Anyone Here Under The Age Of 65 Going To Assville, TN And Paying Actual Money To Watch This Fiasco?

I lost a childhood friend at 53 to colon cancer. March of 2020, just before the pandemic. There is zero downside to getting the castle stormed. Even most cases of colon cancer are treatable if caught early. Unfortunately my friend's wasn't.

Yes, it is one of the malignancies where there are nice screening tests to catch early which completely has an affect on the prognosis. In addition, it is one of the sites that can actually give an individual early signs/symptoms that maybe something is going on. So, if you are noticing blood in your morning submarine, you should get checked as something is going on. Could be other causes as well (polyps, adenomas, diverticulities), but should get checked.

What, you down to 38 degrees now?

It's going to be 32 on Christmas Eve. It's very rare for the daytime high to not break freezing here. Yesterday we walked about 6 blocks to lunch and I didn't have a coat. I had to put my hands in my trouser pockets for almost half of the walk. Everyone else was wearing puffers and one person even had mittens.

It's going to be 32 on Christmas Eve. It's very rare for the daytime high to not break freezing here. Yesterday we walked about 6 blocks to lunch and I didn't have a coat. I had to put my hands in my trouser pockets for almost half of the walk. Everyone else was wearing puffers and one person even had mittens.

You ass. We are supposed to be down to like -45 below on Friday or Saturday or something. I squawk at your 32 degrees.

A weird storm with like 40-45 mph winds on Thursday but actually increase to 50-55 mph on Friday. Storms don't usually increase and for that long. I have concerns about power going out.

Last edited:
If you are higher risk you would not be given the choice to do the stool test, this if you are following physician's recommendations. If the fecal test comes back showing the possibility of something, most likely they would recommend a FU colonoscopy for further evaluation.

The advantage of doing the fecal test for low risk patients is to potentially stop the need for a colonoscopy.

Again, heed the advice of your physician.
I know. thanks. If I wasn't completely clear:

1. Higher risk gets a colonoscopy (usually diagnostic colonoscopy vs screening)
2. Lower risk, you get a choice of colonoscopy, FIT (fecal occult blood) test, or Cologard. Disadvantage of the last two is that they must be done yearly.

I used to be a director of a primary care service and this was a day in day out thing for our teams. Yes, heed the advice of your primary care provider. Please also go to a primary care provider. A lot of people stopped doing that during the pandemic. Colon cancer is a big killer, with nearly 58,000 deaths per year.

I spent several years trying to work with teams in clinics to work on how they identified people who weren't getting screening done, and doing outreach to them to get them to come in and get this important stuff done. Population health initiatives are only second to behavioral health in terms of my professional passions!

I know. thanks. If I wasn't completely clear:

1. Higher risk gets a colonoscopy (usually diagnostic colonoscopy vs screening)
2. Lower risk, you get a choice of colonoscopy, FIT (fecal occult blood) test, or Cologard. Disadvantage of the last two is that they must be done yearly.

I used to be a director of a primary care service and this was a day in day out thing for our teams. Yes, heed the advice of your primary care provider. Please also go to a primary care provider. A lot of people stopped doing that during the pandemic. Colon cancer is a big killer, with nearly 58,000 deaths per year.

I spent several years trying to work with teams in clinics to work on how they identified people who weren't getting screening done, and doing outreach to them to get them to come in and get this important stuff done. Population health initiatives are only second to behavioral health in terms of my professional passions!

Well stated. Also, in the state of Iowa with so much rural population, are people getting screenings or is there a shortage of screening programs in the rural health environment? That could be a challenge.

I'm 52, live about 35 minutes from downtown Nashville, and will probably watch the game at home.
I've followed the team to multiple Outback Bowls, both Sun Bowls, Orange Bowl, Alamo Bowl, Citrus Bowl and Rose Bowl.

There is little buzz for this bowl game, as Kurt wasted an elite defense this past season.

This is one of the rare years where I haven't heard about a bowl travel package.
Usually by now, I would've seen multiple postings from Jon Miller and his long-time travel partner or Winebrenner Red Carpet Travel.
So far, nothing.

