Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
just my two cents but were Fucked either way. The virus is going to spread which will effect the economy and the cases are going to continue to climb for how long? No one knows. What we do know is that everyone is an "expert" and regardless of what we're instructed to do by the government it will only be done if it benefits that individual.

Told not to travel...spring breakers take off to party as usual. Restrictions imposed on bars and restaurants... bar owners ignore and are at max capacity on St. Patty's day. So it brings me to the conclusion that the only way quarantine will really make a difference is if it's all or nothing and everything is shutdown. People want to do what ever benefits them so if you give them the opportunity to continue to do things, they're going to do them regardless of the outcome.

The way things are progressing from a medical and economic standpoint; if a shutdown is needed and necessary it should have been done already otherwise were just dragging things out. We're all in this together, as a father of 3, with the youngest being almost 4 months old, if I'm told to do something that will help save the life of someone in my family, or someone else's family, I'm going to do it and I'd hope others are willing to do the same.

Last night I got to see my daughter in hospital but my wife had to leave the building before I went in. It's a high level hospital hour and a half away.

A millennial nurse came in coughing. When confronted she said it was a cold not cv19. When asked if she'd been tested she said no. She said it was just a tickle. She came in next w a mask. This is a cancer floor at a children's hospital. Bunch of kids w impaired immune systems.......

I wish your daughter and family the best. Being sick is hard enough on a child (let alone anyone) as it is, but having to deal with that right now I can't even begin to imagine.

What we're doing is just extending it. Maybe we should have just quarantined all immunocompromised people and then let it run its course. Or... actually get the test kits and do what South Korea did.

Anyone see the video of the Italian military hauling bodies to another city for cremation? 70 from an affluent community. That was about 3x what could be handled locally.

What we're doing is just extending it. Maybe we should have just quarantined all immunocompromised people and then let it run its course. Or... actually get the test kits and do what South Korea did.

I want to know what percentage of people who fall into the low risk category actually end up in critical condition. Is that number enough to overflow hospitals? If the answer is no, everyone wins by quarantining the high risk only and letting this virus run its course. Large groups of people could be encouraged instead of cancelled. The new phrase of "our grandparents were asked to go to war. You are asked to stay home" can change to "our grandparents were asked to go to war. We now ask you to contract a virus". There is no doubt that some of the low risk would die. But no matter what we do, some will die.

upload_2020-3-19_10-45-38.png

From the Johns Hopkins dashboard. Covid19 case numbers: orange is China and yellow is "all other".
This exponential rise is despite the fact that test kits are extraordinarily limited in the US. Montana received our first 200 kits on Monday and I'm quite sure Iowa is in the same boat. Here they are being rationed and prioritized for symptomatic people with contact/travel histories, hospitalized patients with influenza-like illnesses (after flu tests are negative) and symptomatic healthcare workers. If you do not believe in science and epidemiology in particular please be respectful of those who do - we don't want this. A recent report in the Lancet details that 31 of 32 patients who required intubation and mechanical ventilation died.

I want to know what percentage of people who fall into the low risk category actually end up in critical condition. Is that number enough to overflow hospitals? If the answer is no, everyone wins by quarantining the high risk only and letting this virus run its course. Large groups of people could be encouraged instead of cancelled. The new phrase of "our grandparents were asked to go to war. You are asked to stay home" can change to "our grandparents were asked to go to war. We now ask you to contract a virus". There is no doubt that some of the low risk would die. But no matter what we do, some will die.
Instead, we have stores that are devoting an hour a day so the immunocompromised can gather together. I'd like to see a scientist explain how that's not dangerous.

Last edited:
View attachment 6486

From the Johns Hopkins dashboard. Covid19 case numbers: orange is China and yellow is "all other".
This exponential rise is despite the fact that test kits are extraordinarily limited in the US. Montana received our first 200 kits on Monday and I'm quite sure Iowa is in the same boat. Here they are being rationed and prioritized for symptomatic people with contact/travel histories, hospitalized patients with influenza-like illnesses (after flu tests are negative) and symptomatic healthcare workers. If you do not believe in science and epidemiology in particular please be respectful of those who do - we don't want this. A recent report in the Lancet details that 31 of 32 patients who required intubation and mechanical ventilation died.
If 31 out of 32 die that need a ventilator, that means being short on ventilators doesn't really change a lot of outcomes.

Instead, we have stores that devoting an hour a day to so the immunocompromised can gather together. I'd like to see a scientist explain how that's not dangerous.

If the hour is the first hour of the day, and the store is disinfected before it opens, it gives them the best chance to not get sick. In theory, the only people who should be utilizing that time are the ones that are going to extremes to self isolate. If an old guy who doesn't care about isolating is using that time, that would be reckless of him.

If the hour is the first hour of the day, and the store is disinfected before it opens, it gives them the best chance to not get sick. In theory, the only people who should be utilizing that time are the ones that are going to extremes to self isolate. If an old guy who doesn't care about isolating is using that time, that would be reckless of him.
Well, I've seen a lot of older people out and about at all times, so I'd imagine your last sentence might be pretty common.

Last edited:
Well, I've see a lot of older people out and about at all times, so I'd imagine your last sentence might be pretty common.
I agree. A decent percentage of old people are ready to die anyway. They ain't afraid of no virus. Those people should utilize the special hours for high risk people tho.

Last night I got to see my daughter in hospital but my wife had to leave the building before I went in. It's a high level hospital hour and a half away.

A millennial nurse came in coughing. When confronted she said it was a cold not cv19. When asked if she'd been tested she said no. She said it was just a tickle. She came in next w a mask. This is a cancer floor at a children's hospital. Bunch of kids w impaired immune systems.......

There's a video of a Brit who caught it on that Princess cruise liner who said it was just a tickle and minor cough at first.

People are always going to complain about the government when there is a crisis, like this pandemic. But Western society simply isn't ready for something like this. I have a shitload of masks at home. 99.9 anti viral things. My old lady buys them in Japan. How many American houses have masks? Way under 1%. Of course the media says "masks don't help." Yeah right. You look at the infection rates in Korea and Japan versus rest of the world. That ain't from testing, it's because those people have lived through SARS and other pandemics and the populace is loaded up on masks. A mask keeps the viral load close to the infected person and keeps people from touching their nose and mouth. Anyway, that is a long way of saying that lady who was coughing showed less courtesy for her common man than the average Japanese person getting on a train or going to the grocery store. No one is out without a mask if there is a pandemic. To walk through a hospital ward without one in a situation like this (no matter what your role) is borderline criminally negligent.

Looks like they interviewed all of the students from Trailer Park University, proud home of the Dirty Trolls

I agree. A decent percentage of old people are ready to die anyway. They ain't afraid of no virus. Those people should utilize the special hours for high risk people tho.

About old people... The thrivers all have something in common...an incredible will to live...see it in WW 2 vets.

If 31 out of 32 die that need a ventilator, that means being short on ventilators doesn't really change a lot of outcomes.
Those patients were in Wuhan. We should soon (unfortunately) have reports of outcomes in Italy and Europe. If confirmed it is a very grim situation and you are correct.
We need more data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts