Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love to question experts. Having said that, we have 40,000 dead now, with social distancing. That's before the peak in many states. I hope we only have 60,000 dead, but even with distancing it could be 100k. If we did nothing it would certainly be more than that.

I'd rather look at lots of models and see how they compare (Johns Hopkins, IHME, etc) than take the opinions of rando middle aged angry white dudes who "heard something from someone."

Good post but the average new cases a day in the US has been around 30000 for 3 weeks, plateaued, and people are still moving around and mingling enough that it may stay that way for weeks longer. Hate to think what the death toll will be with the strong mitigation we States are using and a logical person can see how with no mitigation at all this death rate could have been way beyond 40K now and rising fast.

Here is an interesting article on famous people and the Coronavirus. The article slams them for the most part being that the virus has stolen the spotlight from them.........

"Would you spare a thought for all the poor, suffering celebrities out there? While this is a difficult time for everyone, it has been particularly tough on the famous. They have been upstaged by a virus. No one cares what they are wearing or who they are snogging any more; the world’s attention has been diverted by a headline-hogging pandemic. It seems as if some celebrities are starting to grapple with the realisation that they are not quite as important or beloved as they thought they were.

Gal Gadot was the first victim of the great celebrity backlash of 2020. “We’re all in this together,” the Wonder Woman star assured us in a video on Instagram a couple of weeks ago, before launching into a star-studded rendition of John Lennon’s Imagine. Can you imagine how little self-awareness you must have to enlist a bunch of multimillionaires to sing about a world with “no possessions” while huge numbers of people are losing their jobs? The tone-deaf performance was swiftly savaged.

One would have thought the glitterati might have learned from the scathing reaction to Gadot’s singalong. But no, the vapid messages of hope from celebs keep coming – as do the disgusted responses from the public. Madonna, for reasons only she knows, decided to preach to us from a bathtub full of rose petals. Covid-19 “doesn’t care about how rich you are” she informed us. “It’s the great equaliser.” It certainly brought people together in disdain for her out-of-touch antics.

Then there is the billionaire David Geffen, who deleted Instagram after the incensed reaction to him posting pictures of his $590m (£480m) superyacht, on which he is self-isolating, with the caption “hope everyone is staying safe”. Faring slightly better on the social media front is Ivanka Trump, who has not yet sequestered herself on a superyacht. Instead she is selflessly educating the great unwashed by posting a video of her kids cleaning their hands with $39 Aesop soap. A real woman of the people.

Now it seems that Pharrell Williams has become the latest celebrity who is stuck inside but can’t read the room. Last week, the musician called on his Twitter followers to donate to hospitals. A representative reply: “You’re worth over $150 million, donate your own money.” Williams later clarified that he had already donated; nevertheless, it feels as if an awful lot of celebrities are more keen on soliciting money from us plebs than reaching into their own purses. The chef and TV star Bobby Flay, for example, who is said to be worth about $30 million, set up a GoFundMe campaign to help him pay his restaurant employees. That is capitalism for you: eventually you have to rely on other people’s money.

Celebrities being clueless is nothing new, but it feels as if there has never been such anger levelled at the jet set. Far from being a “great equaliser”, coronavirus has made inequality impossible to ignore. That is not just wealth inequality, but inequality of access to healthcare. A new famous person seems to test positive for coronavirus every day while exhibiting mild symptoms at best. Meanwhile, our friends and family can be coughing up their lungs and still not get access to a test or a hospital bed.

Celebrity culture and capitalism are inextricably entwined. Both elevate the individual over the collective good. They rely on the lie of “meritocracy”: work hard and you can achieve whatever you want. But it has become uncomfortably clear how little we value our hardest workers – the healthcare professionals, supermarket staff, bus drivers and delivery drivers who are keeping the world running while the rich run to their second homes. And it has never been so clear how little the people who earn the most contribute to society. “We’re all in this together,” the rich and famous keep telling us. Sorry, but it is obvious that we are not."

