An Idea for the Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
The morons at Microsoft have rigged Word so it thinks "irregardless" is a typo. So annoying.
I hate this one. Irregardless is a single-word double negative that should be punishable by a $50 fine, but it's become so ingrained that its actually considered a word. Thus we can cast aspersions at people who use it, but they're technically correct because it's in the rule book. Dictionaries do tell you it's a word, but they also tell you you're a moron for using it ("nonstandard" is a dictionary's nice way of telling you you're a moron if you use that particular word).

Some rocket scientist confused irrespective and regardless a hundred years ago and now we all have to suffer for it.

As mentioned on the latest On Iowa podcast by Morehouse and Dochterman, Iowa is one of the few teams in the B1G that plays the anthem before the game while the players are out from the locker room. Only Northwestern and Michigan State (and 10 schools nationally) also do the same. It will be interesting to see if that changes when teams return to play.

For decades, many big-time college football programs, including Penn State, have kept some of the university’s highest-profile players off the field during the anthem as part of their pregame routine. As anti-racism protests continue across the world, these traditions could change to allow players to show solidarity with the movement.

Well good for Iowa, MSU, jNW and those few other schools for having the teams on the field.

I mean everyone who is in attendance at the stadium and who can be out to view the playing of the national anthem should be out there including the players. The song is played for a reason and to present the colors so I think the players should be out there instead of hearing some last minute instructions from their coach, taking a piss, chatting it up, stretching etc.

I think I'm going to start a few catch-all threads on Monday for the political/social issue/health issues/etc that are overlapping with sports, particularly Hawkeye athletics. In those, we'll contain the conversation on that and like topics.

I was thinking a COVID-19 thread for updates from Iowa on cases and general discussion on how it's impacting sports.

I was thinking a national anthem thread which can also contain social media posts from Iowa players and coaches on social issues.

I know we have these threads on here, but I'm going to lock them and start again with hopefully less inflammatory takes. We're going to eliminate flaming posts inciting unrest, politically and socially, unless there's a connection to Hawkeye sports. I know it won't be easy, but that's what I am going to do.

So, you have through Sunday to continue flaming each other. Monday morning we will turn the page to more productive discussion. That's my hope, anyway.

I do not want an off-topic forum but am open to other suggestions on how to proceed here.

Thanks,

The Management
I think one thread would suffice Rob, IMO

I hate this one. Irregardless is a single-word double negative that should be punishable by a $50 fine, but it's become so ingrained that its actually considered a word. Thus we can cast aspersions at people who use it, but they're technically correct because it's in the rule book. Dictionaries do tell you it's a word, but they also tell you you're a moron for using it ("nonstandard" is a dictionary's nice way of telling you you're a moron if you use that particular word).

Some rocket scientist confused irrespective and regardless a hundred years ago and now we all have to suffer for it.

We had this argument a few years ago.

less filling
Irregardless is not a word.

Less filling
GiantGrimyAnt-size_restricted.gif

It is a bad idea and I hope you will not do it.
Why? Seems like a good compromise to me.

People get a place to argue politics and COVID, and the rest of the threads don’t have to go all trainwrecky.

Or do you want to turn every thread into a train wreck ?

I think I hurt his feelings.

Or... maybe he has decided he's less enthusiastic about participating on a board ran by a person that literally called half of America, most likely including more than half of the people that view the board and generate his ad revenue, pieces of shit. I just learned of this from one of Rob's posts I read yesterday where he said that might have been a little heavy handed. Ya think?

Or... maybe he has decided he's less enthusiastic about participating on a board ran by a person that literally called half of America, most likely including more than half of the people that view the board and generate his ad revenue, pieces of shit. I just learned of this from one of Rob's posts I read yesterday where he said that might have been a little heavy handed. Ya think?

TK was over the top. No, not why he left.

Over the years TK has been brash, funny, witty and such , but not over the top right wing extreme. He was even supportive of Faith.

I can get the COVID stuff as far as TK s rather extreme posts but the race stuff, our nation needs to change. I would hope his confidence got to him at least enough to stop.

Race issues in the US won't really change until a lot of pain occurs with the majority. White kids are no longer the majority so that part will change. Iowa is just not representative of 80 percent of states or more so it will take longer.

I may not always agree w you but BS generally isn't your thing. Who else?
Those are the only two I know of but I’m sure there are others.

There’s a list on the board of like the top 5 or 6 posters by post count and likes. @tksirius doesn’t appear on either one anymore.

@revkev73 because Rob said he banned him.

If you want to find out if a user is banned type their username in a post preceded by “@“

If it’s a valid user you’ll get a pop up allowing you to just click on their username rather than type the whole thing out. A banned user you won’t. For example, type out “@ f r y o” and you’ll see my avatar pop up mid stream. Type “@ t k s i” and you won’t.

@PCHawk didn’t get banned he just said he was going to quit posting.

Normally I’d say @InGoodCo has better shit to do like go to the Lakes and hangout, but Dickinson County is absolute COVID hell right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts