Anyone Want on the Bandwagon?

Predicted 6-0, then 0-6. Hawks r 1 game off the pace. When they beat one of the back 6, they will be back on pace.

It appears more and more likely (on paper) that they will beat Purdue. However, based on the reliable, annual nut-punch that Kirt delivers to Hawk fans, it's not crazy to think will lose that game. Let's say they deliver against Purdue. All that does is simply get them back on track to 6 wins.

Is it bandwagon to admit they look a lot better than expected and a lot better than 2012? If that's the criteria then I'm guilty. Otherwise, there's zero rational reason to think they will get beyond 6 wins until they actually do it.

If they do, GREAT!!. If they don't, I still cheer for them to win.

Never was off. This head coach continues to prove he's one of the best program builders in college football and at the same time one of the worst program maintainers. The ride will always be like a roller coaster while he's coach. Looks like last year was the bottom and we're climbing again. There's some talent and attitude on this team. Hang on.

Let me help you out, Grape. Or rather...set you straight. There are no "Bandwagon" Hawkeye fans. You should know that.

Posts like this are pointless. We are all Hawk fans. None of us have quit cheering for the Hawks so surely don't need a comment like this that makes you try to sound like you are something special compared to the other Hawk fans. I have been a diehard Hawk fan for 30+ years. Witnessed many good teams and a few not-so-good teams. Just because someone questions the direction the team is heading does not make someone a "bandwagon" fan.

So to the OP, are you saying someone who questions Kirk or the program is a "bandwagon" fan?

My definition of a bandwagon fan is someone who knows nothing about the program but decides to toss on a Hawk T-shirt when the program is doing well. I don't think any of us here fall into that category. I don't think too many bandwagon fans patrol the messageboards. So kudos to you, OP, for being the "best of the best" Hawk fans! And for the rest of us ... well, we can all continue to strive.

Man I'm just proud of our guys they could have hung there heads after what they went throgh last yr. But our guys fought there way out of the hole andvits starting to pay off. GO HAWKS!

The bandwagon effect is a well documented form of group-think in behavioral science and has many applications. The general rule is that conduct or beliefs spread among people, as fads and trends clearly do, with "the probability of any individual adopting it increasing with the proportion who have already done so. As more people come to believe in something, others also "hop on the bandwagon" regardless of the underlying evidence.

The current Iowa bandwagon effect would PALE in comparison to the Cubs, if they were ever sustainingly successful (Iowa State also comes to mind). The last great bandwagon effect I remember was Northwestern.

Predicted 6-0, then 0-6. Hawks r 1 game off the pace. When they beat one of the back 6, they will be back on pace.

It appears more and more likely (on paper) that they will beat Purdue. However, based on the reliable, annual nut-punch that Kirt delivers to Hawk fans, it's not crazy to think will lose that game. Let's say they deliver against Purdue. All that does is simply get them back on track to 6 wins.

Is it bandwagon to admit they look a lot better than expected and a lot better than 2012? If that's the criteria then I'm guilty. Otherwise, there's zero rational reason to think they will get beyond 6 wins until they actually do it.

If they do, GREAT!!. If they don't, I still cheer for them to win.
No rational reason? They just beat an undefeated BoneG team by double digits on the road.

Plus, you claim that, rationally, we will not be very good, and to prove it, you make an emotional argument claiming we should expect an annual "nut punch" against Purdue. Why don't you and your hater mouth just STFU and GTFO? You're clearly mad that Iowa is WINNING, and you're trying to legitimize your pessimism by crapping on the team. Well guess what hater, this is a HAWKEYENATION, and we don't have room for the lieks of you. We see that this is a great team on the rise, and we don't want to see someone try and marginalize them.

No rational reason? They just beat an undefeated BoneG team by double digits on the road.