Ellen DeGeneres sparks backlash with coronavirus ‘jail’ joke

"One thing that I've learned from being in quarantine is that people -- this is like being in jail, is what it is," she said. "It's mostly because I've been wearing the same clothes for 10 days and everyone in here is gay."

ellen-degeneres-house-01_7f0a07e19d4be2109c77e1671445233e.fit-760w.jpg

ellen-degeneres-house-02_7c58c3eabf0b2ed8a80123dfe56c02d0.fit-760w.jpg

ellen-degeneres-house-04_bcddadb29fdeddf51801040b255d67b5.fit-760w.jpg

ellen-degeneres-house-05_116b85cb59fe4077cf2b98cf88917d97.fit-760w.jpg

ellen-degeneres-house-06_43569f50d2b432ce7ed21630d8af49c0.fit-760w.jpg

ellen-degeres-house-07_d6f5ef3e22b592763a09694f7a98ebc7.fit-760w.jpg

ellen-degeneres-house-03_917a00eaf7b83a6392ba01dfc5b7472f.fit-760w.jpg

Poor Liddle Princess

Check back around midnight as he likes to skulk around here then

I don't mind someone having a different opinion than me even if I strongly disagree with them, but TK was spouting straight bullshit half the time and insulting posters the other half.

At first I thought like you. I pretty much said "this is stupid. It's not like people aren't still going to stores. But then I put more thought in it and realized how much difference it has to make. With the country locked down, if I get it I would still give it to my family. I would maybe give it to someone at the grocery store going there a handful of times in a month. I might give it to a handful of customers since I'm still working some. But that's it.

Now say its business as usual and I get it. I would be around probably 5 times more customers. I would go to the grocery store probably 3 times more. I would go to restaurants about twice a week. I would go to the gym. My kids would go to kindergarten where they have 20 some kids each in their class. Probably every single kid would get it in both classes and give it to their parents, who would all go about their business until they felt sick.

If our whole family gets it and never feel symptoms for two weeks, the amount of interaction would be 20 times greater than the lives we've been living the last month. That might even be low balling it.

"Good points. All anyone has to do is remember what it is like at your several local bars, tap rooms, restaurants, high school or sporting events with parents etc to think how much faster and more this virus would have spread all at once without closing these places down. Plus all the people at work in the great cubicle factories of high finance, insurance, customer service, and other businesses. And then all those kids and teachers packed in K-12 school rooms. Yippee

Just several of the tap rooms and restaurants we go to in Des Moines many times are just packed. And people are talking loud, laughing hard, and expelling those little respiratory droplets farther and every one is touching everything. Man that would be like lighting the forest floor after many years without a fire, boom fast strong combustion and spread.

I doubt there are too many people out there that are truly scared.

Yes, my recollection of people's concern early on in this thread was no fear mentioned, some concern by most people but much of it was for their older friends and relatives, some of the older people on here I think definitely concerned.

We are hardly a large sample size on this thread and most all are goofy males so I would say a decent level of concern for all.

Glad to see Repub Maryland Gov was able to do deals and buy 500,000 covid tests from S Korea. Gov's wife speaks fluent Korean as a native tongue. Ohio is trying to buy their own tests.

I think Trump is just being cheap on all this spending also because it cuts into what he can give to defense contractors and in big business tax cuts. :D

Goodness, a lot of you need to step away and go outside for a LONG walk. Go think about the good times in your life and be thankful for everything you’ve ever had. Stop griping about something that is so beyond out of any of your hands. Enjoy your children, wives, pets, whatever good you still have. Life sucks right now, make the most of it. Step away for awhile.

I doubt there are too many people out there that are truly scared.

What do you think drove the hoarding and subsequent empty shelves of toilet paper? An item that has nothing to do with protecting you from and curing a virus no less.

What do you think drives people to obey the command of not going to the beaches or other outdoor activities? You know, that place out in nature in fresh air and UV light.

What drives people to obey the command of not purchasing seeds or planting a garden? Isn't the acquisition of food one of the most basic of human rights?

I could go on but if the point hasn't been made by now it never will be.

