An Idea for the Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm going to start a few catch-all threads on Monday for the political/social issue/health issues/etc that are overlapping with sports, particularly Hawkeye athletics. In those, we'll contain the conversation on that and like topics.

I was thinking a COVID-19 thread for updates from Iowa on cases and general discussion on how it's impacting sports.

I was thinking a national anthem thread which can also contain social media posts from Iowa players and coaches on social issues.

I know we have these threads on here, but I'm going to lock them and start again with hopefully less inflammatory takes. We're going to eliminate flaming posts inciting unrest, politically and socially, unless there's a connection to Hawkeye sports. I know it won't be easy, but that's what I am going to do.

So, you have through Sunday to continue flaming each other. Monday morning we will turn the page to more productive discussion. That's my hope, anyway.

I do not want an off-topic forum but am open to other suggestions on how to proceed here.

Thanks,

The Management

As the "hangman" who has exhibited a recent propensity to going off the rails why don't you be straight forward and tell this forum that this is your echo chamber under construction?

All who choose to participate can lay your bricks or hit the bricks.

Reagan wanted America the Beautiful.
That song was inspired by the wiew atop Pike's Peak where a plaque stands today commerating the occasion.

We will be going to Colorado in four weeks but not going to Pike's Peak this time. We are going to Durango and the Mesa Verde area. It's actually a bit of a letdown because, unless there are forest fires they should have an awesome view up there right now.

Not to worry. We are flying into Denver, renting, then driving south to Walsenburg and then west on US 160 and there are splendid views all over that route.

As the "hangman" who has exhibited a recent propensity to going off the rails why don't you be straight forward and tell this forum that this is your echo chamber under construction?

All who choose to participate can lay your bricks or hit the bricks.

WELL. That post is incomprehensible.

Another board I visit has a specific area for Religion, Sex, Politics.

That is the ONLY place you can discuss that stuff.

Maybe an area called Politics and Social issues. You may want to get a volunteer to monitor it with specific guidlines to moderate it.

And while you moderate the rest of the board, any time these things pop up you immediately lock it.

Now this can look heavy handed and arbitrary, but if you make things clear from the start, there is no reason not to understand what goes where.

This site used to have an Off Topic section and it could get quite harsh on there. It was eliminated for that reason which was good because this is a sports web site. We have just had such supremely hypergolic issues in the last few months that it has spilled over to the forums. We all know what the flammable hypergolic issues are and I think Rob wants to confine the issues and posters to just a couple of threads.

good by me

I don’t agree with kneeling during the anthem, but since this is so polarizing, do players and coaches even need to be on the field during it? Just come out afterwards?

That is up to each school as some football teams come out after the anthem is over. So you are against kneeling but you are ok with just not being out of the locker room and being on the field when the anthem is played. Gotcha!!

You cant have it both ways.

I think I'm going to start a few catch-all threads on Monday for the political/social issue/health issues/etc that are overlapping with sports, particularly Hawkeye athletics. In those, we'll contain the conversation on that and like topics.

I was thinking a COVID-19 thread for updates from Iowa on cases and general discussion on how it's impacting sports.

I was thinking a national anthem thread which can also contain social media posts from Iowa players and coaches on social issues.

I know we have these threads on here, but I'm going to lock them and start again with hopefully less inflammatory takes. We're going to eliminate flaming posts inciting unrest, politically and socially, unless there's a connection to Hawkeye sports. I know it won't be easy, but that's what I am going to do.

So, you have through Sunday to continue flaming each other. Monday morning we will turn the page to more productive discussion. That's my hope, anyway.

I do not want an off-topic forum but am open to other suggestions on how to proceed here.

Thanks,

The Management
Heck ya, let’s discuss the Kung Flu and how the 8 states with the highest death tolls, with ranging populations and areas of the country are ran by democrats. :)

Heck ya, let’s discuss the Kung Flu and how the 8 states with the highest death tolls, with ranging populations and areas of the country are ran by democrats. :)
English isn't your first language, is it, bud?

Last edited:
English isn't your first language, is it bud?

Its the way kids are today man. Everything is twitter ease. Schools don't even teach/emphasize spelling any more past lower grades. We had one school administrator tell us straight out they don't because everyone uses something with spell check now anyway.

Its the way kids are today man. Everything is twitter ease. Schools don't even teach/emphasize spelling any more past lower grades. We had one school administrator tell us straight out they don't because everyone uses something with spell check now anyway.

Those spell check things don't always work, either. The morons at Microsoft have rigged Word so it thinks "irregardless" is a typo. So annoying.

And so we're clear, posts about politician's approach to handling COVID-19 will be done starting Monday. And calling the virus by the racist term used by the president is still racist even if you a put a smiley face after the comment. If you think it's funny, you probably think this is hilarious.

That is up to each school as some football teams come out after the anthem is over. So you are against kneeling but you are ok with just not being out of the locker room and being on the field when the anthem is played. Gotcha!!

You cant have it both ways.

As mentioned on the latest On Iowa podcast by Morehouse and Dochterman, Iowa is one of the few teams in the B1G that plays the anthem before the game while the players are out from the locker room. Only Northwestern and Michigan State (and 10 schools nationally) also do the same. It will be interesting to see if that changes when teams return to play.

For decades, many big-time college football programs, including Penn State, have kept some of the university’s highest-profile players off the field during the anthem as part of their pregame routine. As anti-racism protests continue across the world, these traditions could change to allow players to show solidarity with the movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.