Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick and move Gold:)

I will still comment on the scene, but if I extend an argument past two posts, call me out. Believe me I will stop!

Or I will concede and move on to something else. See, I've learned something from twenty two+ years of marriage.

Just ribbing you. I'm struggling after 30 some years of marriage in that regard. I'm a slow learner.

Northside, I did a trip to Alaska 4 years ago. I went to Denali NP. We had a clear view of Denali for 3 consecutive days, which I was told was a once in a lifetime experience. I will never forget it!
My dad, who worked for the local pipefitters union for 37 years, had an offer to help build the Alaska pipeline in the early seventies. My mom, who had a strained relationship with her own father because he was an alcoholic, was not going to subject her own kids to a fatherless childhood. She kee-boshed that one in a hurry, no matter how much money he would have made.

Northside, I did a trip to Alaska 4 years ago. I went to Denali NP. We had a clear view of Denali for 3 consecutive days, which I was told was a once in a lifetime experience. I will never forget it!

Denali is a spectacular park and assume when you see the Mount.

The AlCan drive was..... wow.

Just ribbing you. I'm struggling after 30 some years of marriage in that regard. I'm a slow learner.
I tested my wife's patience when she was my girlfriend. She was coming off a bad relationship and I was convinced she was using me until she was completely over her ex.

I'm now convinced that I was almost the stupidest man in the world.

They aren't being forced to open. And people aren't being forced to patronize. They've just been given the option to do so.

No they are not being forced to open but the way I read that post as described by the Georgia restaurant owner the Governor's Open the Businesses order means the owner can't file for some type of insurance or assistance caused by something keeping him closed.

The states that aren't in official lockdown are doing pretty much the exact same thing as every other state except enforcing the lockdown with law. Most, if not all of the 7 states will go into official lockdown if they get much worse.

Also at this point its absolutely ridiculous to suggest there might only be a .1% death rate. If that were the case, every single person in New York would have already had to be infected. If that were true, it would be good for New York because they would be pretty much done with it for good. But that would also mean that this virus is so crazy contagious that every single person in the world will get it within a few more months.

Iowa would end up with 3000 deaths which doesn't seem horrible. But the US would end up with 330,000 deaths. If it only took a couple months to infect the entire state of New York (which I find extremely hard to believe but it would have to be true if there is a .1% death rate) then there is no way to avoid every single person in the world getting it very soon. A virus simply can't rip through 100% of a state in 2 months and not end up getting everyone else over the next few months. It would just be too contagious not to.

So while a .1% death rate sounds great, the contagion level it has to have to make that possible would mean 330,000 americans will be dead in a few months. It would also mean we just as well go back to work because there's no way we can slow a virus like that down.

The states that aren't in official lockdown are doing pretty much the exact same thing as every other state except enforcing the lockdown with law. Most, if not all of the 7 states will go into official lockdown if they get much worse.

Also at this point its absolutely ridiculous to suggest there might only be a .1% death rate. If that were the case, every single person in New York would have already had to be infected. If that were true, it would be good for New York because they would be pretty much done with it for good. But that would also mean that this virus is so crazy contagious that every single person in the world will get it within a few more months.

Iowa would end up with 3000 deaths which doesn't seem horrible. But the US would end up with 330,000 deaths. If it only took a couple months to infect the entire state of New York (which I find extremely hard to believe but it would have to be true if there is a .1% death rate) then there is no way to avoid every single person in the world getting it very soon. A virus simply can't rip through 100% of a state in 2 months and not end up getting everyone else over the next few months. It would just be too contagious not to.

So while a .1% death rate sounds great, the contagion level it has to have to make that possible would mean 330,000 americans will be dead in a few months. It would also mean we just as well go back to work because there's no way we can slow a virus like that down.
So lets bring America to a screeching halt to save 330,000 lives.

You will end up causing a lot more than 330,000 others to die but the government will puff their chests out and say it least they didn't die because of Covid-19.

The linked article is a good read, the "amazing disaster" comment from the tweet is not representative of the author's take.

The gist: early, conservative measures were wise in the face of the unknowns, but we have to be willing to look at the data emerging and be willing to change our minds. Voluntary social-distancing regions (Iowa and Sweden, to name a few) are not experiencing more cases/deaths per million than lock-down areas.

