Anyone Here Under The Age Of 65 Going To Assville, TN And Paying Actual Money To Watch This Fiasco?

Don't worry. Your problems will all be behind you now.
I see what you did there.
What age are you supposed to start doing those?

I'm 42 and haven't been to the doc in years because I'm on a high deductible plan with no copay and I'm not gonna shell out $300 to go in and have him tell me I need to come back 3 more times over the next 90 days. I think 2013 would've been the last time, and that was a follow up after surgery from a bike accident.

I'm 42 and haven't been to the doc in years because I'm on a high deductible plan with no copay and I'm not gonna shell out $300 to go in and have him tell me I need to come back 3 more times over the next 90 days. I think 2013 would've been the last time, and that was a follow up after surgery from a bike accident.
50 used to be the bench mark but I've heard others say 45.

I had my first, and so far only, near my 50th birthday. For me the experience wasn't bad other than the inconvenience of fasting and having to take a day off work. The prep they day before that you hear all the horror stories about wasn't that bad, the stuff didn't taste the worst, and I was sedated but awake for the procedure. I even watched the progress on the monitor they conveniently provide because they turn you on your side.

I would recommend as early in the day as possible and you will need someone to drive you there and back. Maybe the 7:30 am appointment made it easier for me than it might have been.. And again I had no problems with the prep. Even went to my daughter's volleyball game the night before. Just follow the procedures. I had mine on a Friday morning and my last solid meal was early Wednesday afternoon. Thursday it was clear water and Life Savers candy until I had to,start drinking the mix.

My post procedure meal? Open faced roast beef and mashed potatoes at Village Inn with a Pepsi. One of the best meals I've had in years given the circumstances.

I think age 50 is recommended by most physicians, this, unless you have a family history or a history of colon polyps in the past.

I think age 50 is recommended by most physicians, this, unless you have a family history or a history of colon polyps in the past.
I have a long family history of people not going to the doctor and dying early lol.

In seriousness I don't know shit about my family medical history aside from high blood pressure and stroke. All were heavy smokers and didn't exercise at all. My folks died when I was in my 20s and I'd have no clue how to even find out what their medical histories are.

I have a long family history of people not going to the doctor and dying early lol.

In seriousness I don't know shit about my family medical history aside from high blood pressure and stroke. All were heavy smokers and didn't exercise at all. My folks died when I was in my 20s and I'd have no clue how to even find out what their medical histories are.

Were they older when they had you? My mom passed when I was 14. My dad is still around.

Were you the executor over your parents health care. You might have been too young. Any siblings the executor? If you know where they doctored, you can call the medical records and ask about it and what you should do. It would probably be good info to have to know.

You have the right to get a deceased person's medical records from an Iowa health care provider if you are the personal representative of the deceased person's estate (such as the executor or administrator).

50 is the benchmark....but earlier is always better.

At 50, they found polyps and had me come back in 3 years.
At 53, they found less polyps and had me come back in 5 years
My last one was at age 63...clear...I now have a 7 year window.

Generally 50 is a good number but you can do it before that time.

If you knew your risk for colon cancer, it would guide you in terms of which diagnostic test to get. If you are low risk you can do a non invasive FOBT (fecal occult blood test) which doesn't involve anything but putting your poop on a slide. It's also not expensive. However, unlike a screening or diagnostic colonoscopy, it needs to be done yearly.

Generally 50 is a good number but you can do it before that time.

If you knew your risk for colon cancer, it would guide you in terms of which diagnostic test to get. If you are low risk you can do a non invasive FOBT (fecal occult blood test) which doesn't involve anything but putting your poop on a slide. It's also not expensive. However, unlike a screening or diagnostic colonoscopy, it needs to be done yearly.
Add: but if you are higher risk a colonoscopy is the way to go.

Were you the executor over your parents health care.
Nope. I was technically the executor when she died, but I never had anything to do with her healthcare.

My folks really had no estate. I bought their house from my mom before she died so the gubment wouldn't take it and my brother bought her car. That paid off her remaining mortgage and a few bills. Funnily enough the bill to the funeral home was $1,400 and change, and within twenty bucks or so that was what she had left in the bank.

50 is the benchmark....but earlier is always better.

At 50, they found polyps and had me come back in 3 years.
At 53, they found less polyps and had me come back in 5 years
My last one was at age 63...clear...I now have a 7 year window.
I didn't do my first one until 58 where they found polyps and did the 3 year thing. Then clear @ 60. And yesterday they found polyps again so I'm back in 3 years.

I did read recently where the recommendation is 45 for doing this. Definitely do it whenever you can, as soon as you can.

It's unfortunate you don't have knowledge of your parents medical history. Sounds like it was less than ideal health anyway. The best thing you can do is get an annual physical and keep up to date on your own medical situation, i.e. knowing your blood pressure, cholesterol numbers, etc.

I lost a good friend earlier this year, he went to bed one night and never woke up. Turns out, he had cardiovascular problems. But since he never went to a doctor, no one knew. Had plenty of money to go to a doctor any time he wanted, he just didn't think it necessary. Sure wish he had.

I lost a childhood friend at 53 to colon cancer. March of 2020, just before the pandemic. There is zero downside to getting the castle stormed. Even most cases of colon cancer are treatable if caught early. Unfortunately my friend's wasn't.

I lost a childhood friend at 53 to colon cancer. March of 2020, just before the pandemic. There is zero downside to getting the castle stormed. Even most cases of colon cancer are treatable if caught early. Unfortunately my friend's wasn't.
From what I understand insurance won't pay for it until your either 45 or 50 depending on the company.

Be a good reason to get out of Iowa for awhile if you've been cognizant of the upcoming weather reports....
It won't be much better in Nashville, and may be worse relative to normal. Fortunately the game isn't until a well from Friday and their weather will recover somewhat.

It won't be much better in Nashville, and may be worse relative to normal. Fortunately the game isn't until a well from Friday and their weather will recover somewhat.

It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey clear down in South Carolina. There must be one helluva system moving through.

Made me chuckle. I had relatives in central-Arkansas and at the first sniff of snow...schools closed, people stayed home and TP/milk/eggs were not to be found. Alcohol either.

Add: but if you are higher risk a colonoscopy is the way to go.

If you are higher risk you would not be given the choice to do the stool test, this if you are following physician's recommendations. If the fecal test comes back showing the possibility of something, most likely they would recommend a FU colonoscopy for further evaluation.

The advantage of doing the fecal test for low risk patients is to potentially stop the need for a colonoscopy.

Again, heed the advice of your physician.

Latest posts