Plus, you claim that, rationally, we will not be very good, and to prove it, you make an emotional argument claiming we should expect an annual "nut punch" against Purdue. Why don't you and your hater mouth just STFU and GTFO? You're clearly mad that Iowa is WINNING, and you're trying to legitimize your pessimism by crapping on the team. Well guess what hater, this is a HAWKEYENATION, and we don't have room for the lieks of you. We see that this is a great team on the rise, and we don't want to see someone try and marginalize them.

God gawd Maude, crack yer mikes hard lemonade and SUTTM....we better be close to 4-1 at this point in the season. What team will deliver that annual bean bag kick? Or was that the northern Illinois game already? Who am I kidding we're due for another...

God gawd Maude, crack yer mikes hard lemonade and SUTTM....we better be close to 4-1 at this point in the season. What team will deliver that annual bean bag kick? Or was that the northern Illinois game already? Who am I kidding we're due for another...
Haters hatin'

Now we're getting back to form, Ghost.

...and to the rest of you who criticize my use of the term "bandwagon" - that's fair, but you're missing the point. I'm not saying I'm a better fan than you, I'm saying that I did a better job of evaluating this team than you did. Don't get me wrong, if we were to finish 4-8 this year, I would most likely be calling for KF's head just like the rest of you.

My gloating isn't about how much I love Iowa, it's about how much I love myself. Sorry if that was unclear.

Now we're getting back to form, Ghost.

My gloating isn't about how much I love Iowa, it's about how much I love myself. Sorry if that was unclear.
Grapie, I gotta say, I am liking you more and more. Make no mistake, if Iowa lost yesterday, there would have been multiple threats by OotH, Homerchampliss, Freedcommanche and others saying "I TOOOOOOOLLLLDDDD U SO! DERP!".

That feeling of self-satisfaction you get by posting? That's the best feeling in the world, isn't it?

Depends on what you mean by "bandwagon".. I think Iowa is "just ok" this year.. But that is a good step forward from last year. Where we are right now, and the way the team is playing, I look for 6-7 wins and a bowl game this year. That doesn't mean there isn't still room for improvement, but at least I feel the program is headed back in the right direction again. It seems that way, anyway. That doesn't mean I'm going to get carried away and predict a 10-2 record.. There are a lot of tough games ahead of us.

Last edited:
Grapie, I gotta say, I am liking you more and more. Make no mistake, if Iowa lost yesterday, there would have been multiple threats by OotH, Homerchampliss, Freedcommanche and others saying "I TOOOOOOOLLLLDDDD U SO! DERP!".

That feeling of self-satisfaction you get by posting? That's the best feeling in the world, isn't it?

All right, I'm on board, Ghost. I'll take your olive branch and return the favor:

My name's Joe, I live in Ohio, and I have a blog that no one reads.

All right, I'm on board, Ghost. I'll take your olive branch and return the favor:

My name's Joe, I live in Ohio, and I have a blog that no one reads.
C'mon bro, you know I've read your blog.

My name is William. I live in Iowa, and I am the creator and driving force of the wildly popular "Three Day Hangover" series on Iowa Football, which is read by tens, possibly dozens of people per week.

I predicted 4-8 and every game has gone exactly how I expected. It's about to get very bad, but I really hope I'm wrong.

Exactly as you expected? So you predicted the Hawks would average over 440 yds total offense, dominate ISU at Jack Trice, and hold a team averaging 280+ rushing to 30 yds at Minny, eh? Who's your pick to win the Super Bowl? I want to put some serious cash down as you have some serious skills.

I expected 4-1, but didn't expect the offense to look this good or the defense to look like the run stoppers we've become accustomed to under Ferentz and Norm. Any complaints that 'we haven't beat anybody who's any good' need to stop. Northern Illinois just pi$$-pounded Purdue at West Lafayette (I know, we lost, but shouldn't have), and the Clones won at Tulsa, neither of which I think anyone on here expected. Not that the Clones are good, but beating them at Ames hasn't been easy for even Ferentz's good teams.

Latest posts