Amara Darboh

I just think it's bad for recruiting if Kirk let's the best in state player to leave. I can accept him going to ISU but I can't stand the thought of ND or Biels getting their hands on him. It's the same with French last year. I know many didn't think he was as good as his rating was, but letting the best player in the state go out to Oregon sets a bad precedent and lets other coaches know the state of Iowa is open for business.

I like how people play the "ND hasn't been good in a long time, why would anybody want to go there" card. It's kind of like when certain posters bash kids who turn down the Iowa basketball program b/c they "don't want to be apart of something special and want to just go play for the traditionally strong schools." Perhaps ND haters will eventually comprehend that it's one of the top 5 most prestigious college football schools in the country, and a twenty year span isn't going to change that.

Look at the number of 4* and 5* that ND gets in comparison to the percentage of those that make it to the next level. Look at the records of ND and Iowa is the past 10 years. Iowa makes the most of what it gets. ND can't say the same. When you look at those things, its obvious that players that go to ND for football over Iowa are doing so due to ancient history and money in the program, not results.

I just think it's bad for recruiting if Kirk let's the best in state player to leave. I can accept him going to ISU but I can't stand the thought of ND or Biels getting their hands on him. It's the same with French last year. I know many didn't think he was as good as his rating was, but letting the best player in the state go out to Oregon sets a bad precedent and lets other coaches know the state of Iowa is open for business.

Unfortunately KF is not allowed to kidnap them!

I don't think that the Iowa coaches are "trying" to let him leave. I'm sure that they're recruiting him pretty hard.

I'm still one of the opinion that if Keenan Davis has a good season ... then I think that that could really bode well for Iowa's chances. Just a hunch ....

On the Sports Buddies show yesterday, they said the family that Darboh is living with are serious Domers, and that's why he's a ND lean. They seemed to think that Iowa would be the second choice--don't recall any mention of UW.

Notre Dame isn't prestigious one bit. What they have is a national following that allows them to have pretty deep pockets. That then ensures that they have nice facilities all that.

Part of what Notre Dame has benefited from lately is that they've had a bit of turn-style at the coaching spot ... and that has allowed them to pitch a pretty nice sales line .... "Yes, you can help to restore the greatness of this tradition-rich program." And yes, I acknowledge that that is a pretty good sales pitch.

However, the problem is that it still doesn't change the fact that Notre Dame has been pretty irrelevant for a good while. Despite all the stupid-a$$ love that they get on TV ... they never live up to the hype.

The prestige of Notre Dame is by and large in the memory of their faithful.

I admit, Notre Dame has themselves a pretty good coach ... and their O is a rather attractive one for a WR. However, all the same, how many of Cinci's WRs were beating down the doors for the pros?

Quite frankly Notre Dame's WRs, prior to Kelly's arrival, were more attractive to the pros because Charlie ran a pro-friendly O.

ND isn't prestigious? Good one. Just b/c you don't like them doesn't mean they're not prestigious. There's a reason why they are still able to recruit 4 and 5 stars while sucking the last ten years, and it has nothing to do with the "memory of their faithful." And Iowa isn't exactly WR U either so I don't think we can use that pitch.

Look at the number of 4* and 5* that ND gets in comparison to the percentage of those that make it to the next level. Look at the records of ND and Iowa is the past 10 years. Iowa makes the most of what it gets. ND can't say the same. When you look at those things, its obvious that players that go to ND for football over Iowa are doing so due to ancient history and money in the program, not results.

Blake Larsen and Ryan Bain would care to differ.

For the number of 4* and 5* players ND gets, they really haven't put many players into the NFL, particularly during Weis' tenure. I think things will change w/ Kelly, as I think they'll start having considerably more success. The guy wins basically wherever he goes, and usually when programs have success, their players start getting drafted. I think Bobby Diaco also running a 3-4 there will help put players into the NFL, as it seems more teams are going to 3-4 schemes and looking for player versatility. Also, if IA was in ND's position and ended the prior season winning their last 4 games, including their bowl game, I think most fans would be eager for the next season. Whether you like or loathe Kelly and ND, it's hard to argue he doesn't seem to have ND going in the right direction.

As for the comment re Cincinnati WR's, I can recall Marty Gilyard being drafted w/in the last couple years, and that's one more WR than I recall Ferentz having drafted as of late (though I think DJK would've been drafted last year).

I hope Darboh goes wherever he feels is the best fit, but if it's not IA, I'd much prefer it ND to Wisconsin.

Blake Larsen and Ryan Bain would care to differ.

