Are you willing to give FM credit?

It is a disappointing year compared with the expectations, but Iowa did have a lot of injuries early in the year. Hopefully, they are coming together.

I think we could be worse than Alf or Lick with a new coach. You just don't know. Is the Wisconsin coach going to figure things out? Or was last night the new reality for the Badgers? How did the previous coach at Illinois work out? Hiring a coach is far from an exact science.

We might be on our way to being worse than Lick right now.
One more win and this team ties the '63 team for fewest conference wins in 54 YEARS.

Last time Iowa only won 3 Big Ten games?
THE BEATLES WERE ON ED SULLIVAN.
Think about that for a second.

But yeah, there is a chance they might avoid that distinction, and prolong Fran's reign, by winning a few more.
Last night showed a tiny glimmer of hope with Garza's effort.
But Wisc totally blows.

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks Wisc will turn things around before Iowa?

Hey...I'll give Fran credit...his team showed heart and played hard. Honestly, that was all I was asking for. Several games it just looked like guys were thinking too much and not playing fast or aggressive. Trust me, it wasn't beautiful or anything...but they guarded people...and hustled, and expended energy. That gives me hope.

With the dwindling support FM has on these boards, I'm wondering if any of those calling for his head is willing to give him credit for getting the team to give the inspired performance they did against WI.

I'm not one calling for his head, but I was impressed with the effort vs WI and think FM should receive at least a pat on the back for it. What say you?

Did you also notice that he shortened the rotation? He played only 9 guys, with Nunge only playing 2 minutes... so essentially went with just 8 guys.

With the dwindling support FM has on these boards, I'm wondering if any of those calling for his head is willing to give him credit for getting the team to give the inspired performance they did against WI.

I'm not one calling for his head, but I was impressed with the effort vs WI and think FM should receive at least a pat on the back for it. What say you?
People who were done with Fran were being told to shut up and wait for the season to bear out so I don't see how on win equates to them needing to eat crow. This could be the last win of the season or the start of a run. We'll see.

Or we could easily hire the next Lute Olson.

You are showing a defeatist attitude. Unfortunately years of mediocrity has hammered this mindset into the Iowa fan base. Fear of change because "it could be worse". (and for the record, I am not calling for Fran to be fired after this season)

Is it a defeatist attitude to not demand better weather in Iowa? I have just as much control over that as I do Iowa basketball results.

Is it a defeatist attitude to not demand better weather in Iowa? I have just as much control over that as I do Iowa basketball results.
Not true. If you get 15,000 Iowa fans to yell for it to stop raining you get nothing. If you get 15,000 Iowa fans to protest outside of the AD's house I bet something happens.

Hey...I'll give Fran credit...his team showed heart and played hard. Honestly, that was all I was asking for. Several games it just looked like guys were thinking too much and not playing fast or aggressive. Trust me, it wasn't beautiful or anything...but they guarded people...and hustled, and expended energy. That gives me hope.

What did you think when Iowa was up by 9 at the half? I thought they were going to lose. I thought Iverson was going to continue to get into the lane and dominate. Glad I was wrong. Iowa's pysche is so fragile they could easily go 2-7 in the next 9.

My fear of what's next is absolutely not the reason I want to retain Fran. Iowa can attract plenty of good coaches. I personally, before this season, liked the program's trajectory. I liked having a 1st team All B1G performer for 4 straight seasons. I thought his classes were getting better. I thought he was locking down the state and getting some good kids from out of state (Cook, Nunge and Garza) - I saw progress even if we missed the dance last season. I personally don't want to blow it all up the second the going gets rough. I get why others do though and I don't begrudge anyone for feeling that way as long as it's paired with some objective feed back. There are plenty of good points made for Fran being fired IMO, just not in the camp.

That's what the guys who have always wanted Fran fired don't get. They think we are ok with the results. But it's more about us thinking Fran will have better results in the future.

We were right for a few years. We are wrong this year. But before this year, if I had to guess on who can get us better results faster between Fran and a random new coach, I would have bet on Fran. That's why before this year I wasn't even close to thinking it was a good idea to get rid of him. Now I'm more in the 50/50 category. But it's not because I'm afraid of someone new. It's becasue there is still an average chance that Fran's best days are ahead. Just like I think the odds are average that a new coach will be better than Fran has been these last 6 years.

Not true. If you get 15,000 Iowa fans to yell for it to stop raining you get nothing. If you get 15,000 Iowa fans to protest outside of the AD's house I bet something happens.

Lol at the thought of me driving to Iowa city and storming the AD's office. I would have to be the biggest loser in the world to do that at this stage of my life.

