Are you willing to give FM credit?

I think we could be worse than Alf or Lick with a new coach. You just don't know. Is the Wisconsin coach going to figure things out? Or was last night the new reality for the Badgers? How did the previous coach at Illinois work out? Hiring a coach is far from an exact science.

I'm not in disagreement that its far from an exact science, but as you said you simply don't know. My point is that Fran very easily may not get the program back on track and then what? At that time not only could we be in free fall mode for another season or two, but then we'd have to start rebuilding and throw away another season or two. All I'm saying is despite what the future might hold with a new coach, if Fran's most likely not going to be resigned or terminated in a year or two then why not cut your losses now.

I think we should all look at Wisconsin as a cautionary tale. You change coaches, and things are not guaranteed to get better, or even stay the same. We could easily hire the next Alford or lick if we fire Frank.
Or we could easily hire the next Lute Olson.

You are showing a defeatist attitude. Unfortunately years of mediocrity has hammered this mindset into the Iowa fan base. Fear of change because "it could be worse". (and for the record, I am not calling for Fran to be fired after this season)

Pretty fair assessment of them.

In regards to this game. I just think Wisconsin is in rougher shape then we are. And that's saying something. It's weird for Wisconsin to have no outside shooters but they obviously don't. Their big guy Happ should almost consider transferring unless they have obvious help on the way. He's a one man show there and it's not going to get any easier for him without help.

Both Iowa and Wisconsin are both really young. I can buy Wisky having a bad year as this is kind of new to them. They usually do a good job of transitioning classes and talent. In addition, they had two out with injuries last night. I think Iowa would still have won.

Iowa is young as well but does have experience with those young players, so should be ahead and a bit ahead of where they are as a team.

You are showing a defeatist attitude. Unfortunately years of mediocrity has hammered this mindset into the Iowa fan base. Fear of change because "it could be worse". (and for the record, I am not calling for Fran to be fired after this season)

I guess my take is its worth the gamble when you've already managed to play your way out of the tournament before February.

If we could easily hire a good coach, we would. There is nothing easy about it.

Yes that could happen.
But let's say your wife cheated on you. You could divorce her, or you could say to yourself, "If I divorce her I'm eventually gonna get remarried. And my next wife could cheat on me AND be lazy. So I'll stick with the cheater."
That's torturing logic and doesn't result in a happy marriage.
If your wife cheats on you, you are under no obligation to get another one. That's where your analogy falls apart. Fire Frank, and you have to hire someone else.

Honestly, fool me once, shame on you, fool me for 8 seasons, shame on me. I hope this team finishes the way they are supposed to but forgive me for being skeptical. The “comeback “ at Illinois was supposed to be the turning point, and we saw the effort in NJ. I didn’t watch a second of the last two games. I hope they do what they are supposed to do, but I am not investing any time or emotion into the rest of this season.

Next year is the telling year.
That is for sure. A lot of Juniors and sophs will be leading the team. But a monkey wrench like say a Cook leaving or JBo getting hurt. Or Garza leaving/not playing for any reason would be all it take. Any one of those would/could derail them. There's going to be a ton on Garzas shoulders next year. I hope he's up for it.
I'd love to see Iowa spread the floor better in the halfcourt. I'd love to see them play more inside out with Cook on the post. Garza I think shoots better from the wings or top of the key as opposed to the corners so put him out there and swing that ball around. I'm as ok with him catching and shooting it out there as just about anyone else now.

So what I'm seeing here is, no credit to Fran for last night's win. One poster even thinks doing so is "shining Fran's pole." :rolleyes: Tough crowd.

You're trolling a little with this thread. But that's okay, everyone's opinion is a troll to someone.
You called for a pat on the back for Fran. Here ya go.

pat-on-back-clipart-14.png

My fear of what's next is absolutely not the reason I want to retain Fran. Iowa can attract plenty of good coaches. I personally, before this season, liked the program's trajectory. I liked having a 1st team All B1G performer for 4 straight seasons. I thought his classes were getting better. I thought he was locking down the state and getting some good kids from out of state (Cook, Nunge and Garza) - I saw progress even if we missed the dance last season. I personally don't want to blow it all up the second the going gets rough. I get why others do though and I don't begrudge anyone for feeling that way as long as it's paired with some objective feed back. There are plenty of good points made for Fran being fired IMO, just not in the camp.

If we could easily hire a good coach, we would. There is nothing easy about it.
I was merely using the same word as the poster I was replying to, who said we could "easily" hire the next Alford or Lick.

No, hiring a good coach is not easy. But to avoid getting rid of an underperforming coach out of fear of getting a worse one, is stupid. Again...I am not calling for Fran to be fired...just speaking in general terms.

Sure I give Fran credit, but it's one good game against a crappy Wisconsin team. It doesn't change much.. Still just 2-7. Isn't "It's just one game" what everyone says after a bad loss, too? That knife cuts both ways.

That said, it's a step in the right direction and the Hawks actually looked like something resembling a decent basketball team last night.

I want to see this team bring that kind of effort through the rest of the season and then I'll be convinced that Fran is turning this season around as opposed to just a flash in the plan victory. I remember one of Lickliter's teams blowing out ISU one year and the ensuing "Give Lickliter A Blank Check" thread. People get too worked up over single games, for better or worse.

I don't expect Iowa will win every game, but play with last night's effort and they should win some, and that would indicate to me that there's progress. That's what I want to see the next month and a half or so. Next year is a different story, but just looking for some glimpses of promise.

I was merely using the same word as the poster I was replying to, who said we could "easily" hire the next Alford or Lick.

No, hiring a good coach is not easy. But to avoid getting rid of an underperforming coach out of fear of getting a worse one, is stupid. Again...I am not calling for Fran to be fired...just speaking in general terms.
If an AD does not weigh the possibility of hiring a coach that will underperoform the one he is considering cutting loose, he does not know what he is doing. It is a real possibility.

My fear of what's next is absolutely not the reason I want to retain Fran. Iowa can attract plenty of good coaches. I personally, before this season, liked the program's trajectory. I liked having a 1st team All B1G performer for 4 straight seasons. I thought his classes were getting better. I thought he was locking down the state and getting some good kids from out of state (Cook, Nunge and Garza) - I saw progress even if we missed the dance last season. I personally don't want to blow it all up the second the going gets rough. I get why others do though and I don't begrudge anyone for feeling that way as long as it's paired with some objective feed back. There are plenty of good points made for Fran being fired IMO, just not in the camp.

Agree 100% I think half the time the mentality is it has to be personal if there's a differing opinion. I tend to see it as we all want the same thing we just have different ideas on what is needed to get to that point. Personally I enjoy the discussions as we're all passionate about the program and its a great way to get things off our chest and pass the time.

If an AD does not weigh the possibility of hiring a coach that will underperoform the one he is considering cutting loose, he does not know what he is doing. It is a real possibility.

I think we all may in agreement that outside of the fund raising and generating revenue that our AD probably doesn't know what he's doing.

Latest posts