Amara Darboh

Do you think Iowa is a more prestigious school than Notre Dame?

If I were 18 and being recruited it would be more desirable.

Iowa City = better college atmosphere

Iowa City = cooler city

Hawkeyes = better contemporary success

Hawkeyes = better shot at the NFL (KF more respected by the NFL than 99% of college coaches)

Rather play in a top BCS conference versus independent schedule

Hawkeyes = better stability (N.D. has had 4 coaches in 10 years?)

Iowa City = cooler city

Hawkeyes = better shot at the NFL (KF more respected by the NFL than 99% of college coaches)

Yes but you're also a Hawkeye football fan so you're biased. It quite obviously isn't more desirable to 18 year old kids.

I really hate the fact that I'm defending ND here for the record.

Dexter, have you ever been to South Bend? Compared to Iowa City it is a reat shi*hole.

Iowa City = cooler city

Dexter, have you ever been to South Bend? Compared to Iowa City it is a reat shi*hole.

Really, these are just making the case for ND's prestige even stronger. Look how many things they have stacked against them and they're still plucking top 15-20 classes every year.

Throw academics in there as well.

Really, these are just making the case for ND's prestige even stronger. Look how many things they have stacked against them and they're still plucking top 15-20 classes every year.

Throw academics in there as well.
Getting top 20 recruiting classes and still can't win!

Yes but you're also a Hawkeye football fan so you're biased. It quite obviously isn't more desirable to 18 year old kids.

They get better recruits because they have a worse record than us?

Great logic. Stop doing what the recruiting sites do - basing their excellence on past glory.

I know you believe their 85 kids are better than Iowa's. But that's YOUR bias - there is no scientific way to prove superiority either way (unless you choose to use contemporary on the field performance, and that will not aid your argument)

I wish this wasn't so contentious. American society confuses being famous with being talented and prestigious. Walt Disney was famous and talented and prestigious - Casey Anthony is famous and not talented nor prestigious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great logic. Stop doing what the recruiting sites do - basing their star-ratings on past glory.

I know you believe their 85 kids are better than Iowa's. But that's YOUR bias - there is no scientific way to prove superiority either way (unless you choose to use contemporary on the field performance, and that will not aid your argument)

I wish this wasn't so contentious. American society confuses being famous with being talented and prestigious. Walt Disney was famous and talented and prestigious - Casey Anthony is famous and not talented nor prestigious.

Where did I say, or even imply that?

and I should have said "higher rated" recruiting classes. Not better.

EDIT: Upon review, I haven't even said either.

Last edited:

You said it was more desirable to 18 yr old kids. What were you basing that on?

Semantics and parsing = white flag of surrender.

BTW, when people hate to do something, they usually don't do it. Especially if it's voluntary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great logic. Stop doing what the recruiting sites do - basing their excellence on past glory.

This entire post is ridiculous. We pride ourselves on taking the kids who fall through the cracks and developing them. Notre Dame gets more of the "elite" recruits. Obviously many of those guys don't pan out. But their recruiting classes look much better on paper.

I suppose that if Darboh goes to ND that we never wanted him in the first place? He's either good or he's not, and I think people around the country are of the general opinion that he's good.

Nowhere has it been said that Notre Dame's 85 are better than Iowa's. But they get more of the "elite" recruits than we do. After that it all depends on a lot of different factors, with natural talent usually being pretty low on the list.

And you're confusing "famous" for "infamous". There's a big difference.

I think it's obvious that it's more attractive to the "elite" recruits than Iowa is. I can't believe you're struggling with this concept so much. I mean my God, I hate Notre Dame with a passion, and don't think they're worth a s*it anymore, but only a fool would deny that they still have a lot of pull with recruits.

BTW, when people hate to do something, they usually don't do it. Especially if it's voluntary.

If I really cared enough I could go back and look at recruits that had offers from both ND and Iowa and get some solid proof but I really don't want to. I'm pretty confident ND would win out more often than not in those scenarios however.

I think it's obvious that it's more attractive to the "elite" recruits than Iowa is. I can't believe you're struggling with this concept so much. I mean my God, I hate Notre Dame with a passion, and don't think they're worth a s*it anymore, but only a fool would deny that they still have a lot of pull with recruits.

Elite recruits? Again, is that defined by NFL status; bowl records or star-ratings? I think superficiality and subjectiveness are concepts you need to explore further.

BTW, your name-calling doesn't make you compelling.

If I really cared enough I could go back and look at recruits that had offers from both ND and Iowa and get some solid proof but I really don't want to. I'm pretty confident ND would win out more often than not in those scenarios however.

Being confident about a personal bias in favor of media glory doesn't say alot.

Elite recruits? Again, is that defined by NFL status; bowl records or star-ratings? I think superficiality and subjectiveness are concepts you need to explore further.

BTW, your name-calling doesn't make you compelling.

The name seems fitting, considering that the quotation marks around "elite" should have served as a hint regarding what I think of their on-field production. But nobody can always predict what a recruit will do in college. ON PAPER, they are elite recruits. So clearly, Notre Dame still has pull with highly-rated (just in case you need things spelled out) recruits. Just because they fail to develop said recruits doesn't mean that the players all suck.

Just as one example: We recruit/develop DJK and McNutt. Notre Dame recruits Michael Floyd and Golden Tate.

Last edited:

Latest posts