Anyone Here Under The Age Of 65 Going To Assville, TN And Paying Actual Money To Watch This Fiasco?

Well, my dad died of Hodgkins and I think the fact that he sprayed pesticides on all of his plants for years (he had two very large gardens) may have played a role. Really tough to tell but in his case I think the chemicals played a role.

edit: he sprayed this stuff with zero protection (PPE).

Damn. The PPE might not have even helped many people because so much of that crap ended up in the water as well. I just wonder how much family history is "hey your family all lived on the same plot of land for 3 generations and the chemicals made them sick."

I get that there are predispositions, but to what extent do you think some of these "family history" issues are actually correlated to environmental conditions? As an example, my mom's dad and four of his siblings all died from Hodgkins. A fifth sibling got it as well but after seeing her siblings die she turned into a massive hypochondriac and hers was caught early and after they had advanced in treatment somewhat. Those people combined to have dozens of kids, grandkids and great grandkids and no one else came down with Hodgkins. I suspect there are a bunch of families like that who grew up on farms and their family history might have more to do with the mystery juice they sprayed on crops than an actual genetic predisposition. What say you?

Funny you mention the farming. When I was first reading and came across your extensive family history, I was wondering if they were a huge farming family.

Now, Hodgkin's Disease and Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma are two very different diseases, with Hodgkin's being more treatable. Are you sure they all had Hodgkin's Dz or is there a chance they had a higher grade Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma? Now, if this was years ago, they may have all had Hodgkin's Dz because we have advanced since then.

Again, two very different diseases. Actually, Hodgkin's used to be called Hodgkin's Diseaese but over time is now referred to as Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Well, my dad died of Hodgkins and I think the fact that he sprayed pesticides on all of his plants for years (he had two very large gardens) may have played a role. Really tough to tell but in his case I think the chemicals played a role.

I also think one can look at certain things like everyone having the exact same condition through generations. That might also offer a clue. Hodgkins (I'm not an expert on that cancer), for example, does not appear to have a strong genetic component to it, from what I've heard. Certain other cancers absolutely do. Not everything is the same.

Additional edit: this is from cancer.org related to non-hodgkin's lymphoma:

Some people inherit DNA mutations from a parent that increase their risk for some types of cancer. Having a family history of lymphoma (Hodgkin Lymphoma, Non Hodgkin Lymphoma, CLL) does seem to increase your risk of lymphoma.

Gene changes related to NHL are usually acquired during life, rather than being inherited. Acquired gene changes can result from exposure to radiation, cancer-causing chemicals, or infections, but often these changes occur for no apparent reason. They seem to happen more often as we age, which might help explain why most lymphomas are seen in older people.

This would seem to back up your point.

And as we age, we become immunocompromised much easier, which plays into these diagnoses, at later ages.

But, I think it is more common for children to be Dx'ed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma vs a Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, but both are still rare in children.

But, I think Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma rates have slowly increased over the years. Now, is that due to more population or our baby boomers now getting older or is it due to environmental factors. That is what the researchers have to figure out.

Last edited:
Funny you mention the farming. When I was first reading and came across your extensive family history, I was wondering if they were a huge farming family.

Now, Hodgkin's Disease and Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma are two very different diseases, with Hodgkin's being more treatable. Are you sure they all had Hodgkin's Dz or is there a chance they had a higher grade Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma? Now, if this was years ago, they may have all had Hodgkin's Dz because we have advanced since then.

Again, two very different diseases. Actually, Hodgkin's used to be called Hodgkin's Diseaese but over time is now referred to as Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

It has always been described to me as "Hodgkin's Disease." The people all died in the '60's and '70's. According to my mom's cousin who has lived in Iowa City and Coralville since the '60's my granddad was basically a guinea pig at UIHC for about a year before he died and she went to see him several times a week when he was there. I think that now that disease is very treatable but back then it wasn't.

It has always been described to me as "Hodgkin's Disease." The people all died in the '60's and '70's. According to my mom's cousin who has lived in Iowa City and Coralville since the '60's my granddad was basically a guinea pig at UIHC for about a year before he died and she went to see him several times a week when he was there. I think that now that disease is very treatable but back then it wasn't.

Oh wow, yes, that was probably accurate. Hard to think about, but that was 50-60 yrs ago and there have been a lot of advances.

I also think one can look at certain things like everyone having the exact same condition through generations. That might also offer a clue. Hodgkins (I'm not an expert on that cancer), for example, does not appear to have a strong genetic component to it, from what I've heard. Certain other cancers absolutely do. Not everything is the same.

Additional edit: this is from cancer.org related to non-hodgkin's lymphoma:

Some people inherit DNA mutations from a parent that increase their risk for some types of cancer. Having a family history of lymphoma (Hodgkin Lymphoma, Non Hodgkin Lymphoma, CLL) does seem to increase your risk of lymphoma.