I'm 52, live about 35 minutes from downtown Nashville, and will probably watch the game at home.
I've followed the team to multiple Outback Bowls, both Sun Bowls, Orange Bowl, Alamo Bowl, Citrus Bowl and Rose Bowl.

There is little buzz for this bowl game, as Kurt wasted an elite defense this past season.

This is one of the rare years where I haven't heard about a bowl travel package.
Usually by now, I would've seen multiple postings from Jon Miller and his long-time travel partner or Winebrenner Red Carpet Travel.
So far, nothing.

No charter flights. No charter buses. No Chalk Talk. No HawkeyeNation lanyards.

Looking at the number of tickets available and prices on StubHub, this thing might have fewer people in it than a COVID game.

Supposed to be raining with a high of 59°, I can’t think of a single reason to pay actual money to watch this thing in person.

It's unfortunate you don't have knowledge of your parents medical history. Sounds like it was less than ideal health anyway. The best thing you can do is get an annual physical and keep up to date on your own medical situation, i.e. knowing your blood pressure, cholesterol numbers, etc.

I lost a good friend earlier this year, he went to bed one night and never woke up. Turns out, he had cardiovascular problems. But since he never went to a doctor, no one knew. Had plenty of money to go to a doctor any time he wanted, he just didn't think it necessary. Sure wish he had.
He has enough info...if he doesn't smoke and not overweight. That's the biggest part. Diet/blood sugar makes another huge step. Family history is over emphasized compared to culture. My parents died when I was 31 and 37. They were obese and my mom was a human chimney. My 4 sibs are way overweight. Some smoke. Bro has had bypass after heart attack. Maybe 2nd hand smoke from childhood will kill me. My resting heart rate is athletic low and BP I 100/65 give or take.Eyes better than 20/16.

Not worrying about my health. It does take some work to not eat as much as I'd like. Lots of organic we grow ourselves. Alcoholism is a fam trait so I don't partake.

Alcoholism is a fam trait so I don't partake.

I got down to under 5 cases of beer total in 2022. When I saw my family over Christmas I must have been 40-50 pounds lighter than every other guy there because I ain't carrying 30 pounds of beer fat around my midsection anymore. I don't think I'll ever quit completely but my days of crushing close to a case a week are definitely over. I drank 17 Yellow Bellies before that Penn State game in 2008. I'm pretty sure I would die if I tried that now.

Looking at the number of tickets available and prices on StubHub, this thing might have fewer people in it than a COVID game.

Supposed to be raining with a high of 59°, I can’t think of a single reason to pay actual money to watch this thing in person.

I would go if I lived within 8 blocks of the stadium, had a safe walking path, and tickets were under $10 inclusive of TicketBastard's fees.

I got down to under 5 cases of beer total in 2022. When I saw my family over Christmas I must have been 40-50 pounds lighter than every other guy there because I ain't carrying 30 pounds of beer fat around my midsection anymore. I don't think I'll ever quit completely but my days of crushing close to a case a week are definitely over. I drank 17 Yellow Bellies before that Penn State game in 2008. I'm pretty sure I would die if I tried that now.
When my belly starts to show I've been hitting the peanut butter jar hard.

He has enough info...if he doesn't smoke and not overweight. That's the biggest part. Diet/blood sugar makes another huge step. Family history is over emphasized compared to culture. My parents died when I was 31 and 37. They were obese and my mom was a human chimney. My 4 sibs are way overweight. Some smoke. Bro has had bypass after heart attack. Maybe 2nd hand smoke from childhood will kill me. My resting heart rate is athletic low and BP I 100/65 give or take.Eyes better than 20/16.

Not worrying about my health. It does take some work to not eat as much as I'd like. Lots of organic we grow ourselves. Alcoholism is a fam trait so I don't partake.
Family history (at least the genetic component) is extremely important, as is lifestyle. They're both really important.

Some people who are insanely fit drop dead from cardiac issues (not common, but it happens). Also, cancer has a very strong genetic component. For instance, people are able to know understand if they are at high risk for breast cancer (based on HER-2 history in family) or colon cancer, you can be more aggressive with surveillance and early treatment, which could be life-saving.

