

Are you kidding me. Isnt Eye Witness testimony evidence. If even one other member of the band or a fan who was nearby can say they saw any physical pushing, shoving, beer spraying etc then that is evidence and close to proof. The more eye witnesses the better the evidence and amount of proof.

I can tell you havent really thought this over from a legal standpoint or standpoint of an investigation. If a band member was shoved and somehow got injured during that shove I would have to be 99% sure other band members were eye witnesses since they were in marching formation.

I will wait to hear more about any eye witness info and will be very surprised if there isnt any eye witnesses

Are you kidding me. Isnt Eye Witness testimony evidence. If even one other member of the band or a fan who was nearby can say they saw any physical pushing, shoving, beer spraying etc then that is evidence and close to proof. The more eye witnesses the better the evidence and amount of proof.

I can tell you havent really thought this over from a legal standpoint or standpoint of an investigation. If a band member was shoved and somehow got injured during that shove I would have to be 99% sure other band members were eye witnesses since they were in marching formation.

I will wait to hear more about any eye witness info and will be very surprised if there isnt any eye witnesses

I miss where I said there were no eye witnesses? I am sure there are a ton. I am not contesting at all that something happened. I'm not contesting there were witnesses. But how can you make an arrest unless there is evidence or proof of who did it. That's kind of how our judicial and law process works, I've really thought it out and I am pretty sure that's how law enforcement gets convictions. They can't charge all ISU fans in this instance.

But what no one can answer for me, is with all this rage, what do you want GB or the athletic department to do?

Is it to make a statement of some sort?

Is it to "investigate?" If it's a serious physical/sexual assault or assaults, do not the police have it in their hands? If an investigation is what you want, what are the possible results or outcomes that you want to see from it? Be specific...an "investigation" for investigation's sake is merely lip service.

Is Barta supposed to pay band members $5K for their pain and suffering? If that's the case would we not have to wait for the conclusion of any criminal investigation?

If you're saying the athletic department "isn't doing anything," or needs to do something, please for the love of Pete tell us what that something is. None of us can have discourse about not getting the results you or the students want without knowing what the results that they want are.
I am just trying to see this through the eyes of this kid.

I don't want Iowa's AD to do anything at this point. I don't want ISU's AD to do anything.

I want the band members involved to file a police report with the real police, not the ISU University Police.

I am just trying to see this through the eyes of this kid.

I don't want Iowa's AD to do anything at this point. I don't want ISU's AD to do anything.

I want the band members involved to file a police report with the real police, not the ISU University Police.
I wasn't really asking you per se, but this kid barking about it is like a person watching a house burn down and yelling "SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING!!!" Well, what exactly do you want done (from the Ath Dept) Corey? Outrage for the sake of outrage is dumb.

To me this isn't about trying to find the people that did this, it would be difficult to do. This is about Barta getting pissed off, sticking up for the students of the University of Iowa and making some noise......exactly what Pollard would have done had the situations been reversed. Instead, he went into his usually ass kissing, sweep it under the rug mode, His PR instincts are non-existent. "Nothing to see here, move on." This is why the vast majority of fans regard him as a POS.

Well said and if they were sticking up for the band and all UI students then there would be a very heated condemnation of this type of thuggery and more investigation with any results given to the public.

There arent security cams at that game and outside the stadium either?????

What can you do??? Cancel the next two games in Ames and or the series for 4 years.

Or Tell ISU they cant bring their band to Iowa City.

Or tell ISU they have to have 10 feet of empty seats all around the Iowa Band during the game in Ames.

Or let some other people investigate.

You know the Iowa Corn Growers Assoc, Farm Bureau, etc etc wants this swept under the rug so as not to hurt the multimillion dollar promotional GAME.

I was about to puke listening to Dolph on the pre-game say "Iowa Corn" and "Iowa Corn Growers" about 50 times in 10 minutes during and interview of people from these organizations in which is was basically a 10 minute commercial which had nothing to do with the game but a lot of lining people's pockets.

I will just skip the radio pregame from now on as I usually only listen to Eddie P.