The data was crunched by a political scientist, not be an epidemiologist. So he's good with stats, but he might not have a full appreciation of all of the factors he should be accounting/controlling for. But he puts together a reasoned argument, and I generally agree that we need to have an open mind in these times.

That is why the politicizing and polarization of this issue just drives me nuts; as soon as you accept that your "side" is absolutely right and the other side is a bunch of amoral buffoons, you really cut down on your list of options. A perfectly reasonable option now becomes untenable because it looks too much like what the amoral buffoon next-door/online is suggesting.

So lets bring America to a screeching halt to save 330,000 lives.

You will end up causing a lot more than 330,000 others to die but the government will puff their chests out and say it least they didn't die because of Covid-19.

It is basic triage...take care of the thing that is most likely to kill you immediately, and then try to worry about the other stuff later. The other effects of the lockdown are more likely to have there impacts years down the road, and we can always hope we can find other ways to head those off before then.

I agree with your basic premise that we need to have a more rational discussion of the costs of our preventative measures. I have said from the start, and I stand by this: a conservative approach is wise when there are so many unknowns. But as we have a better handle on exactly what we are dealing with, we need to start having tough conversations.

Some want to frame it as "lives" vs, "economy", but that is an over-simplified ploy to try to win an argument based upon people's emotions. The economy and our ways of life greatly influence health, so it is really "lives if we go this route" vs. "lives if we go this other route." The tough part is that no matter which way you choose, some will end up with the short-end of the stick, and that sucks. But that is the reality when you are trying to decide not just what is best for 1 person, but what is best for 330 million people.

One social-distancing side effect: I teach at the University (I should be preparing a lecture now, just procrastinating), and being forced into this situation has had challenges. But I also think opportunities are emerging from this. We are becoming more effective at doing things remotely, we are being forced to make decisions about essential content/course-elements vs. less-essential, and we are gaining a new appreciation for student mental health. I think once we emerge from this, we will be a better University.

I think there is a lot of this going on right now; there will be terrible consequences from this pandemic, but also new innovations, new insight, and the emergence of a more resilient society.

Have a great day, take care.

Very small sample but some encouraging results from blood plasma treatment in NJ ...

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020...making-remarkable-recovery-hospital-says.html

That is very good news for this study and treatment and the patients. It is experimental for Covid 19 but as the article mentions this procedure is well known and has been used for 100 years. The medical community is doing everything they can as fast as they can prove the safety and efficacy of these various methods.

New Atlantis tends to be rightwing, accurate with a right slant.
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTcyMDIyNzk2NzkxMDYzNjg3%2Fcovid-19-new-deaths-weekly-2020-04-21.jpg

There is still a lot of discussion about shut down type mitigation vs. open up the society and economy. Many years ago I read a science fiction book by Heinlein where the citizens of Earth had moved to a system of wearing one of two badges, one for peace and one for death/violence. Without going into the story except to say that if you are a badge of deather and hurt a badge of Peacer you could get killed immediately. Maybe we could design a system with badges for Work or Badges for Shutdown. People who want to work can, they give up their right to sue etc for contracting the virus, if they are contract traced to be a person who infects a wearer of the Badge of Shutdown then that worker gets dinged big time in isolation/jail (that is not good).

Right now the polls around the US are 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 to maintain the shutdown and social distancing. Seniors over 65 in Florida polled at 80% to keep the shutdown. So if you want to open up then ask your local and state leaders to take several valid polls of area citizens, or have your State create a website that gives people a poll vote, and determine if the actual people in your area want to open up.

That is the democratic way. Do it, press your leaders to take your polls and then talk to your leaders.

Last edited:

The states cited are very white, very middle class and very urban. The article does not account for that.

Spiked Magazine - Right Bias - Conservative - Libertarian - Republican - Tory Factual Reporting: Mixed - Not always Credible or Reliable ... information.

New Atlantis tends to be rightwing, accurate with a right slant.
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTcyMDIyNzk2NzkxMDYzNjg3%2Fcovid-19-new-deaths-weekly-2020-04-21.jpg

I have seen that chart. Are you saying that Covid is really bad or not to worry about it?

The main response to this chart I hear where people say we have a lot of deaths due to car crashes, cancer, obesity , diabetes, etc is to say "car crashes, cancer, obesity , diabetes etc are not infectious".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts