Amara Darboh

ND and Iowa competed on 7 recruits last season (of the recruits that ended up signing with either Iowa or ND) ND signed 5, Iowa signed 2.

This post is making my head hurt. We are all trying to survive until football season gets here.

BTW Dexter, love the "cut" of your jib~

if he goes to ND so be it. but if he plays for Beilema i'm gonna puke. i know he's a Hawkeye but i can't stand his arrogant a$$. I wish I was man enough to hold him down and scrape that Tigerhawk off his leg. :)

The one's Iowa got were Hamilton and Coe. Although Coe isn't on the team we techinically "beat out" ND for him. Although I'm thinking he might have had some academic problems at ND.

And they beat us out for Aaron Lynch (5*, #2 DE). That's in addition to two other 5* DE, the #1 TE (5*), and six other 4* recruits.

Yeah, they don't attract the highly-touted recruits. Not at all :rolleyes:

If I were 18 and being recruited it would be more desirable.

Iowa City = better college atmosphere

Iowa City = cooler city

Hawkeyes = better contemporary success

Hawkeyes = better shot at the NFL (KF more respected by the NFL than 99% of college coaches)

Rather play in a top BCS conference versus independent schedule

Hawkeyes = better stability (N.D. has had 4 coaches in 10 years?)

Failed to mention that Iowa's atleast been relevant since these recruits have been alive. Nothing against ND, I acknowledge that they are a very prestigious university, however I don't see how being off the radar in terms of being a MNC contender the past 20 years can't negatively influence recruits. Prestigous yes, but not in an 18 year olds life time. I just don't get it.

Failed to mention that Iowa's atleast been relevant since these recruits have been alive. Nothing against ND, I acknowledge that they are a very prestigious university, however I don't see how being off the radar in terms of being a MNC contender the past 20 years can't negatively influence recruits. Prestigous yes, but not in an 18 year olds life time. I just don't get it.

They haven't been relevant in my lifetime (or at least in my memory), but Notre Dame still rings a particular bell. Even though they haven't been relevant, they have a similar air about them as the Yankees do.

They haven't been relevant in my lifetime (or at least in my memory), but Notre Dame still rings a particular bell. Even though they haven't been relevant, they have a similar air about them as the Yankees do.

I wouldn't degrade them to the point of comparison with the hated Yankees.

To me it's not a question of who has the more prestige, if I were a highly regarded player I'd take a look at what is this coaching staff going to do for me.

How well do I fit into this team, this offense?

Do I like the coaches and players?

How effectively has this coaching staff developed players like me?

What is the quality of the coaching staff in the areas that will most affect me?

In short-how effectively will I fit with this program, and how well are they likely to get the most out of my potential?

Granted, like the ND posters, I'm biased, but WR coach, Eric Campbell, has helped develop many WRs at UM and now at Iowa. He has a strong legacy as a position coach with turning many of them into pro players. From his Iowa coaching bio on his tenure at UM--

"Campbell coached three All-Americans during his tenure -- David Terrell, Marquise Walker and Edwards -- and had four players receive the Bo Schembechler Most Valuable Player team award. Campbell's players have earned All-Big Ten honors 17 times, including nine first-team citations and eight second-team honors". "Campbell joined the Michigan staff in 1995 and coached some of Michigan's top wide receivers. His list of NFL products includes: Amani Toomer, a second-round draft pick of the New York Giants (1996); Mercury Hayes, a fifth-round pick of the New Orleans Saints (1996); 1997 Heisman Trophy winner Charles Woodson, a first-round pick of the Oakland Raiders (1998); Streets, a fifth-round pick of the San Francisco 49ers (1999); Marcus Knight, a free agent pickup of the Oakland Raiders (2000); Terrell, the eighth pick of the 2001 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears; Walker, a third-round selection by the Tampa Bay Buccanneers (2002); free agent signee Ronald Bellamy by the Miami Dolphins (2003); Edwards, the third pick of the 2005 NFL Draft by the Cleveland Browns; Jason Avant, a fourth-round pick of the Philadelphia Eagles (2006); Steve Breaston, a fifth-round selection of the Arizona Cardinals (2007); Mario Manningham, a third-round pick of the New York Giants (2008); Adrian Arrington, a seventh-round selection of the New Orleans Saints (2008); and Myers, taken in the sixth round by Oakland in 2009. Edwards capped a record-setting career by winning the 2004 Biletnikoff Award as the top wide receiver in college football."

