Badger Football Hire a Lesson for Iowa?

So one example of a coach who went to ISU and stayed there for 2 years makes me wrong?

And I never denied the fact that a hot mid-major coach would be in the running for the Iowa job so that part of your post has absolutely no point.

There's plenty more examples of the "hot" major conference coordinator going to schools less desireable than Iowa. That one example doesn't make you wrong, the fact that it happens routinely makes you wrong.

Once the fear of failure trumps the bloodlust for victory, it's all over! Just ask KF... If you think Iowa wins more than 4 games in 2013, you are delusional. 5 minutes into opening day 2012, anyone could see the season would be an extension of 2011's downward spiral. 5 minutes into the 2013 season will re-visit that same helpless feeling for most fans. Kirk is on record as saying, "he is comfortable with everything." This is a new way of saying nothing will change, we just need to get better at doing what doesn't work.

Don't know how many games they will win because I haven't looked at the non-conference schedule. But I think the rest of your post is spot on.

FreedComanche

1) I did not see the list of applicants for the job. Did you? If so, please post names so we can evaluate who might have been a better hire than Brian Ferentz.
2) "Natural improvement"? Put that on your loan application the next time you go to the bank looking for money to improve your house, see how far that goes.

So you have no clue who applied but are just going to assume that BF was given the job because of KF? Makes sense.

You dont know who applied but just know there had to have been a better applicant than BF? Makes sense.

Jon,

It seems the premise you base your article on is this: Ferentz can turn this around.

I don't think you really believe that. I think you have to give the impression that you do believe that because if you do not, you run the risk of being shut out at Iowa City with ferentz and Iowa contacts.

FreedComanche

Not my premise. While I think he can, my premise is that some feel its just plug and play at Iowa. Next coach in, Iowa will make a great hire and be fine. I don't see it that way

Not my premise. While I think he can, my premise is that some feel its just plug and play at Iowa. Next coach in, Iowa will make a great hire and be fine. I don't see it that way

That's true everywhere - Rodriguez at Michigan, Shula at Alabama, Zook at Florida, Tollner/Smith at USC, Davies/Willingham/Weis at ND, Gibbs at Oklahoma, Callahan at Nebraska. Those are just off the top of my head. Iowa is in no way immune from a bad hire.

Why do you think he can turn this around now? Because he has in the past? No doubt that he's done it twice, but remember he had good recruiters on his staff then. He does not now, and that is why Iowa is one of only 2 big ten schools not to have a 4 start rercruit in this year's class.

Help me understand why you think he can turn it around please.

FreedComanche

I knew I'd be peeing into the wind with this because the Ferentz lynch mob would not like it. That's ok.
More like peeing down my back and telling me its raining. We've taken two steps back the last three years with no sign of change.

Why do you think he can turn this around now? Because he has in the past? No doubt that he's done it twice, but remember he had good recruiters on his staff then. He does not now, and that is why Iowa is one of only 2 big ten schools not to have a 4 start rercruit in this year's class.

Help me understand why you think he can turn it around please.

FreedComanche

A much better question would be "Why is he in a position in year 14 to have to turn it around?" Therein lies the question and the answer as to why people want to see him gone.

Another important element missing from JD's comparisson, is many big time coaches and even rising stars will choose to not work for an iconic AD such as Barry. Most stars desire latitude and not working with their bosse's hands on their shoulders; which may be part of the reason BB left, as he felt he had outgrown Barry's shawdow. Imagine the additional pressure that would follow a Badger win in Pasedena, while being coached by the aforementioned icon who stepped off the golf course to get it done. Are you going to be expected to match the AARP member who had been retired from coaching? Sure you are! In IC, there is no such impediment to doing it your way with Simple Gary spending his time fumbling to free himself from his puppet strings!

Im not sure Ferentz can turn it around either. Even when Iowa was struggling in 06 and 07, they were still not physically outmatched, especially at the LOS. That was also in a much tougher Big 10. This years Big 10 was dog **** and Iowa's schedule was even worse. There was no physical mismatch against Northern Illinois or Central Michigan. They were completely outmanned by Northwestern and Indiana had better talent. Thank God Jerry Kill was still on the Max Shortell experiment when the Gophers came, hes worse than Vandenberg. They caught MSU in a monsoon with a qb that couldnt move the ball either, they were just worse than Iowa that day and someone had to win. Iowa is much further in the crapper than they were after the 06 and 07 seasons. It comes down to recruiting and Iowa's staff took a vacation for a few years in that regard and that bill has come due.

Misses the point, Jon. There is always a risk in making a change. Always. You are making an argument that is not really even an argument, or relevant.

The more crucial point is that 14 years into his tenure at Iowa, Kirk Ferentz is exhibiting a comfort level with the current state of the program that is troublesome to many people who love the Hawks. His stubbornness and reluctance to try anything new rivals the military's or a hospital's and do not suggest he has any clue or even the passion to take concrete, discernible steps necessary to make Iowa a conference contender again. Meanwhile, programs around the Big Ten appear to have made substantial upgrades in coaches and talent. Ferentz is being left behind.

Misses the point, Jon. There is always a risk in making a change. Always. You are making an argument that is not really even an argument, or relevant.

The more crucial point is that 14 years into his tenure at Iowa, Kirk Ferentz is exhibiting a comfort level with the current state of the program that is troublesome to many people who love the Hawks. His stubbornness and reluctance to try anything news rivals the military's or a hospital's and do not suggest he has any clue or even the passion to take concrete, discernible steps necessary to make Iowa a conference contender again. Meanwhile, programs around the Big Ten appear to have made substantial upgrades in coaches and talent. Ferentz is being left behind.

Not to mention if Andersen actually succeeds at Wisconsin, then it completely disproves the point Jon was trying to make. This article is like grading a draft they day after it happens. There's no actual evidence to back up Jon's point.

I knew I'd be peeing into the wind with this because the Ferentz lynch mob would not like it. That's ok.

Out in the real world, is it considered "lynching," when the shareholders expect performance from a CEO with 14 years on the job who is being compensated at the top of his profession?

I'm certainly disappointed in KF the last few years, but I'm not ready to pull the plug. I agree with Jon that making the right hire at Iowa is critical. We aren't a program that can easily recover from a period of losing should we hire the wrong coach. We know what we have with Ferentz. It's an unknown universe if we have a new coach. All speculation.

I'd be terrified if Kirk left while Barta is the AD. I wouldn't trust Barta to hire a staff for a McDonald's after he hired Lickliter. Anyone who thought Lickliter was a "good fit" for Iowa obviously didn't know what he was doing. The Bball program is recovering under Fran, but the damage created by hiring the wrong guy for the football program would be monumental. I don't think Barta can do it.

Again, some people think that it's just a given that when Iowa makes a change, its up and to the right. I don't see it that way and am not ready to kick Kirk to the curb.

I'm certainly disappointed in KF the last few years, but I'm not ready to pull the plug. I agree with Jon that making the right hire at Iowa is critical. We aren't a program that can easily recover from a period of losing should we hire the wrong coach. We know what we have with Ferentz. It's an unknown universe if we have a new coach. All speculation.

I'd be terrified if Kirk left while Barta is the AD. I wouldn't trust Barta to hire a staff for a McDonald's after he hired Lickliter. Anyone who thought Lickliter was a "good fit" for Iowa obviously didn't know what he was doing. The Bball program is recovering under Fran, but the damage created by hiring the wrong guy for the football program would be monumental. I don't think Barta can do it.

I am more willing than you are to call for a change at the top. But I wholeheartedly agree with your second graf.

More monumental than back to back 8 loss seasons following a 6 loss season?

Latest posts