Gene changes related to NHL are usually acquired during life, rather than being inherited. Acquired gene changes can result from exposure to radiation, cancer-causing chemicals, or infections, but often these changes occur for no apparent reason. They seem to happen more often as we age, which might help explain why most lymphomas are seen in older people.

This would seem to back up your point.
We could really discuss this topic...not here anyway (Fry). Yes people succumb to DNA changes. You get about x many during your life. 20 years ago, Euros knew this and Americans laughed. Still gets down to what you can control and that is diet/lifestyle/ stress. Yes young people do drop dead. Will aways happen, but why? Some can likely be explained.

1. Tests do increase radiation exposure. On their own, not much but as a total..
2. People that have been sexually abused as kids are likely never going to see Dr. Proctology. We still do very little to help abuse survivors really.
3. There is a lot we don't know about genetic changes and eating/being exposed to genetic modifications. 20 years ago we laughed about saving worm populations in farm fields. Now it's main stream.
4. We still don't know about increased death rates from COVID/and Vaccinated people especially not old males.

Remove stressors, change diet and activities and one goes a long ways to health.

Someday medicine as now practiced will seem like bleeding to cure sickness.

I take care of myself in part to knowing my genetic alleles are pretty short which is not good, but a lot we don't know about it. Since in my mid 30s people guess me to be about 12 years younger than I am. No idea if that relates to gene changes as we age. Not sure why I look like that. It's also how I come across good/bad.

We could really discuss this topic...not here anyway (Fry). Yes people succumb to DNA changes. You get about x many during your life. 20 years ago, Euros knew this and Americans laughed. Still gets down to what you can control and that is diet/lifestyle/ stress. Yes young people do drop dead. Will aways happen, but why? Some can likely be explained.

1. Tests do increase radiation exposure. On their own, not much but as a total..
2. People that have been sexually abused as kids are likely never going to see Dr. Proctology. We still do very little to help abuse survivors really.
3. There is a lot we don't know about genetic changes and eating/being exposed to genetic modifications. 20 years ago we laughed about saving worm populations in farm fields. Now it's main stream.
4. We still don't know about increased death rates from COVID/and Vaccinated people especially not old males.

Remove stressors, change diet and activities and one goes a long ways to health.

Someday medicine as now practiced will seem like bleeding to cure sickness.

I take care of myself in part to knowing my genetic alleles are pretty short which is not good, but a lot we don't know about it. Since in my mid 30s people guess me to be about 12 years younger than I am. No idea if that relates to gene changes as we age. Not sure why I look like that. It's also how I come across good/bad.
I agree with you. See my other post r/t lymphoma. Seems like you think you're trying to explain something to me.

This is one of those things were multiple factors are relevant, but this doesn't play well in an internet message board, where people feel compelled to see things as black or white, and totally one side or the other.

Genetic predisposition matters a ton as does environmental exposure that might flip on the oncogene and change DNA. Also, you made a great point about kids who experienced childhood trauma and the downstream consequences of that (not getting tests/health care). This is the kind of stuff I do for a living for the past 30 years!

Again, both are true and I agree with you. Everything on message boards is this vs that. Seems like you're trying to prove a point but I'm not disagreeing with you. Dying from a heart attack really early and getting cancer from environmental exposure aren't quite the same thing.

Agree with you about controlling what you can control (exercise, diet, etc). Having said that, if I know that my family members have died across generations of the same kind of cancer (like colon), I sure as shit am getting screened for it, so that I can get tx early if needed. That's an example of controlling what one can control. Not sure why you see things so black and white. It's all relevant.

I agree with you. See my other post r/t lymphoma. Seems like you think you're trying to explain something to me.

This is one of those things were multiple factors are relevant, but this doesn't play well in an internet message board, where people feel compelled to see things as black or white, and totally one side or the other.

Genetic predisposition matters a ton as does environmental exposure that might flip on the oncogene and change DNA. Also, you made a great point about kids who experienced childhood trauma and the downstream consequences of that (not getting tests/health care). This is the kind of stuff I do for a living for the past 30 years!

Again, both are true and I agree with you. Everything on message boards is this vs that. Seems like you're trying to prove a point but I'm not disagreeing with you. Dying from a heart attack really early and getting cancer from environmental exposure aren't quite the same thing.

Agree with you about controlling what you can control (exercise, diet, etc). Having said that, if I know that my family members have died across generations of the same kind of cancer (like colon), I sure as shit am getting screened for it, so that I can get tx early if needed. That's an example of controlling what one can control. Not sure why you see things so black and white. It's all relevant.
No, not really, just adding, not proving. But I do lean away from genetics in general except that exposures/ lifestyles, diet etc to me are the main thing. As a side note, Iowa historically has been one of the worst states to be a childhood abuse victim. Getting better, but one of the worst. That big of a percentage of the population, that is well documented for reducing life span (abuse).

As a society, about 1/4 of people are abused as kids + or - but there is really not much we do about that. Adds incredible stress and stress is a big longevity factor. I think we basically agree on most.

Anyway, back to Nashville.... and the maybe this is what we look like sort of next year bowl.

Latest posts