The Strength and Conditioning program is one of the best in the country. I'd know that they're going to do a great job in increasing the physical qualities that will make me a great player. Qualities that are critical in becoming a viable NFL prospect. That few would be able to raise me, physically, to my highest level. I'd know I'm going into a pro-style offense(I believe ND plays a pass-spread) that will be a easily translate to the next level and make it relatively easy for scouts to gauge my ability to go from college to pro (if that's something that was significant to me.). I'm not going to argue that academically Iowa is the superior school or that Iowa has the better football tradition. Academically what specific curriculum I would be interested in and where I wanted to work would have a larger impact than the overall quality of the school. Of course, Notre Dame, has a number of significant positive aspects to it. If I were primarily concerned about what a program would do to develop my football abilities to their optimum as a good sized WR. It's clear Iowa would be the better choice. I don't see how a spread offense would help you develop better than a pro-style offense with a quality position coach, a excellent S&C program, and a former NFL coach still highly respected by the league at the head coaching position.

And they beat us out for Aaron Lynch (5*, #2 DE). That's in addition to two other 5* DE, the #1 TE (5*), and six other 4* recruits.

Yeah, they don't attract the highly-touted recruits. Not at all :rolleyes:

To had they don't do anything with them, right now ND is all about the name and that is it, not results on the FB field.

To had they don't do anything with them, right now ND is all about the name and that is it, not results on the FB field.

Erik Campbell now resides in IC. I hope, Amara, he takes into consideration not only Coach C's work in Ann Arbor but, turning a QB into a all-conference NFL draftable WR and developing the most productive WR in the history of the program. I'm also a UM fan, and aren't going to bash Hoke and Borges, but clearly, the level of stability and the quality of coaching from a position level to S&C to the head coach at Iowa isn't going to be easily matched.

And if you read all of my posts in this thread, you'll see that I've not once suggested otherwise. But their name still has a lot of pull with the "elite" recruits. To deny that much is plain foolish, because the results (recruiting-wise) speak for themselves.

Life goes on if he does not select the Hawks. That being said, would rather he end up at ND versus Wisky ... He has to choose the right place for him and that is what matters.

I feel fairly confident that Amara will not go to any Big 10 school other than Iowa (i.e. Wisconsin or Michigan.) At least not at this point. Florida appears enticing with the SEC reputation, and they want him badly, but Notre Dame is pitching a pretty good offer too, and with Coach Kelly showing plenty of improvement this past week, it's looking solid. Michigan and Wisconsin, comparatively, may appear fairly similar to Iowa, and with more Dowling seniors going to Iowa than UW or UM, it might influence his decision. Beyond all of this, I want you to know that he has a model character that every student athlete should strive for. In the hallways at class, he addresses people by their first names, even when he doesn't know them personally. He always speaks positively of individuals and is incredibly humble. He's simply a fantastic guy if you ever get the chance to meet him in person; I'm blessed that I have been able to go to school with him the past four years.
-DCHS senior

Anybody see Dowling put Darboh in at DE on the last series of the state championship game? First play he busted through and sacked the QB. Hes a freak and I say that because I saw him easily dunk a bball barefoot when he was an 8th grader. One of his buddies that was a senior this year was chosen as a preferred walk-on for ND and supposedly is trying to get Amara to come to ND as well.

Having been to school with both of these people at Dowling, I know who you're talking about but any "convincing" to get him to ND is simply talk that anybody would give to back up their college choice.

I've seen him play, he's a good high school player. Yawn. If he goes to Iowa great, if he doesn't I could care less.

Latest posts