I agree with you 100% about lifestyle, as it's very important. There's a pretty cool meta analysis of studies out there that basically says "there's no upper limit, in terms of benefits, to higher degrees of cardiovascular fitness." If you are incredibly fit into mid and older age with a much higher than expected VO2max for your age, there's a strong likelihood you'll outlive your peers, with much more function!

Even with perfect weather, this game could make one's eyes hurt to watch.

So far, nothing.

But the real question is, have you had a colonoscopy yet?

Yea, no buzz at all about the game. Weird!

This is one of those situations where a family takes a winter getaway for a few days and hits a bowl game while in Nashville. The game is not the priority and a side show.

This is one of those situations where a family takes a winter getaway for a few days and hits a bowl game while in Nashville. The game is not the priority and a side show.
Aside from the fact that watching Iowa is a tough sell, going to Nashville in the winter isn't my idea of an awesome get away. If I'm spending money, there are a lot of other places I'd rather go, but to each, his own. I can see if you lived really close it might be reasonable.

I'll watch it on TV and if the second half sucks I'll go mountain biking, or do virtually anything else besides watching Iowa die another slow death. But, I'm optimistic, because I'm a dumb hawkeye fan.

Family history (at least the genetic component) is extremely important, as is lifestyle. They're both really important.

Some people who are insanely fit drop dead from cardiac issues (not common, but it happens). Also, cancer has a very strong genetic component. For instance, people are able to know understand if they are at high risk for breast cancer (based on HER-2 history in family) or colon cancer, you can be more aggressive with surveillance and early treatment, which could be life-saving.

I agree with you 100% about lifestyle, as it's very important. There's a pretty cool meta analysis of studies out there that basically says "there's no upper limit, in terms of benefits, to higher degrees of cardiovascular fitness." If you are incredibly fit into mid and older age with a much higher than expected VO2max for your age, there's a strong likelihood you'll outlive your peers, with much more function!

I get that there are predispositions, but to what extent do you think some of these "family history" issues are actually correlated to environmental conditions? As an example, my mom's dad and four of his siblings all died from Hodgkins. A fifth sibling got it as well but after seeing her siblings die she turned into a massive hypochondriac and hers was caught early and after they had advanced in treatment somewhat. Those people combined to have dozens of kids, grandkids and great grandkids and no one else came down with Hodgkins. I suspect there are a bunch of families like that who grew up on farms and their family history might have more to do with the mystery juice they sprayed on crops than an actual genetic predisposition. What say you?

I get that there are predispositions, but to what extent do you think some of these "family history" issues are actually correlated to environmental conditions? As an example, my mom's dad and four of his siblings all died from Hodgkins. A fifth sibling got it as well but after seeing her siblings die she turned into a massive hypochondriac and hers was caught early and after they had advanced in treatment somewhat. Those people combined to have dozens of kids, grandkids and great grandkids and no one else came down with Hodgkins. I suspect there are a bunch of families like that who grew up on farms and their family history might have more to do with the mystery juice they sprayed on crops than an actual genetic predisposition. What say you?
Well, my dad died of Hodgkins and I think the fact that he sprayed pesticides on all of his plants for years (he had two very large gardens) may have played a role. Really tough to tell but in his case I think the chemicals played a role.

edit: he sprayed this stuff with zero protection (PPE).

I also think one can look at certain things like everyone having the exact same condition through generations. That might also offer a clue. Hodgkins (I'm not an expert on that cancer), for example, does not appear to have a strong genetic component to it, from what I've heard. Certain other cancers absolutely do. Not everything is the same.

Additional edit: this is from cancer.org related to non-hodgkin's lymphoma:

Some people inherit DNA mutations from a parent that increase their risk for some types of cancer. Having a family history of lymphoma (Hodgkin Lymphoma, Non Hodgkin Lymphoma, CLL) does seem to increase your risk of lymphoma.

Gene changes related to NHL are usually acquired during life, rather than being inherited. Acquired gene changes can result from exposure to radiation, cancer-causing chemicals, or infections, but often these changes occur for no apparent reason. They seem to happen more often as we age, which might help explain why most lymphomas are seen in older people.

This would seem to back up your point.

Last edited:

Latest posts