What do you think drove the hoarding and subsequent empty shelves of toilet paper? An item that has nothing to do with protecting you from and curing a virus no less.

What do you think drives people to obey the command of not going to the beaches or other outdoor activities? You know, that place out in nature in fresh air and UV light.

What drives people to obey the command of not purchasing seeds or planting a garden? Isn't the acquisition of food one of the most basic of human rights?

Preparation. Stores probably stock enough toilet paper for 20% - 50% of the population to buy at one time. If 75% of the population decide they should grab some toilet paper at the same time, there are going to be empty shelves. Then if the other 25% find out there are empty shelves, they are going to buy toilet paper the first chance they get. I'm sure there were obviously some people here and there that were buying in bulk, but for the most part, people were just being prepared. Not scared.

The other two examples are easy. They don't want to break laws and pay fines. I guess you can say I don't drive 100 everywhere I go because I'm scared. But truthfully it's just a risk reward thing not making it worth the cost of getting caught. I really wish you would have kept going because two out of your three examples were breaking laws and I don't see how not breaking laws defines someone as scared. I guess since I haven't murdered anyone yet I'm a chicken shit huh?

What do you think drove the hoarding and subsequent empty shelves of toilet paper?

What drove that? The fear of not having toilet paper. That is feared more than death. Ever been overseas when you don't have any? Not having a toilet is bad enough..

The concern of some idiot being out there sick and spreading the germs. Also not wanting to see college students being stupid.

Boredom and having time to do something you always wanted to do. I'm a heavy duty gardener and it takes a lot of time to do it right. Most fail because of lack of time. Now many have more time on their hands.

Now let's talk realistically. We almost froze the financial system in 08. This is much worse. Todays oil meltdown will blow up some hedgefunds. This will blow up some banks on margin calls. If I were anyone on here I would have a couple of weeks of cash (up to 6) and equivalent food. the cash is for other than mortgages and car payments, but basic needs Honestly, I would keep my car gas tank full if you need to drive.

So, is it CV19 that scares me? No. Does death? Not anymore. Does a freeze in financials scare me? No. Could it be reasonable that stores and supply could be desrupted? Of course it's reasonable to assume.

Do we know for sure all this stimulus will work? Never been tried on this level. We assumed the Govt could prop up oil. We believed the oil war was over. Today's plunge was on May futures which is coming due with no where to go with it. June will be critical. How many other issues are out there? The best scenario I"ve seen is 18 percent unemployment.

I do know I would in ag and each billion bushels of corn not used in ethanol, is a billion bushels never used. Today we went sub $3.00 on corn prices and soon will be below $8.00 on beans.

I saw on twitter Steve Dace compared Michigan to Sweden. He said they have roughly the same number of people. He acknowledged that Sweden had less per square mile but said their biggest city was bigger than Michigan's. They both had their first case at roughly the same time. Yet Sweden's numbers were less than Michigan's.

Some of the responses were interesting. One said Sweden's unemployment is up to 10% so they are struggling economically too. A few talked about the health care being worse here (not sure I buy that being a valid reason because there isn't much of a treatment for COVID yet and the quality of healthcare has nothing to do with the number of positive cases). A couple people mentioned that a lot of people fly into Michigan from China and speculated that there probably isn't a lot of China to Sweden travel.

In my opinion, the last one is the major reason why the US got hit so hard and places like Sweden haven't. Same with places like Italy, France, and the UK. Those are places you would guess have travel from China. How many seeds get planted to start an outbreak is a very significant number for how fast a virus spreads. They should probably take a closer look at which places are hit the hardest compared to which places have the most travel to China and Europe. I would be surprised if there wasn't a pretty big connection.

But either way, think about what Dace is implying. He's basically saying our numbers would be better without social distancing. That's a ridiculous assessment. Clearly there are more important factors going on with Sweden. Otherwise, that would mean it's true that there would be less spread if you continue to go about your life than if you social distance. There is literally no way that's true. You can't spread a virus more by being around each other less. Can you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.