Wow, pathetic attempt.. I'd like you to compare how many 4 and 5 star recruits ND has had compared to Iowa and then compare how many players each school has put in the NFL in the last 12 years. Good luck.

Wow, pathetic attempt.. I'd like you to compare how many 4 and 5 star recruits ND has had compared to Iowa and then compare how many players each school has put in the NFL in the last 12 years. Good luck.

4 or 5* drafted at Iowa since 2002
4* 6-20 (30%)
5* 0-2 (0%)

Players drafted since 2000
Iowa 39
ND 46

My argument isn't Weis, Willingham, and Davie do a better job developing recruits than Ferentz b/c that's false, it's that ND is a prestigious program that is desirable for recruits.

Most posters critical of ND just aren't objective. They dislike the school in the same manner that many dislike the Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys, etc. It's fine to dislike them, but that's not a good reason to say they're not prestigious. It's easy to tell objectivity when a poster criticizes Kelly for not churning out WR's and only one person calls him/her out for it.

Number of Iowa WR's drafted since 2003: zero

ND isn't prestigious? Good one. Just b/c you don't like them doesn't mean they're not prestigious. There's a reason why they are still able to recruit 4 and 5 stars while sucking the last ten years, and it has nothing to do with the "memory of their faithful." And Iowa isn't exactly WR U either so I don't think we can use that pitch.

I suppose that you just might be too daft to differentiate between "hype" and "prestige."

Copied the definition of prestige from dictionary.com

"reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes."

Notre Dame has 11 national titles, 100+ AA's, 7 Heisman trophy winners and the second highest winning percentage of all time. If I had to choose between hype and prestige I think I'd stick with the latter.

Copied the definition of prestige from dictionary.com

"reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes."

Notre Dame has 11 national titles, 100+ AA's, 7 Heisman trophy winners and the second highest winning percentage of all time. If I had to choose between hype and prestige I think I'd stick with the latter.

Hype? Iowa, with this coaching staff has had a much better last decade than ND. Iowa's won conference championships and won BCS games while ND is habitually the biggest underachiever in developing highly recruited talent, Iowa has been consistently among the very best programs in turning lightly recruited players into NFL players. At Iowa players get their potential optimally developed at South Bend players have spent much of their time wondering who the next ND savior will be while they reread their unrealized recruiting hype. Of course, ND does have a more impressive, if dusty, trophy case.

Hype? Iowa, with this coaching staff has had a much better last decade than ND. Iowa's won conference championships and won BCS games while ND is habitually the biggest underachiever in developing highly recruited talent, Iowa has been consistently among the very best programs in turning lightly recruited players into NFL players. At Iowa players get their potential optimally developed at South Bend players have spent much of their time wondering who the next ND savior will be while they reread their unrealized recruiting hype. Of course, ND does have a more impressive, if dusty, trophy case.

Did you read anything I just wrote?

If you think Iowa is more prestigious than Notre Dame I don't know what to tell you.

Notre Dame is prestigious, no doubt. But at this point, their prestige is waning in the direction of Minnesota's. Very impressive history and tradition, but for some time now haven't been able to live up to that high standard.

Notre Dame is prestigious, no doubt. But at this point, their prestige is waning in the direction of Minnesota's. Very impressive history and tradition, but for some time now haven't been able to live up to that high standard.

Do you think Iowa is a more prestigious school than Notre Dame?

Do you think Iowa is a more prestigious school than Notre Dame?

No, of course not. My point was that ND's prestige is getting rather dusty, and SHOULD be less relevant now than it was 15-20 years ago. It doesn't appear to be, which is a testament to how iconic ND football really is. But they've done nothing to add to it in the last 15 years.

A big part of what's kept them well above water in the recruiting battle is ESPN. They desperately want Notre Dame to be great again, and hype them up all the time. Combine that with the Irish's history, and recruits can't wait to get there, only to be disappointed.

Iowa will never have THAT kind of prestige. Period.

Last edited:
No, of course not. My point was that ND's prestige is getting rather dusty, and SHOULD be less relevant now than it was 15-20 years ago. It doesn't appear to be, which is a testament to how iconic ND football really is. But they've done nothing to add to it in the last 15 years.

A big part of what's kept them well above water in the recruiting battle is ESPN. They desperately want Notre Dame to be great again, and hype them up all the time. Combine that with the Irish's history, and recruits can't wait to get there, only to be disappointed.

Iowa will never have THAT kind of prestige. Period.

I'm in complete agreement with this.

Latest posts