Not to mention how big of a loser fan base we would have to be to go to that extreme at this point. We would make national news and be the laughing stock of the country.

Lol at the thought of me driving to Iowa city and storming the AD's office. I would have to be the biggest loser in the world to do that at this stage of my life.

Not to mention how big of a loser fan base we would have to be to go to that extreme at this point. We would make national news and be the laughing stock of the country.
I'm not saying THAT is merited now over Fran (or Kirk for that matter) I'm saying it would matter, unlike wishing about the weather as was given as an example of how fans have "no control" which is just patently false.

It really does depend on context. Impartial observers generally thought Tennessee football fans were being a little nuts but I don't recall anyone thinking the Michigan student body was losers when they protested outside the president's office resulting in the AD being fired and Harbaugh being hired.

Winning is good. But as much as I have been a Fran fan overall, this year has shaken my belief. I'm still leasing with an option to buy or sell next year.

Still defensive and lineup concerns. The remainder of the year and beginning of next will provide clarity, for me.

I say all of this knowing there is almost zero chance of Fran being fired this year.

Winning is good. But as much as I have been a Fran fan overall, this year has shaken my belief. I'm still leasing with an option to buy or sell next year.

Still defensive and lineup concerns. The remainder of the year and beginning of next will provide clarity, for me.

I say all of this knowing there is almost zero chance of Fran being fired this year.

This has been a painful year to endure. There is a ton of criticism to go around, For the most part, well earned. Last night's win against the Badgers has renewed the prospect of hope for the future.....

We shall see. Pieces are starting to fall into place, much later that I anticipated it would. It would certainly be rewarding to see the improvement continuing.....

:cool:

Did you also notice that he shortened the rotation? He played only 9 guys, with Nunge only playing 2 minutes... so essentially went with just 8 guys.
This was the key to the game. Starters played a lot of minutes together with minimum subs. No more hockey like substitution patterns.

Was it a one time thing? I sure hope not.

That's what the guys who have always wanted Fran fired don't get. They think we are ok with the results. But it's more about us thinking Fran will have better results in the future.

We were right for a few years. We are wrong this year. But before this year, if I had to guess on who can get us better results faster between Fran and a random new coach, I would have bet on Fran. That's why before this year I wasn't even close to thinking it was a good idea to get rid of him. Now I'm more in the 50/50 category. But it's not because I'm afraid of someone new. It's becasue there is still an average chance that Fran's best days are ahead. Just like I think the odds are average that a new coach will be better than Fran has been these last 6 years.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but check out Jay Wright's run at Villanova. Iowa won't win a national title, but you can envision where Fran gets to an elite 8, maybe a final 4 in year 10, year 12. Is that worth keeping him around?

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but check out Jay Wright's run at Villanova. Iowa won't win a national title, but you can envision where Fran gets to an elite 8, maybe a final 4 in year 10, year 12. Is that worth keeping him around?

Hell yea it would be. Especially if we made 3 of the next 5 starting next year and ending with the big run you suggest. It won't be great until then (pretty average really). But average for 10 years, then one big run, then maybe average for 2 more, then new coach. Our program will have a great foundation to try for that next level again.

All that said, before this year, my assumption was that the next 5 years would be better than what I just said in my post. Now I'm 50/50 that it will be exactly what I said.

I can't actually envision that when the guy either cannot or will not recruit a point guard or coach defense. I'm not being a troll... I literally cannot remotely fathom an elite 8 or final 4 from Fran given what he's shown so far even at his absolute best.

I'm not saying THAT is merited now over Fran (or Kirk for that matter) I'm saying it would matter, unlike wishing about the weather as was given as an example of how fans have "no control" which is just patently false.

It really does depend on context. Impartial observers generally thought Tennessee football fans were being a little nuts but I don't recall anyone thinking the Michigan student body was losers when they protested outside the president's office resulting in the AD being fired and Harbaugh being hired.

I thought I said "I" have no control in my original post. Maybe I didn't and I'm too lazy to go back and look. But "I" do have a 0% chance of affecting the program. And unless I win a huge Powerball jackpot, that will never change, and frankly, I don't want it to.

Now if I do win a huge jackpot (200 million or more) I will have a huge say in what goes on.

I thought I said "I" have no control in my original post. Maybe I didn't and I'm too lazy to go back and look. But "I" do have a 0% chance of affecting the program. And unless I win a huge Powerball jackpot, that will never change, and frankly, I don't want it to.

Now if I do win a huge jackpot (200 million or more) I will have a huge say in what goes on.

You hit that jackpot, you should take all of HN out for a night of rowdy celebrating.....

historias-de-piratas-amaro-prago-medium.png

:cool:

Latest posts